Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

A lot of Hermann Nitsch's composition work (proprietor of the aforementioned blood origies) is pretty consistent with the sound/dynamics of Swans, admittedly in a more avant garde/modern composition context. Like, pairing lovely punk bands with orchestras together to just make pure noise, or using a tank as an instrument. The Island and Das 6-Tage-Spiel Des Orgien Mysterien Theaters: Day 5 box sets are a great introduction, as is Musik Der 66. Aktion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

Blast Fantasto posted:

There's a new deluxe edition of Filth on Spotify today. Which is great because the only one they had on there before was the Filth/Body to Body, Job to Job comp.

I'm going to have to buy this, if only for that third disc with EP #1 and the live material.

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

Blast Fantasto posted:

Sad that this version of Swans will be done, but there's something to be said about accomplishing all you can artistically and moving on. I will definitely be supporting their next Kickstarter.

Yeah, if you look back at their discography they never really did the same thing for more than a handful of albums. Looking forward to this one and then whatever Gira does next.

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

Blast Fantasto posted:

What do any of us really know about Michael Gira's "character" beyond "writes scary, noisy music" and "sometimes wears cowboy hats"?

I dunno, considering the split with Jarboe was pretty acrimonious and public, I'd imagine she would have had similar lovely stories to tell of him.

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

ICHIBAHN posted:

Ramleh is what I'm looking for, thanks

Works III is my fav, followed by the more proggy Be Careful What You Wish For. Their noise stuff (I.e. anything before Grudge For Life) may not be your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

You may dig Skullflower too. Lots of overlap between Ramleh as far as members go. Bodychoke were great too from that scene but a bit more obscure.

• Locked thread