Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Friends Are Evil posted:

I'm totally up for this. Swans are a loving ordeal to listen to, but they're so worth it. Will any of Michael Gira's solo work or work with Angels of Light be covered? Drainland and How I Loved You are up there with some of Swans' best material.

EDIT: It should be worth mentioning that for those of us with limited budgets, most of Swans' catalog is up for streaming on Spotify. Filth, Soundtracks for the Blind, and Burning World are all notably unavailable on Spotify, but most of their discography should be up there.

As well, Rdio has most of their albums up for streaming. If anyone here has an Rdio subscription, that place might be worth looking into. Of course, you can probably find all their albums on Youtube or Grooveshark.

On a side note, if this ends up being a success, I think it'd be a good idea to try this for other weird, experimental bands with dense discographies. Coil or Current 93 might also be worth doing something similar for. Of course, Coil might be harder to do, seeing as most of their work is out of print and not likely to come back in print anytime soon.

I listened to all of Coil's works in release order a few years back, breaking up the Unnatural History comps to put the singles included on them into their chronological position and also listening to compilation tracks that hadn't been included on those releases, using YouTube etc. to do so. Even then there were a few things that are listed in their Brainwashed discography I wasn't able to find. Since then too there have been a lot of demos for their albums circulated to which I haven't given a full listening to, and stuff like the soundtrack to the movie Frisk that has circulated recently that I haven't really investigated.

It did give me a greater appreciation for the timeline of Coil's output and how different releases relate to each other, how a particular sound at a particular time developed, made me notice some songs that seem to have had the same origin. Highly recommended.

edit: I like Current 93 as much as Coil, maybe even more, and have thought about doing the same with them, but the problem for me is that C93 has a million live albums not all of which are very interesting to me, and also some periods in their discography that I just plain don't like as much (some of the folk albums before Thunder Perfect Mind).

Dr. Video Games 0081 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I liked it a lot, especially the vocal processing on some of the tracks. There are some big gaps in my listening to Swans, and this is one of the albums I've never heard before. I'll still always like later Swans releases better I think, but I'm excited to start from the beginning and go forward to see how the periods I like the most fit into their larger career.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I just can't imagine Jerry would've hosed those kids, he was so dedicated to helping them

• Locked thread