Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I'm totally up for this. Swans are a loving ordeal to listen to, but they're so worth it. Will any of Michael Gira's solo work or work with Angels of Light be covered? Drainland and How I Loved You are up there with some of Swans' best material.

EDIT: It should be worth mentioning that for those of us with limited budgets, most of Swans' catalog is up for streaming on Spotify. Filth, Soundtracks for the Blind, and Burning World are all notably unavailable on Spotify, but most of their discography should be up there.

As well, Rdio has most of their albums up for streaming. If anyone here has an Rdio subscription, that place might be worth looking into. Of course, you can probably find all their albums on Youtube or Grooveshark.

On a side note, if this ends up being a success, I think it'd be a good idea to try this for other weird, experimental bands with dense discographies. Coil or Current 93 might also be worth doing something similar for. Of course, Coil might be harder to do, seeing as most of their work is out of print and not likely to come back in print anytime soon.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

80k posted:

Yeah, with the availability of White Light and Love of Life on Spotify and YouTube, I have taken out the links to Various Failures.

I also added Omniscience to Love of Life week. I agree it is a great sounding live album. I am hesitant to add Swans are Dead to Soundtrack's week just due to the sheer volume, so I am thinking of adding in its own week... I guess 13 weeks is okay? (Edit: Whoops, I am an idiot… It looks like I had counted 12 weeks correctly in the first place accounting for Swans are Dead. I just forgot to put it in there. Fixed now).

I also added Real Love, Kill the Child, and Feel Good Now to its applicable week as optional. I could add the rest of the live albums, but I really didn't want to overwhelm people.

Just checked. White Light and Love of Life aren't actually on Spotify. They're most likely on YouTube, though.

As for live albums, I really think that Public Castration Is A Good Idea should be put up as an optional album with Greed/Holy Money. The whole album's up on Youtube. It's loving vicious and it demonstrates just how intense Swans' live show was back in the day.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 3, 2013

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I'm giving Filth another listen right now. Like other people have mentioned, Filth seems surprisingly more hooky and accessible than I remember it being. I remember it sounding more like Greed/Holy Money, but apparently my memories of this album were wrong. It's still really interesting how Westberg seems to play the guitar so much differently than usual.

That threesome of "Big Strong Boss", "Blackout", and "Power for Power" is probably the highlight of Filth. "Weakling"'s really strong, too.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

80k posted:

Anyone listening to Cop or Young God this week? Gave both a listen yesterday and loved it. However, I found myself immediately more drawn to Young God EP. The songs sound more expansive, more melodic, but still downright dark and terrifying. I Crawled may be my favorite and I can see why it has become one of their most enduring songs, being revived with live renditions up through their latest tour.

Yeah, Young God's easily the best of the two. I Crawled is amazing. Getting to see Gira perform it on their 2011 tour (not sure if it was supporting My Father Will Guide Me... or not) was a definite highlight.

This isn't for a while, but if you haven't heard Jarboe's take on I Crawled off Swans is Dead, you really owe it to yourself to hear it. It's somehow more terrifying than the original version.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 20, 2013

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but Swans is putting out another live CD to fund their next album. All the CDs are hand-printed from woodblocks. I would get one myself, but it's like 40 bucks.

Maybe this should just be a general thread about Swans?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Good Luck Charm posted:

Giving how i loved you a listen. First time in years :(

How I Loved You is an album best listened to while drunk and full of regret.

I mean this as a sincere compliment, of course.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 6, 2013

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Criminal Minded posted:

Yeah, they've gone from "Who?" to probably my favorite band over the past year and a half, ever since I got The Seer and started tracking back through their work - which, of course, only makes me appreciate The Seer even more. Ditto to The Great Annihilator, which is in my top handful of Swans albums along with The Seer, White Light from the Mouth of Infinity, and Soundtracks from the Blind, but it's all great. I haven't heard everything yet, but I'm pretty close - all I'm missing are a live album or two, The Burning World, and outtakes/b-sides. I can't help but wonder where they'll go on this next album, since The Seer is such a career-defining masterpiece. It's like, what's even left to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-3-HS4OByU

This is only a live video and thus probably not even close to what's going to be on the album, but the new stuff Swans has been performing is phenomenal. If the rest of the album goes in this direction, I'm gonna be so stoked.

I really don't think Swans can make a bad album. Even the Burning World is pretty good.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

New Swans track is up on Pitchfork.

This is somehow the most danceable song Swans has ever done, terrifying bursts of noise aside. I'm so loving stoked for this.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Out of curiosity, I checked out the "leak". It's not terrible quality for 96 kbps, though it could certainly sound a lot clearer. Bring the Sun is somehow more crazy and expansive than The Seer, which I didn't realize was a thing that could happen.

I can't wait to listen to this in higher quality than loving 96 kbps. Pre-ordering this the first day I can.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Superimposition posted:

A friend of mine organized and put together a Swans tribute record of over 30 tracks. Contributors include Planning For Burial or I Do Not Love, so it's definitely worth checking out; http://chvrchdvstrecords.bandcamp.com/

That Planning for Burial cover's really awesome, but I wouldn't expect any less from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

These allegations are genuinely heartbreaking, if true. Swans seriously changed my life and it feels like a betrayal to hear this.

The real response (not that fake email thing) on Swans' page feels very weak and does little to actually address the situation other than a vague "this is lies!".

• Locked thread