Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
This is a cool idea. I'm a big fan of the Greed/Holy Money era as well as a lot of the stuff collected on Various Failures. At one point this was my favorite band but I haven't listened to them much since they started getting Pitchfork popular in the last couple years.

Also just want to post this super cute pic of them when they were young. :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Rollins has gone on record saying that Swans were a huge influence on him. It was actually one of his spoken word bits where he talked about listening to Cop that introduced me to them way back when.

He also published Gira's book, which is not very good but interesting if you want to see how he translates the Swans themes/aesthetic into a different medium. It has the really good depiction of being suicidally depressed and the total apathy and cruelty that goes along with that - something Gira seems to get better than a lot of people who try to inhabit that space artistically, obviously because of his well-known closeness to the material - as well as the usual commentary on the fluidity of master/slave relationships and how sadists are often secret masochists and vice versa.

The double percussion on these early Swans albums is so fantastic and well executed. The way it's used to give this almost, like, dubby quality to the drumming, where one drummer will do a kind of lagging echo thing while the other dude keeps going? I don't know how to phrase it.

For people into Public Castration Is A Good Idea I highly recommend the A Long Slow Screw live video which is a great opportunity to see what a sweaty, shirtless, bellowing monster Gira was on stage at that time.

edit: On relistening to Filth right now I think I definitely enjoy the slower, heavier songs to some of the faster more no wave-y stuff on here. I also forgot to post this Beckett piece which I always thought was probably the inspiration for the cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4LDwfKxr-M

acephalousuniverse fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 4, 2013

• Locked thread