Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Friends Are Evil posted:

New Swans track is up on Pitchfork.

This is somehow the most danceable song Swans has ever done, terrifying bursts of noise aside. I'm so loving stoked for this.

Goddamn I'm loving this.

Also, I'm in, I love Swans but I've never done an intensive listen like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Friends Are Evil posted:

Bring the Sun is somehow more crazy and expansive than The Seer, which I didn't realize was a thing that could happen.

:stare:

I'm holding off for the real release. I'm so excited, I don't understand how anything could be more expansive than The Seer.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Superimposition posted:

A friend of mine organized and put together a Swans tribute record of over 30 tracks. Contributors include Planning For Burial or I Do Not Love, so it's definitely worth checking out; http://chvrchdvstrecords.bandcamp.com/

He got Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! on there, that's awesome!

In other news, got a ticket for Swans in Brighton. gently caress. Yes.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Bring The Sun, just, loving, Bring The Sun, what a loving track.

:vince:

While Seer is a better album, Bring The Sun is a far great goliath than The Seer.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 6, 2014

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Astrochicken posted:

This is my favorite of the last three so far.

I especially like the ending to The National Anthem... i mean.. A Little God in my Hands. Catchy tune.

Ending a song with by twisting the knobs on a bunch of delay pedals is kind of standard fare for post-rock-ish-bands these days, but some how Swans make it sound so much bigger than other bands.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

nomapple posted:

Gave it a first listen today. It's good, it feels more different to The Seer than I was expecting. I've seen a lot of people say that even on first listen they were more into it than The Seer, but for me I definitely like The Seer more at the moment. Still, 2 hours is a long listen and I need more time with it before I cast any serious judgement.

The Seer is a far better album but Bring The Sun is such a strong song.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

This is an excellent post and I agree with all of it. My recommendation is actually to work through their discography backwards, and slowly. Really digest every album, listen four or five times at least, which I know is a ten hour time synch for three albums, but it's worth it, there's so much there that you'll miss your first time through. Swans, in my experience, get more challanging as you move backwards, broadly (The Great Annihilator being the biggest exception I can think of, being almost acceptable to put on in polite company). I love Swans but I've never managed to get into Holy Money and before.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That is definitely helpful, thank you! :unsmith: Now I have a direction to go in, I just need a good amount of time to devote to digesting it all (as you said, Cymbal Monkey).

Be sure to post trip reports!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Oxygen definitely has a lot of early Swans in it, but with the impeccable production they show in their post-reformation albums.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

Just listened to Bring The Sun, sceptically, for the GYBE comparison and aye...very similar to Gamelan / Mladic. Need to listen to To Be Kind more (despite that loving album cover).

F#A#∞ is ripped straight from Soundtracks for the Blind. Probably best to start there if Godspeed is what you're after.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Hidden Mother posted:

Listening to Soundtracks For The Blind for the first time in years and, my word, I'd forgotten how strange it is, even (or perhaps especially) coming from Swans. I'm still not entirely sure whether I really enjoy it or not but it's definitely got a really weird, dark atmosphere that's absolutely like nothing else I've ever heard.

As far as I'm aware a stranger album has never been made. I'm welcome to contenders though.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I still haven't started my reverse Swans journey yet, but I will. I have The Seer, I just need to prepare myself to listen to it. If that's even possible...

Michael Gira would probably suggest climbing in a sweat lodge and punching yourself in the face repeatedly first.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Skittle Wood posted:

Found the Burning World at Amoeba in SF for $12 so I'm pretty excited to finally give it a listen after going through most of the readily available albums.

Gira himself said he hates that album.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Gira just sounds bored for the entire album.

Michael Gira posted:

I abhor that record. Bill Laswell is a very good producer, but we didn't mesh well. I was intimidated and sang in this cramped, monotone way. It didn't sell, and we got dropped.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Mutation posted:

Speaking of Gira saying things, does anyone have that interview where he talks about the goat killing/blood orgy thing?

This surprises me only a little bit.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

:stare: loving Michael Gira.

Argali posted:

more rewarding and influential than the last two, which are a real mixed bag in my opinion. (The Seer was a study in pointless overindulgence.)

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 24, 2014

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

If I ever have a child, I'm going to name it gently caress.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I have a flight from London to Seattle next Wednesday, gonna listen from White Light through to To Be Kind in one, unbroken go. :getin:

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

sharktamer posted:

On my way home from seeing swans in brixton. Rad as gently caress and so intense.

Worst loving crowd though. If any of you were squeezing past over and over to get booze in the middle of songs, eat a dick.

I was there too. loving insane, but you're right, people were pushing through all the loving time!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

Listened to Filth today. Killed me. Not a good way to start your week. loving relentless. Can I skip to the Annihilator? Had to put on Drive soundtrack to cleanse my soul.

Their big shift in style starts are Children of God. If you're going to skip, skip there.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

God Of Paradise posted:

Weird band. Completely atypical in their trajectory.

30 years after their first album, they put out their best record. The new one is amazing as well. This is the period when most acts are doing one last old-man reunion tour as a nostalgia cash grab. Swans? They put out their best record and quickly make another that's just as good.

I met Gira briefly and he told me he has no intention of slowing down. I've heard the new material, Black Hole Madness is their new "big song" I believe. It's a loving powerhouse, more so than The Seer. He said it was a vicious circle because his tours are both where he promotes the new album as well as writes the next one, so as long as he's touring, he's working on new material.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Akarshi posted:

Never listened to Swans before, but I'm going to try to get into them. I have no idea what to expect other than 'depressing' and 'post-rock', so I'm looking forward to this. I'm guessing that I should start at Filth?

Both "depressing" and "post-rock" are wrong. It's more like music for BDSM dungeons. Filth is not a bad place to start but their first couple albums are really different from the later stuff. I'd start with some combo of Filth (Cop if you're feeling brave), The Seer and White Light From The Mouth of Infinity, that covers most of the bases.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

God Of Paradise posted:

Pick up this year's record. It's the number one most critically acclaimed album released in 2014 according to sites that aggregate reviews.

I've listened to Swans for the past seventeen years. I saw them as a teenager on their final tour in 97. I saw them in 2012 touring The Seer material. In between I've caught Angels of Light twice.

I've listened to every album Gira has ever released to the public. And I can tell you their best studio album is probably The Seer.

My favorite is what I figured to be their final record of their final tour, Swans Are Dead. But that's because they're better live than on album.

The only Swans albums I'm not fond of are My Father Will Guide Me A Rope Up To The Sky, and Kill The Child.

That surprises me, I thought The Burning World was widely agreed to be atrocious. I quite like My Father.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

They played Black Hole Man when I saw them in London, it's loving nuts. The next album is going to be at least as insane as The Seer and To Be Kind.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Franz von Dada posted:

and the trilogy will be perfect

Trilogy implies Gira won't keep making albums like this forever. Don't say that.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Pretty sure they ended on it.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Very occasionally they'll reach back and play A Screw or something (The Seer started as an extended intro to A Screw), but they normally play current and new material.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Soundtracks is probably my favourite Swans album, it's an absolute slog to get through but there's just nothing else like it.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Anyone heard Drainland? I just found it, sounds pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeNc4tI5km8

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I saw Swans last night at the Roundhouse and the new version of A Little God is absolutely mind blowing, they've changed up the bass line a bit.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

I feel like The Body Lovers is criminally underlooked. It's Gira, Jarboe, and co basically continuing the Soundtracks-era noisescapes and drones. Goddamn harrowing too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrOCteaZfns

Last time I talked to Gira he told me this is one of his favourite things he's done.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

sharktamer posted:

It was awesome, it's a shame the acoustics at the roundhouse suck so hard.

You weren't that twat wearing the top hat were you?

Haha, nah, only a fedora adornes my neck bearded head. I did see that guy, quite a twat indeed.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

:confused:

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

You had me at "Public Castration"

:fap:

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

So, Swans fans, I've recently gotten hold of Au De La by BIG|BRAVE, which is basically the most ferocious thing since Filth and Cop. I can't say enough about this album, it's absolutely mental, and if you like Swans you should really loving hear it.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

AtomicRust posted:

Messaged Swans on Facebook last night asking about possible vinyl issues of the later 90s albums (Soundtracks onward), because I wasn't sure if that had ever been addressed. Gira responded, and confirmed that, gradually, all the Swans releases will be seeing vinyl issues!

Super excited to see how the Soundtracks packaging will be done!

It would be super cool to see Soundtracks packaged with Body Lovers/Body Haters.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I'm properly torn up by this. Deified Data data summed up my thoughts on rape accusations in general extremely well with regard to taking them seriously but not making assumptions.

But on the other hand, if you listen to Drainland, it becomes clear that Gira can turn into a nasty piece of work when he's been drinking. I really, really hope the proof his wife has (her statement was in extremely poor taste) pans out, and that Gira can convincingly clear his name. If he can't, gently caress. Like, even if suddenly this whole thing just stops and we're left exactly where we are now, the thought will forever linger in my mind that one of the greatest musicians, not only responsible for Swans but the plethora of bands that took after Swans (almost the entire post-rock genre), is a loving rapist.

I actually feel ill.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I hope you literally do not complain about anything that's ever happened to you.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Mutant Standard posted:

mods please rename thread to "SWANS: From the Seer to Filth in one accusation" tia

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Carmant posted:

I'm going to be honest they should have stopped releasing music in *checks wikipedia page* 1996 and Gira should have killed himself or something to make the old Swans albums even cooler

That would have been very fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

modestmusashi posted:

When Will I Return? (Excerpt) (Official Audio)

That's loving incredible.

• Locked thread