Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n_w_f
Mar 31, 2010

80k posted:

So is anyone getting a head start on Filth? Does anyone think I should move the schedule ahead?

Don't move it ahead. I'm in too. Thank you for starting this thread. Gira and Swans got the lions share of rightful attention for The Seer last year and I remember the post-rock thread covering it, yet appraisal for the whole back catalog is long overdue. Like you, there's still parts of it I haven't fully explored and I've been faithfully listening to Swans as well as Angels of Light for about seven years now.

Filth. This was my first exposure to Swans and because of that are the first sounds I hear when Swans come to mind. The dual drumming approach, coupled with the higher tempos sounds very ingenue and gives this material more accessibility than the following albums. While Cop and Young God succeed in depressing the hell out of me with their mantra like dirges, there's a real liveliness to Filth that seems almost exclusive to the catalog. Gira's vocals on "Weakling" and "Big Strong Boss" (my personal favorite, absolutely adore the percussion) bring to mind a young Rollins. I think Norman Westberg's playing is fantastic and cathartic at once - seldom playing actual riffs, instead complimenting this percussive crunch of the music with inhuman sheets of noise. His playing often sounds like doors opening on rusty hinges, broken transmissions, things breaking. Once again, the dual percussion stands out, no doubt influencing industrial bands who'd employ it to far lesser effect (e.g. Pigface's album "Gub").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread