Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Criminal Minded posted:

Yeah, they've gone from "Who?" to probably my favorite band over the past year and a half, ever since I got The Seer and started tracking back through their work - which, of course, only makes me appreciate The Seer even more. Ditto to The Great Annihilator, which is in my top handful of Swans albums along with The Seer, White Light from the Mouth of Infinity, and Soundtracks from the Blind, but it's all great. I haven't heard everything yet, but I'm pretty close - all I'm missing are a live album or two, The Burning World, and outtakes/b-sides. I can't help but wonder where they'll go on this next album, since The Seer is such a career-defining masterpiece. It's like, what's even left to do?

Swans have about five career-defining masterpieces, and they've always found ways to move beyond them and come up with something else new and wonderful. I have no reason to doubt them now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Mr. Unlucky posted:

I am not personally invested in these people, I haven't listened to any of their music and I doubt I will.

That said she comes off as a huge drama queen type personality which immediately makes me doubt all of this. She also seems to be connecting this incident to being dropped from the record label which seems to be blatantly false as far as I can tell so that just damages her credibility further, especially with that cheesy rear end 'make you a star' poo poo like real life is a badly written movie. It feels like a publicity ploy, and it worked because I would never have known who the gently caress she is if it weren't for this.

Also I am sure I will get some poo poo for saying this but if he actually did do it as described it's basically a 1/10 on the rape scale. They kidnap little girls in India and lock them in a room for 20 years then throw them out on the street to die once they're all used up and I don't see anyone really giving a poo poo about that but oh you're an artist you're so important this is such an issue you're fighting for women everywhere blah blah blah shut the gently caress up. I know just because worse things happen elsewhere it doesn't invalidate lesser evils but on a scale that includes "to death, for years" this is about as tame as it gets and if she is actually claiming it ruined her life or anything near that she needs some loving perspective.

Good lord.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Criminal Minded posted:

Am I the only one who thinks The Seer is clearly better than TBK and Swans' best album? TBK felt a lot more scattershot to me; The Seer is just straight-up perfect from start to finish. It feels cohesive in a way that very few albums do to me.

I'm not sure if it's their best album, only because I have trouble comparing the quality of their various "eras," but I definitely think it's the best of the current lineup. To Be Kind is wonderful but I agree that The Seer feels extremely cohesive in a way To Be Kind just doesn't.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

ICHIBAHN posted:

What is that Swans song that goes, white light white heat white light white heat, or something, at a fast pace, think it's a female singer (maybe Jarboe), sounds like Annihilator-era. Any ideas?

That makes me think of "Mind Body Light Sound" from Great Annihilator.

• Locked thread