Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, this track was not what I was expecting at all but I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Bo Jackson posted:

I'm a big fan of everything Swans has done since 2010 (as well as Soundtracks for the Blind) and took it upon myself to check out the rest of their stuff. I've gotten through their first three albums in the last few days and unfortunately I can't say I'm a fan. They're wonderfully aggressive but I like their more recent post-rocky sound a lot more. Maybe I'm just a big baby.

You might want to check out their 90's stuff like White Light and Love of Life. It's a lot lighter in tone and more reminiscent of Gira's acoustic stuff.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

AtomicRust posted:

New album out in Sept, and will be the final album & tour for this incarnation of Swans

They're recording in September, album will probably come out next year. I'm interested in seeing where Gira takes things next after this album; I love the current incarnation of the band but it seems like a good idea to shake things up before they start to get too repetitive.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

cf posted:

The new one would make it a quadrilogy.

My Father doesn't really count; it's basically an Angels of Light album that became a Swans album halfway through recording.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ICHIBAHN posted:

Nah it's swans. They titled it so, personnel change doesn't matter.

Glad there's a new record coming. They are prolific. I love how they go about funding and creating music.

Obviously it's still Swans, it just doesn't really feel cut from the same cloth as Seer/TBK to me.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
This really bums me out :smith:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Gira just posted on Facebook that the allegations are untrue and that he will post an official statement soon: https://www.facebook.com/SwansOfficial/posts/10154568990646978

Sounds like that email screenshot is legit (e: nvm, guess it's not)

e:fb

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 26, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Michael Gira's wife just posted a statement: https://www.facebook.com/coveredwithstars/posts/10206691239732330?fref=nf

Jennifer Gira posted:

I was enjoying not being on FB precisely for the social media nightmare(s) I must rejoin to address now, due to a former musical "protege" on my husband Michael Gira's record label has accused him of being a rapist......in 2008. As you may know, Michael dropped Larkin, and she has been jilted about it ever since. Larkin may know in the past, Michael has shuddered and simply deleted her harassing emails/texts, rambling obsessive tomes, declarations of unrequited love, hate speech, and threats to him. but, guess what sweetheart!- his wife is well aware----and his wife, is rather analytical, organized, -and doesn't put up with any bullshit. I have PROOF, in Larkin's own hand, that her allegations of Michael raping her *did not happen.* I REPEAT It is false. (Larkin-you should have been much more careful whom you emailed/messaged/purged/"reached out" to in "heartfelt" way, etc etc, or in letting yourself use a computer, during what seems to have been from the illiad of messages sent to my husband that are c-r-a-z-y -suffering from a manic/bipolar or chemical relapse episode)That is unfortunate-for you. I have nothing but empathy for a person who has experienced assault. After all, *I* survived an extremely violent rape/kidnap attempt, which resulted in, (through my fighting hand to hand combat) in great injury to myself-but it saved my life. My entire life was affected. I was diagnosed with severe PTSD, panic disorder, and often have difficulty walking to my car in the Target parking lot after dark, sometimes bursting into tears. Do I like sharing such info on the internet? NO, but I feel at this juncture, I have no choice. I didn't have any "artist love affair" (puh-leeze) -it was a complete stranger. Nevertheless, it causes me such pain-daily, there is a song on a new Swans album, Michael wrote for me- (that I sing myself) I have not even listened to the song more than once since its recording, It upsets me so much to even hear myself sing it. This was, a loving attempt from Michael Gira to help me heal from such a horrible event. I take great insult in you accusing my husband of something like I went through. (And I have the police report, injury records, doctors, therapies, witnesses, etc) This isn't meant to be tit for tat, but, I hate liars. I hope people do share this post. -and I hope Larkin sees it, and I hope she is wrecked with nerves, because I repeat, I have *PROOF in her own hand* that what she wrote today is false about my husband. I am currently being muzzled (by atttorneys, managers, labels, and the like) but rest assured, the truth will come out. Larkin, you will publicly apologize, and face serious consequences. Please share. P.S anyone who bashed my husband or his music, when they see the proof- is going to feel like a complete fool.I hope you feel shame, and think about your actions. I am not negating a negative experience by a woman or man in a sexual context, or god forbid an assault on anyone, but it is SCARY AS HELL, that some mentally unbalanced (and admittedly so, *you'll see that too, once I release what I have*) can just post on Facebook, and the entire internet music press runs the story as "fact" -Any musician or artist in the public eye (or not, really this concerns everyone) should be wary, VERY WARY p.s. "the boy who cried wolf" is a great allegory for the starfucker-in the end- nobody listened to either of them howl.

lets see.... on the "mentally ill" tip-well as I just casually peruse a large file on my computer that I have called "LARKIN GRIM bullshit" -we have the phrases ( and I repeat, once again, in her own words, describing *herself*) as a "manipulative untrustworthy whore" "messed up narcissistic human"- ( I will get scolded for saying even that) -but It's all there. She's been evil and dishonest. I believe in white light, universal law, call it what you want- but I'm right, and she is so, so so wrong. I pity her. I have no fear, and neither should Michael, but he has two small children, a legacy, fans who respect him, and this isn't happening on my watch. No way. p.s. technically, as a survivor of a sexual/physical assault and having PTSD, I am classified as "ill"- and I do suffer, I have nightmares, flashbacks, 80 percent of movies make me cry, forget about Cormac McCarthy- it sucks, surviving sexual violence sucks- but you survive. I wish everyone the best. Do not believe this. If anyone is flying the flag for rape/violence victims, it is m0therfucking me!- if you bought the fundraising cd, you've already heard michael sing my song- if you are waiting for the record- I hope you enjoy me giving it at go, or if you were raped, hurt, fought in a war, victimized, or feel lost- it gives you some peace-I will probably not listen to it ever again.

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Feb 26, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

I really hate to see stuff like this for a multitude of reasons that I don't feel like typing here, but one of the many things that I find confusing is the fake email. I guess we don't have context for it, but what the gently caress? Does someone have michaelgira@gmail.com, and did some random person email that account and ask about the rape allegations? Maybe there's a very obvious explanation that I fail to come up with on my own. Just very odd.

It's a screenshot that was circulated on 4chan, sounds like a pretty easy thing to fake

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Deified Data posted:

Texts/emails from Larkin that literally spell out her plan to destroy Gira's life would go a long way, but I feel like if those existed we'd have seen them by now. I don't think there's anything Larkin can say that will prove her claims, and I don't think there's anything Gira can say that will disprove them. So we're stuck in an ugly stalemate and Swans fans are faced with the unenviable proposition of deciding if they want to continue enjoying the music of someone who might be a rapist.

Gira said that he plans on writing a more in-depth statement, and his wife said that they're currently talking to an attorney about the collection of evidence they have proving Gira's innocence. Whatever it is that they have, Jennifer sounded extremely confident about their case against Larkin. I guess we'll see in the coming days.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Official statement from Gira: http://pitchfork.com/news/63799-swans-michael-gira-issues-statement-on-larkin-grimm-rape-accusations/

Michael Gira posted:

Eight years ago, while I was still married to my first wife, Larkin Grimm and I headed towards a consensual romantic moment that fortunately was not consummated. As she wrote in her recent social media postings about that night, I said to her, "this doesn't feel right," and abruptly but completely our only intimate encounter ended. It was an awkward mistake.

Larkin may regret, as I certainly do, that the ill-advised tryst went even that far, but now, as then, I hold her in high esteem for her music and her courage as an artist.

I long ago apologized to my wife and family and told them the truth about this incident. My hope is that Larkin finds peace with the demons that have been darkening her soul since long before she and I ever met.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Blast Fantasto posted:

So it's basically He Said She Said. Gira says it's consensual, Grimm says it wasn't.

Given this statement and lack of "evidence", Gira's wife's post was in extremely poor taste.

I'm assuming that the evidence is with their attorney and wisely being kept private. Publicly releasing Grimm's emails and private correspondence is a really bad idea and would probably make things worse, regardless of what they prove.

From what I can tell, Gira's claim is that the specific event itself happened, but that circumstances surrounding it and the events that happened after were false. If Gira is telling the truth and he immediately ended things when he realized the situation was no longer consensual, apologized, and left it at that, then I can forgive that.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Decades posted:

Yeah specifically requesting of someone that they never have sex with you is a pretty strange way to think of these things. As far as the actual incident of assault goes, it sounds like they're both telling legitimate versions of the truth, and that it was more a weird drunken at least partially mutual mistake or miscommunication, more than something calculated or actively malicious.

The accusations that Grimm has made about the ongoing relationship being predatory and exploitative are more upsetting to me at this point, but as some have mentioned the specifics sound pretty out of character for Gira. I'm sure again that there's truth to both sides, but I have a hard time swallowing Gira as a cartoonish music industry villain telling Grimm "Stick with me kid and I'll make you a star" as he lowers his thousand dollar sunglasses and slinks his arm around her. It sounds like they had a complex relationship.

The bit about Grimm getting cut from the label shortly after this sounds damning, but I also keep hearing that the majority of the Young God roster was cut around the same time. I wasn't paying attention at the time. Anyone know the full story on that?

IIRC Gira said that running the label was too expensive and that he had to downsize Young God Records into being an outlet for Gira's personal releases. This makes sense, considering each new Swans album has involved a fundraiser just to get made.

I'm still skeptical about the claims that Gira continued to make sexual advances towards Grimm after the event. Partly because some of the details sound super out of character for Gira ("Trust me, I'm gonna make you a star"?) and partly because Gira claims to have proof that the exact opposite happened.

It's a really tricky and ambiguous situation but the sexual encounter itself doesn't seem like something I would consider intentional sexual abuse.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Siobhan Duffy (Gira's ex-wife) made a statement in the comments of this article: http://observer.com/2016/03/i-stand-with-kesha-why-men-should-address-musics-rape-culture-problem-right-now/

Siobhan Duffy posted:

Hello. My name is Siobhan Duffy and I am Michael's ex wife. The wife married to him (together for 12 years) while Larkin and Michael worked together. It is shameful what Ms. Grimm has done. Michael is not a rapist. And we will be making a more offical statement soon with proof of either her instabilty and her intent to ruin Michael's life work. Michael and I divorced in 2011. In 2013 Larkin wrote me on Facebook messenger (not a public post) which starts..."Dear Siobhan, I'm Sorry, I'm sorry,I'm so, so, sorry for being an immature manipulative untrustworthy whore,losing my way,being constantly high, and not follwoing my conscience when you welcomed me into your home." She goes on to tell me about the drunken night of fooling around that never included coitus. And many people that worked with both Larkin and Michael reveal that she was bragging about it at the time and finding it laughable that he was afraid his wife (me) would find out. She taunted him with telling me. When she wrote to me and spoke to Michael about it, I asked him to remove her from his label out of respect of me. Larkin claims that when she confronted him with rape, which never happened, he removed her from the label. Another false statement. And this one Facebook post has brought his 30 plus career and his name into question? It seems the media does not fact check anything anymore. Making false claims of rape can ruin someone's life, but also it undermines every true report of rape. And as seen from above, Larkin is now trying to capitalize on the current hot topic of rape in the music industry. She even mentions Kehsa in her FB post. Yes Larkin, you finally got your name in Billboard, but at what price to Michael and his family?
Check your FACTS. #IstandwithGIRA #LarkinISLYING

And I would like to add that Michael Gira is one of several men being accused by Larkin Grimm of sexual misconduct, all of whom terminated their working relationships with her. Who is the problem?

I guess that larger statement with proof is still forthcoming.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Someone needs to report her statements if she did indeed make a statement, but unfortunately that could've been anyone who left that comment. We've already seen a fake email come out of 4chan

Her FB account has a link to the article specifically mentioning the comments she wrote on it

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Franz von Dada posted:

The music is most likely going to be great but the cover isn't very good.

I'm assuming it'll look better when it's embossed on cardboard and not a quick mockup made in Photoshop.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The album's really good. It's a bit more laid-back than I was expecting it to be, but I'm glad that it has its own distinct identity rather than being To Be Kind Part 2. I'm not loving it as much as TBK but I'd put it on the same level as The Seer; the highs aren't as high as on The Seer, but it's more consistent overall.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ICHIBAHN posted:

Swans are playing The Knot in their recent live shows, is that a new song?

Is that what that was? I saw them in Austin and I couldn't recognize the opening track.

Also shouts to the handful of teenagers who tried to start a mosh pit during "The Glowing Man" and immediately got chewed out by Gira

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
If you want something that sounds like late-era Swans, check out Glenn Branca. He pretty much pioneered that epic noisy post-rock sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xApWRSDDvGI

• Locked thread