Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I'm up for doing this. I've tried and failed to get into Swans a few times now. I like them I guess, but they never really clicked with me like I feel they ought to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Criminal Minded posted:

So why are we not talking about To Be Kind, the upcoming 2+ hour album featuring St. Vincent? If this isn't album of the year I'd be shocked.

edit: more info here.

I can't wait for this. It took me a while to get into Swans, but now that I like them, I really like them. The Great Annihilator is my favourite at the moment, but The Seer is also great and I'm looking forward to hearing another album in what sounds like a similar-ish direction. I wish I'd picked up that 2CD live album, but it was released just before they really clicked for me, so I didn't bother.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Friends Are Evil posted:

New Swans track is up on Pitchfork.

This is somehow the most danceable song Swans has ever done, terrifying bursts of noise aside. I'm so loving stoked for this.

I love it. The noises at the end are awesome. I can't wait to set aside 2 hours for this beast on release day.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Also worth noting that the album can be preordered through Young God Records now: http://younggodrecords.com/

I'll be waiting for Mute, who are doing rest of the world distribution so I can save on some shipping!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Between this and the stream of the new Agalloch, I'm not getting anything done today...

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Definitely take earplugs.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Gave it a first listen today. It's good, it feels more different to The Seer than I was expecting. I've seen a lot of people say that even on first listen they were more into it than The Seer, but for me I definitely like The Seer more at the moment. Still, 2 hours is a long listen and I need more time with it before I cast any serious judgement.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Cymbal Monkey posted:

The Seer is a far better album but Bring The Sun is such a strong song.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel at the moment. Wouldn't be surprised if I end up listening to the whole thing a handful of times, and then cherry picking my favourite tracks and sticking to those in the future. I dig repetition in music, but I felt like some of these songs were dragged out far too long. Loving Bring the Sun and A Little God In My Hands though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Gonna have to eat my words on my initial lukewarm reaction to this album. It's growing on me like crazy. Weirdly infectious for a 2hr beast.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Oxygen has grown on me a ton. Wasn't too into it as a preview track, but it's weirdly infectious and a track from the album I revisit quite a lot.

Also The Great Annihilator is the album that got me into Swans, but working backwards sounds like a good idea if you already like what you hear.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
That interview clip is amazing. Anyone else got any good ones of Gira telling weird stories?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

modestmusashi posted:

Remasters usually sound better. I personally have the best setup speaker-wise hooked up to my turntable, so blasting that bad boy will be a fresh treat. Now, if anyone claims that "you really haven't heard it until you've heard the remastered vinyl," you can confidently ignore that person

I currently have a really lovely download of Filth, so I'm looking forward to owning a proper remastered copy to blast on my stereo when it's out of storage.

I listened to To Be Kind again today and it's still brilliant. I've listened to this one loads more than I listened to The Seer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

As a metal fan, this is a fantastic lineup. Does seem a bit nuts that Swans are playing under Blasphemy though. I wonder how much set time they'll get. Also in my experience the majority of attendees for this sort of festival only really like the early stuff. I assume they'll stick to new stuff as they don't seem like the band to compromise, and if the festival had persuaded them to do an early set, I'm sure they'd be crowing about it. Still, intriguing.

• Locked thread