Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Mutation posted:

Speaking of Gira saying things, does anyone have that interview where he talks about the goat killing/blood orgy thing?

No, but I remember reading about some house party thing he went to where he wound up meeting some chick for the first time and then loving her in front of an audience, very Eyes Wide Shut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Cymbal Monkey posted:

This is an excellent post and I agree with all of it. My recommendation is actually to work through their discography backwards, and slowly. Really digest every album, listen four or five times at least, which I know is a ten hour time synch for three albums, but it's worth it, there's so much there that you'll miss your first time through. Swans, in my experience, get more challanging as you move backwards, broadly (The Great Annihilator being the biggest exception I can think of, being almost acceptable to put on in polite company). I love Swans but I've never managed to get into Holy Money and before.

I disagree. I think it's best to begin at the beginning and listen to how the band progressed from the start, because what comes in the late-middle and since the revival is both a reaction against and an embracing of elements of the early stuff. It may be tough to understand now if you're just getting into them, or if you're in the younger crowd, but Swans are so influential that you really have to hear the early poo poo to hear how much is built on top of it. Like as much as I love Godflesh, their early work blatantly rips off old Swans. Is it challenging stuff? Sure, but in many ways I think the first four albums, as monolithic as they are, are more more rewarding and influential than the last two, which are a real mixed bag in my opinion. (The Seer was a study in pointless overindulgence.)

• Locked thread