Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I could be down for this. The only Swans stuff I've really listened to is Cop, Young God and My Father Will Guide Me A Rope To The Sky. I've been meaning to delve deeper into their discography. I'm still kicking myself for missing them live last time they came around.

Yeah, you hosed up, cuz that show was incredible.

I might be down for this, though it was only a month or so ago that I was listening to their body of work pretty intensively, so I'm kinda Swans'ed out at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FalseParadigm posted:

Hope everyone is still listening :)

I'll be seeing them next Tuesday - can't wait. Anyone else seeing them or will see them on this tour?

I saw them last fall in St. Louis and it was awesome. Definitely a must-see show.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
So why are we not talking about To Be Kind, the upcoming 2+ hour album featuring St. Vincent? If this isn't album of the year I'd be shocked.

edit: more info here.

quote:

To Be Kind will contain 10 new Swans songs that — like their Homeric last album, 2012's The Seer — will punish and reward listeners for more than two hours. "Some songs are quite melodic," Gira says, "and the emotions are not so severe." The shortest song lasts eight minutes, the longest, "Bring the Sun," is 35.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

nomapple posted:

I can't wait for this. It took me a while to get into Swans, but now that I like them, I really like them. The Great Annihilator is my favourite at the moment, but The Seer is also great and I'm looking forward to hearing another album in what sounds like a similar-ish direction. I wish I'd picked up that 2CD live album, but it was released just before they really clicked for me, so I didn't bother.

Yeah, they've gone from "Who?" to probably my favorite band over the past year and a half, ever since I got The Seer and started tracking back through their work - which, of course, only makes me appreciate The Seer even more. Ditto to The Great Annihilator, which is in my top handful of Swans albums along with The Seer, White Light from the Mouth of Infinity, and Soundtracks from the Blind, but it's all great. I haven't heard everything yet, but I'm pretty close - all I'm missing are a live album or two, The Burning World, and outtakes/b-sides. I can't help but wonder where they'll go on this next album, since The Seer is such a career-defining masterpiece. It's like, what's even left to do?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

big business sloth posted:

The Burning World is really good too, don't let anyone (even Gira) tell you otherwise.

I dug it, not one of their best but at this point the idea that Swans could release a bad album is laughable to me. And jesus christ, how many great live albums do they have? :pwn:

So, anybody got any recommendations for other bands that recall stuff like "The Apostate" and "A Piece of the Sky"? I'm currently unable to stop listening to either of those tracks. I figure there's gotta be some post-rock stuff out there that fits the bill but I'm only really familiar with GY!BE, Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai and Slint so I'd have no idea where to start looking.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Looks like the album has leaked, but in very poor quality. Just a heads up.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

I burst out laughing at "Really wonderful!" God, I love Gira.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

The rear end Stooge posted:

When I saw them in Oklahoma City in 2012, there was this dude who looked to be in his 40s but dressed like a teenager who kept bobbing around the crowd and bumping into people trying to get them to slamdance. Eventually Gira addressed him from the stage and made him promise to cut it out or he would be ejected.

Hahahaha, how do you slamdance to The Seer?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Interview with Gira that mentions they're recording another album starting in September.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
So...on a lighter note...

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Man, no KC or STL? Bummer...

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

HorseRenoir posted:

The album's really good. It's a bit more laid-back than I was expecting it to be, but I'm glad that it has its own distinct identity rather than being To Be Kind Part 2. I'm not loving it as much as TBK but I'd put it on the same level as The Seer; the highs aren't as high as on The Seer, but it's more consistent overall.

Am I the only one who thinks The Seer is clearly better than TBK and Swans' best album? TBK felt a lot more scattershot to me; The Seer is just straight-up perfect from start to finish. It feels cohesive in a way that very few albums do to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
It's possible I simply haven't listened to To Be Kind enough. It's not as if The Seer immediately clicked for me; I initially found it impressive but unwelcoming, until something turned in my brain and everything fell into place. It's probably my favorite album ever now. When I hear the nightmarish squalling on "95th Ave B Blues," the acoustic ending of "A Piece of the Sky," or the drum solo that closes out the album on "The Apostate," it all feels earned from everything that came before it. There's no moments like that for me on To Be Kind - yet - even though I love individual tracks, like "Just a Little Boy" and "Bring the Sun."

I'll have to revisit it...after I give The Glowing Man a good half-dozen listens, that is. Taking it for a second spin as we speak. :toot:

• Locked thread