Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uhhh so I'm listening to To Be Kind having never heard anything by Swans before because I've been hearing it's been getting great reviews, and holy loving god, Bring the Sun is such a big song. Like, Godspeed You Black Emperor big but even bigger than that. Just completely massive and nigh-overwhelming :stonk: But I also kind of love it. It's scary and mysterious and new and exciting.

I'm assuming they were a big influence for bands like Godspeed since they've been around since the 80s? Is all their music like this or does it vary from album to album? I'm definitely interested in checking out the rest of their discography now.

I don't see this as an album I'm going to listen to frequently or one from which I'm going to be listening to single tracks by themselves, but every once in a while when I feel like digesting an entire album as a whole and being transported to another world, I have a feeling this is gonna be perfect for that.

One of my good friends saw them last year at Bonnaroo, and when he got home, he couldn't stop raving about that show for a while. I probably should have checked them out sooner to see what he was talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That is definitely helpful, thank you! :unsmith: Now I have a direction to go in, I just need a good amount of time to devote to digesting it all (as you said, Cymbal Monkey).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Be sure to post trip reports!
Will do! Also the end of To Be Kind: goddammit, that was so cool. Makes me wish there was another track to come after the end of that track.

And Oxygen: :psyboom:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They recorded that horse specifically for the track, there's a good recent interview on p4K with Gira.
I heard the clip clop and immediately thought "There's no way these are stock horse noises. They probably got a horse just for this album."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I still haven't started my reverse Swans journey yet, but I will. I have The Seer, I just need to prepare myself to listen to it. If that's even possible...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alright, I finally listened to The Seer. It's not as weird or as much of a mindfuck as it probably would've been if I'd started listening to Swans with this album, but I guess To Be Kind got me acclimated enough to the Swans weirdness to the point where this kind of sounds like more of the same. Don't get me wrong, though, I still really dig it.

The title track is huge and menacing. That harmonica part gave it a nice push into agonizing/desolate territory. And then the vocals right after that part sounds like the wailing of a mental patient. I felt like I was walking down Death Row in a prison in the middle of the desert while listening to it. And then 93 Ave. B Blues was like a nightmare in sound form. Song for a Warrior was like a breath of fresh air after the onslaught that was Disc 1. Then Avatar, especially the ending, was repetitive and furious and lovely. A Piece of the Sky started out sounding like the score to some deeply unsettling film but then it became a pretty normal piece of music as it went on. Well, normal for Swans at least. And then The Apostate…at the beginning, it sounded like it was building up to be this droney, ear-splittingly loud metal piece, and yep, that’s exactly what it built up to. At one point it sounded like Michael Gira recorded the sounds of himself playing ping pong and used that as the percussion for part of this track. And then later on the song sounds jazzy? This is all over the place but I like it haha

I listened to this album while I was very tired, which was probably a terrible idea. On one hand, I feel completely drained now, so I'm probably gonna fall asleep right away. On the other hand, I'll probably have nightmares from listening to this loving thing right before bed.

Next up on the list: My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is really late notice, but Swans are playing a show tonight and broadcasting it live on Yahoo Screen for those who can't attend: https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/swans

It's supposed to start in about 10 minutes, I think. (10:15pm PST)

e: And so far all it's been is gong. Nothing but gong.

But oh wait, here comes Gira!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 5, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They're coming here in April. I am ready for my ears to bleed :getin:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Swans is working on new music. Here are two innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnncredible epic new songs, great live quality.

"Black Hole Man"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYdehdHKr7o

"Frankie M"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JqDcNf3qFc

The ending to Black Hole Man is so nuts when Gira starts yelling I AM A BLACK HOLE MAN I AM

So excited to see them live next week :circlefap:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I saw them tonight and it was loving insane. They played for 2 hours and 15 minutes. Their first song was 37 minutes long. I was right by the stage, and when they closed with Bring The Sun/Black Hole Man, I felt like I was standing right by a jet engine spinning up. My teeth were rattling at one point. So goddamn good.

Though I told my girlfriend afterwards (who didn't come with me because she can't handle Swans) that the show was like an endurance test. The show was sold out, so there was obviously a ton of interest in it, but people were leaving throughout the entire show. I guess they couldn't handle it either. By the end of the show, it seemed like only half the crowd was left. But goddamn, Bring The Sun/Black Hole Man was quite possibly the best part of the show. I didn't think there were any bad parts and I was entertained all the way through, but when that song kicked in, Jeeeeeeeeeeeeesus Christ, you could really feel the energy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aw yeah, can't wait to hear the album version of whatever Black Hole Man became.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

http://pitchfork.com/news/63714-michael-gira-discusses-swans-final-album/

Pitchfork posted:

"It sounds like the musical equivalent of Ben-Hur ... coupled with Kurosawa's Ran," Gira told Mojo. He added, "It is epic. One piece has 240 separate tracks. But there are also a lot of delicate moments. There’s a lot of orchestration — strings, horns, female singers. But no bagpipes this time. The longest pieces is 28 minutes, and there are a couple that are 22, 23."
:stare::fh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh Jesus loving Christ. Is EVERYONE seemingly cool and talented actually a monster? :smith:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is probably going to be one of my top 5 albums of the year, no question :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Woah, just checked the setlist from their show that I went to a little over a year ago and it turns out they played like 4 songs from the new album according to that Amazon tracklist :stare:

That's counting Black Hole Man, which apparently got retitled for this album.

Frankie M.
A Little God In My Hands
The Cloud of Unknowing
Just a Little Boy (For Chester Burnett)
The Cloud of Forgetting
Bring the Sun / Black Hole Man

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cymbal Monkey posted:

So, I have The Glowing Man (journalism has its perks) and it's loving magnificent. It sounds absolutely huge, Gira's studio genius really comes through, and When Will I Return is the most harrowing piece of music ever put to record.
Am I ready to hear this thing? I don't think I am :ohdear:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Heroinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Heroinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Methedrinnnnnnnnnnnne
Methedrinnnnnnnnnnnne
MDMMMMMMMMMMA
MDMMMMMMMMMMA

e: God drat I am so happy to have a studio version of Black Hole Man :rock:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 13, 2016

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

8.1 from Pitchfork

It's not a 10! They hated it!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Seeing The Glowing Man (then called Black Hole Man) live was probably one of the most intense/loudest concert experiences I've ever had.

It ruled.

• Locked thread