Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Not sure if this is the place to actually talk about the band and since I've been listening to only michael gira works almost exclusively for half a year already the point of the thread it's kind of moot for me.
So I'll list the the first songs to catch my ear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OK1kDLj8MM - nice fan made video, incredibly beautiful song, lyrics anyone that was young can relate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-e1feSOuP8 - the way the song starts creepy and suddenly just break into one of the most beautiful things I ever heard is probably what made me obsessed with the band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EayNRh_PkBc - I found this awesome video before listening to the music, his screaming let me mesmerized, this is certainly my favorite song from his old style of music. This one for me shows off quite well the concepts of being majestic and bad tempered in a single song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skT9dIJh0AY - to this day one of my favorite swans songs also the best sample of Jarboe's vocals along with Volcano in my humble opinion.

program666 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

quoted instead of editing

program666
Aug 22, 2013

The idea that the fight for survival is done "For the love of life" is probably the closest I'll get to religion nowadays.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Bo Jackson posted:

I'm a big fan of everything Swans has done since 2010 (as well as Soundtracks for the Blind) and took it upon myself to check out the rest of their stuff. I've gotten through their first three albums in the last few days and unfortunately I can't say I'm a fan. They're wonderfully aggressive but I like their more recent post-rocky sound a lot more. Maybe I'm just a big baby.

Maybe you didn't hear with the right speakers/headphones. First time I heard Filth was on some headphones that have some really strong bass output so the music felt like solid objects and that blew my mind.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I'm guessing this is more a thing for people that wanted physical versions of this record but stuff like the amount of details you can listen in the music is basically the same right?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

ICHIBAHN posted:

i can see why. this period (white light-annihilator) really is the sweet spot. really looking forward to getting to the dark, dense later albums.

this week, love of life.

If you like the more normal stuff maybe you'll like Angels of Light. Sing other people is one of my favorite albums of all time.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

you probably mean blind, not deaf :D
Volcano is my favorite song on that album, seems like he hates electronic music so he grabs electronic music track and twists it with hate using his bare hands until it's unrecognizable.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

after listening their whole body of work multiple times, including angels, the last two albums are my favorite, it's a weirdness I can "get" somehow.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I just got the flacs and all files are in the same directory so when they are ordered the first tracks of all 3 cds are first in the list and so on. I loaded the files into a media player and the metadata is also not helping much lol.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

loop 33 in maximum volume and a bit of a enhanced bass is just :aaaaa:

program666
Aug 22, 2013

The 3rd "cd" is really different, Take Advantage sounds like The Damned a little bit.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I like the AoL records that have less to do with swans than anything, "angels sing other people", is probably one of my favorite records ever so far in life, and my second favorite from the AoL would be "Everything is good here"

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Cymbal Monkey posted:

So, Swans fans, I've recently gotten hold of Au De La by BIG|BRAVE, which is basically the most ferocious thing since Filth and Cop. I can't say enough about this album, it's absolutely mental, and if you like Swans you should really loving hear it.

This is pretty good. In a semi-related note thanks to a spotify swans-based radio showing up melt banana, and then a melt banana-based radio, I'm now listening to a lot of noise rock and math rock.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

yes, following Gira on facebook is great. Some other band I'm a fan of only posts their own songs, Gira posts music that he loves which is way way more interesting of course.

Edit: Actually I follow Swans, not Gira.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Oh sorry, I knew it was Gira, I just felt like clarifying because I didn't know he posted the same things on his personal account (or at least seems like mostly the same)

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I cannot wait

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Mutant Standard posted:

mods please rename thread to "SWANS: From the Seer to Filth in one accusation" tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I think it actually doesn't make you think about that song at all

• Locked thread