Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Swans live records are often times better than their studio work. I recommend putting Omniscience and Swans Are Dead on here, and strongly recommend listening to the entirety of White Light From The Mouth of Infinity and Love of Life instead of Various Failures.

So what if you don't like the your decision to put reverb on everything, Michael. I love those records. So do most Swans fans. Rerelease them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Good Luck Charm posted:

Giving how i loved you a listen. First time in years :(

Untitled Love Song is one of the best songs ever written.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Criminal Minded posted:

I dug it, not one of their best but at this point the idea that Swans could release a bad album is laughable to me. And jesus christ, how many great live albums do they have? :pwn:

Swans Are Dead is possibly the best live album I've ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzkw03GRAFI

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Skittle Wood posted:

Found the Burning World at Amoeba in SF for $12 so I'm pretty excited to finally give it a listen after going through most of the readily available albums.

Its similar in tone to the first two Angels of Light records. It's kinda melodramatic folk music. Worth it for the final song, which is a classic.

edit: Also digital reverb. Everything has poo poo tons of digital reverb on it.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 24, 2014

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Gira himself said he hates that album.

They sound like the loving Crash Test Dummies on that album.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

I think it's funny that the guy who is too crazy for the satanic blood orgy is married to Bette Middler.

No poo poo. One of the "Kipper Kids." Never understood the appeal of their act.

Here's the blood orgy aficionado on the red carpet, or something.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

interview excerpt.

Here's my favorite part of Moynihan's interview. I really liked his book on black metal as a kid in the 90's.

SECONDS: Why hasn 't Swans received the recognition it deserves?

GIRA: Well, there's a boundless stream of recriminations, self and otherwise, that could flow from that question, but let's just leave it with this oppressively truthful axiom: you get what you deserve.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

The rear end Stooge posted:

When I saw them in Oklahoma City in 2012, there was this dude who looked to be in his 40s but dressed like a teenager who kept bobbing around the crowd and bumping into people trying to get them to slamdance. Eventually Gira addressed him from the stage and made him promise to cut it out or he would be ejected.

I remember him. I wanted to put that fucker in a rear naked choke when Coward was playing. The eyes on Gira when he noticed this douche mid-song was great.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

Wait. Am I year late?

Yes. Stop whining. And don't forget the live albums. This is one of the few bands where the live records are often better than the studio albums.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Weird band. Completely atypical in their trajectory.

30 years after their first album, they put out their best record. The new one is amazing as well. This is the period when most acts are doing one last old-man reunion tour as a nostalgia cash grab. Swans? They put out their best record and quickly make another that's just as good.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Akarshi posted:

Never listened to Swans before, but I'm going to try to get into them. I have no idea what to expect other than 'depressing' and 'post-rock', so I'm looking forward to this. I'm guessing that I should start at Filth?

Pick up this year's record. It's the number one most critically acclaimed album released in 2014 according to sites that aggregate reviews.

I've listened to Swans for the past seventeen years. I saw them as a teenager on their final tour in 97. I saw them in 2012 touring The Seer material. In between I've caught Angels of Light twice.

I've listened to every album Gira has ever released to the public. And I can tell you their best studio album is probably The Seer.

My favorite is what I figured to be their final record of their final tour, Swans Are Dead. But that's because they're better live than on album.

The only Swans albums I'm not fond of are My Father Will Guide Me A Rope Up To The Sky, and Kill The Child.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 5, 2014

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Cymbal Monkey posted:

That surprises me, I thought The Burning World was widely agreed to be atrocious. I quite like My Father.

The good songs on it are amazing. Saved, God drat The Sun and I Remember Who You Are.

It's not my favorite or anything. Maybe I have bad taste. I like studio reverb and overly dramatic 80's goth music.

My only beef with My Father is it sounds like an Angels of Light record, and "The AOL Sing Other People," blew it out of the water imo.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 6, 2014

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

sharktamer posted:

Love of life is one of my favourites. I never really hear it get much praise.

I'm really fond of it too.

Love the transition tracks that use old tape recordings.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

here's a question: does Swans play exclusively new & recent stuff live? seems that way judging by their setlists.  

They played Yr Property this tour.

Touring for the Seer they played Coward.

When I saw Angels of Light the first time he played Failure and God drat The Sun.

But generally they keep to the newer stuff.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

program666 posted:

you probably mean blind, not deaf :D
Volcano is my favorite song on that album, seems like he hates electronic music so he grabs electronic music track and twists it with hate using his bare hands until it's unrecognizable.

Actually the music in Volcano was arranged by Jarboe. I can't think of another Swans song that didn't involve Gira.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

AtomicRust posted:

My White Light from the Mouth of Infinity/Love of Life boxset came in the mail yesterday, the packaging is fantastic! Really enjoy that it comes with two posters, along with "Blind" being inserted into White Light. "Blind" seems rather out of place on White Light, especially where it's placed in the track listing, but glad to have it nonetheless.

The bonus CD, is sadly, just a compiling (and assumed remastering) of various tracks from the World of Skin, the Various Failures compilation, the live albums Anonymous Bodies In An Empty Room & Omniscience, and the Love of Life single. I wish they were something entirely unreleased or session tapes from those albums, surely some unreleased Swans tracks still exist that have yet to see the light of day.

I was hoping they'd be track upon track of Michael Gira thanking the listener and demanding that he/she not share this music with anyone.

Omniscience is a great live album in it's entirity.

I've given Gira probably 300 bucks over my lifetimeby. That's enough money to feel I deserve to be an economic free rider when it comes to albums I've already bought in one form or another.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 22, 2015

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

"Everyone who knows me knows I would never sexaully assault a woman."

- El Duce, of the Mentors.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 26, 2016

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

The characterization of Gira saying, "I'm going to make you a star, baby," doesn't seem to fit.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

A human heart posted:

You wouldn't know that from listening to it though would you, she might as well be singing about going to the supermarket for all the emotion in the actual song

Vocals reminded me of that guy from King Crimson that wasn't Greg Lake, but sounded like an emotionless Malto-Meal mascot knock off of Greg Lake.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Am I missing something?

What's the significance of the batshit crazy ramblings about babylon and the face of satan up top?

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

I started listening to Swans as a teenager in the 90s, and you guys are wrong, no offense. Both The Seer and Cop are better albums than any of the late 80's and 90's stuff I grew up listening to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Molestationary Store posted:

Swans are Dead is one of the missing pieces of my collection, perhaps I should remedy that. Also I totes wanna fight you on the internet for slagging TGA. :toughguy:

Oh my god is it good. Like, it's seriously one of the most amazing cds you'll ever hear and what makes it even more special is it's all live. I kinda believe that Swans were always better live and this is the pinnacle of their live albums.

Got a signed copy.

• Locked thread