Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Annath posted:

After browsing Amazon a bit, I'm beginning to realize that the fact that the last time I owned a laptop was long enough ago that my expectations on price are outdated.

Even completely discarding the keyboard, weight, and battery life, just getting one with a good display, a good gfx card, and halfway decent storage is going to run me closer to $2K than $1K.

By the time I've saved up that much (my budget doesn't allow for much "disposable income" each month) the latest and greatest on the market will have changed :v:

You can get a Lenovo Legion Slim 5 or 2023 Zephyrus G14 with a 4060 in it for like $1,000 (or less open box) at Best Buy but they don't have numpads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Annath posted:

Good point.

Weight could probably bump down a few slots... Actually, having given it some thought, I'd prioritize this way:

1. Performance for price
2. Screen quality
3. Overall price
4. Ability to add/upgrade RAM and Storage

You should be looking at budget gaming laptops on sale and ignoring anything else. Something like this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/gigabyte-aorus-15-6-144hz-gaming-laptop-fhd-intel-i5-13500h-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4050-512gb-ssd-black/6534579.p.

If you have flexibility try to get to a 4060 or higher, but that's going to involve a lot of discount hunting. It's also hilarious to me that this is where Best Buy's "performance meter" shows a 4050:

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 12, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Twerk from Home posted:

You should be looking at budget gaming laptops on sale and ignoring anything else. Something like this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/gigabyte-aorus-15-6-144hz-gaming-laptop-fhd-intel-i5-13500h-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4050-512gb-ssd-black/6534579.p.

If you have flexibility try to get to a 4060 or higher, but that's going to involve a lot of discount hunting. It's also hilarious to me that this is where Best Buy's "performance meter" shows a 4050:

That linked one looks good, except for the 8GB RAM. I'd think nowadays 16GB would be the minimum.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Annath posted:

That linked one looks good, except for the 8GB RAM. I'd think nowadays 16GB would be the minimum.

Yeah, you'd want to upgrade it to 32GB immediately, which should be pretty cheap. Poverty option would be just buying another 8GB stick.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Well, now I have some good ones to use as a point of reference.

I'm getting another certification for work this month that will probably net me a raise, so I'll start socking away some money while I think about things.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Annath posted:

I'm getting another certification for work this month that will probably net me a raise, so I'll start socking away some money while I think about things.

Are you in the US? A Lenovo Legion Pro 5 on sale meets most of your criteria other than lightweight, and you can get one with a 4060 for ~$1.2k.

You're probably better off bookmarking and lurking this thread for people to post deals/sales, rather than randomly browsing laptops on Amazon.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Annath posted:

I think $1,000 to $1,500 is a very reasonable price for your wants, but yes, you will need to comprimise on a couple things.

That gigabyte is ok, but a little overpriced. The 4050 is nice but I like it more at the $700 level.

This is a decent example of a lower priced option, 4060 and 16GB $1000
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...black/6571057.p

This slim gives you OLED, lots of power, super light. No numpad $1,050. probably what I'd get right now. Note the RAM is not upgradable.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...-grey/6559123.p

This meets your criteria for everything but OLED (but it does have a nice screen and 32GB or RAM). $1,179
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1745674-REG/lenovo_82wk0082us_16_legion_pro_5i.html

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Lockback posted:

I think $1,000 to $1,500 is a very reasonable price for your wants, but yes, you will need to comprimise on a couple things.

That gigabyte is ok, but a little overpriced. The 4050 is nice but I like it more at the $700 level.

This slim gives you OLED, lots of power, super light. No numpad $1,050. probably what I'd get right now. Note the RAM is not upgradable.

This meets your criteria for everything but OLED (but it does have a nice screen and 32GB or RAM). $1,179
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1745674-REG/lenovo_82wk0082us_16_legion_pro_5i.html

Oooh... That last one looks perfect, and they even have an option to pay in 4 payments which would basically be what I'd be putting away to save for it anyway.

I don't use any credit cards so I save up for all my big purchases :)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Last one, this is refurb but it's refurb from Lenovo. Only 16GB of RAM but it's not a slim so you can add more later. I like the AMD CPU more more the intel, has numpad and a good screen (thought higher than 1080p, it's getting tough to get a 1080p screen on a good laptop) for under $1000
https://www.ebay.com/itm/176326740585

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lockback posted:

The Slim 5 in the middle has outstanding battery life FWIW

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

change my name posted:

The Slim 5 in the middle has outstanding battery life FWIW

Yeah, I'm starting to look at what my replacement for my G14 is, and a slim 5 with 32GB and a whatever-comes-after-a-4060 is probably going to be my trigger puller when it hits a decent price (which means probably 9-12 months). Of all the stupid things but the fact that the G14 lost the little stand thing the screen does pushes me more towards a Slim 5 than I'd care to admit.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Annath posted:

I don't use any credit cards so I save up for all my big purchases :)

these arent mutually exclusive concepts fwiw

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Worf posted:

these arent mutually exclusive concepts fwiw

I made some bad decisions as a stupid kid living on his own for the first time which was very tough to get out of. So I am now very strict with my finances.

You should only be charging something to a credit card if you already have the money to immediately pay it off anyway :shrug:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Annath posted:

I made some bad decisions as a stupid kid living on his own for the first time which was very tough to get out of. So I am now very strict with my finances.

You should only be charging something to a credit card if you already have the money to immediately pay it off anyway :shrug:

Sure but the installment payment thing you motioned is the exact same thing as credit cards, and you've got people digging their own graves in the same way: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/20/business/economy/pay-later-credit-debt.html

This isn't the thread for it and I'll shut up past this post, but buy now pay later is explicitly targeting a lower income, more vulnerable population than credit cards are: https://www.vice.com/en/article/4axxpq/you-can-justify-everything-i-became-addicted-to-buy-now-pay-later

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Twerk from Home posted:

Sure but the installment payment thing you motioned is the exact same thing as credit cards, and you've got people digging their own graves in the same way: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/20/business/economy/pay-later-credit-debt.html

This isn't the thread for it and I'll shut up past this post, but buy now pay later is explicitly targeting a lower income, more vulnerable population than credit cards are: https://www.vice.com/en/article/4axxpq/you-can-justify-everything-i-became-addicted-to-buy-now-pay-later

Just for clarification, the poo poo you can get on Amazon by Affirm and other companies like it are indeed exactly like credit cards, or sometimes worse (higher interest). The 4 payment thing is 4 set payments interest free, and isn't offered most places. Its basically reverse layaway.

Anywho, not the place for that.

E: lol I just realized that the last laptop I had was old enough to still have a disc drive

Annath fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 12, 2024

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I have a PayPal Credit account specifically for buying gadgets and the 6 months of interest free payments. I'm no Mr. Money Bags over here, but sometimes I want A Nice Thing and paying for that over a few months is nice.

It is primed and ready for, hopefully, whatever the mobile RTX5070 has to offer...eventually...

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

How long does lenovo usually take to ship non-customized laptops? I bought one at the very end of March and the status is still "waiting to be shipped, est delivery 4/11/2024".

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They will do a run every periodically

Some middle manager somewhere determines the schedule based on personal opinion which is based on order volume

If you ordered something obscure it might be longer than the 4 week lead time given. If an enterprise customer cancelled their order it might be ready tomorrow

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If it's past the ship date with no update I'd contact support on Monday.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

brand engager posted:

How long does lenovo usually take to ship non-customized laptops? I bought one at the very end of March and the status is still "waiting to be shipped, est delivery 4/11/2024".

This is me pretty much, although they did at least push back the date on mine. I got the amd p14s for $1009

It's kind of disheartening that they might miss their own pushed back date lol

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

brand engager posted:

Worf posted:

This is me pretty much, although they did at least push back the date on mine. I got the amd p14s for $1009

It's kind of disheartening that they might miss their own pushed back date lol

did your ship date change at all? (idk if you got the same deal or not)

mine actually changed again since yesterday but changed to be sooner, albeit still after their initial estimate

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Yeah the estimated delivery changed this morning so I haven't contacted them yet.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Someone please talk me out of this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-L...00&from=/search

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

That's a pretty dang good deal!

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

300 nit screen. I have the older 500 nit on a 2021 and I like it more than my samsung g7 desktop monitor.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It's still a decent screen. Yeah thats a pretty good deal.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i predict it will explode

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

If you're after efficiency/battery life, the HX CPUs aren't great. This may or may not matter depending on your intended use case. Games will like the extra cache.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Helter Skelter posted:

If you're after efficiency/battery life, the HX CPUs aren't great. This may or may not matter depending on your intended use case. Games will like the extra cache.

Same with the 4070, tbh. This will be a hot laptop. Should be manageable though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

16 inches? Gross...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

16 inches? Gross...

its a tight fit for my sleeve but i could jam it in there i bet

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro I got 10 years ago that I think is finally on its last leg, both physically and computationally. I only use it for web browsing and coding while I'm away from home. I'd like to get something not expensive (maybe $500 max) that will run a browser, IntelliJ plus a JVM or two, and maybe Postman or something, without any hiccups. Doesn't have to be Windows. Any recommendations for what consider?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Worf posted:

its a tight fit for my sleeve but i could jam it in there i bet

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
semi-rant, but it's getting absurd

Why, in 2024, do windows laptops suck this hard in so many weird ways?

Ever since giving my macbook pro m1 to my sister, I've been trying to find a decent windows laptop replacement. I was hoping for stylus support so I don't need to drag a wacom around for drafting on the go.

List of laptops and issues
1. Asus flow x16 - microled screen was an absolute POS with bloom everywhere.
2. HP spectre 16 - mediocre haptic trackpad that would start "failing" and go into ultraslow 0.1x speed until you reboot
3. Samsung 360 - never reliably slept. 50% of the time i take it out of the bag with the battery drained
4. LG Gram 16 (currently) - touchscreen stops working randomly until a driver reinstall that may or may not fix it.

Battery life for every one of them seems to be maybe 50% of the macbook (5 hours vs 10), but that's an acceptable tradeoff if they were at least god drat reliable.

should i go for another gamble and try out a lenovo? they seem to be touted as having good reliability. Or do I hope this LG gets enough driver upgrades to be truly reliable? It has some good features such as the magnetic pen and the weight is really nice.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 18, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Touchscreen issues are, unfortunately, pretty common but that ultraslow issue, was that widely reported or is that something with your particular unit? The sleep reliability, screen, and battery life are things you're likely going to wrestle with if your bar is the M1 Pro macbooks. For touchscreens that you listed the HP Spectre was the one I've generally considered the best. Lenovo touchscreens I kinda consider mediocre but if you find one you like sure give it a try.

The best touchscreen experience I've had on a PC is with a Surface Pro. There's some tradeoffs there but I'd suggest taking a look there.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I searched around about the spectre bug, but the new haptic touchpad is relatively new so I didn't see much other than short term reviews. Would go with the surface pro if it had a 15"+ variant. 13" is just too small for me and the keyboard is rough.

Is the sleep issue a perpetual windows issue? I see suggestions to just force hibernate which is what I'm doing now with the LG, starting up is slower but reliable at least. Otherwise I can tell the fans are sometimes still spinning even after sleeping for a while and occasionally force a restart because it won't boot back up.

The worst part is it's not all gloom, the OLED is nice, the numpad is nice, the insane lightness is really nice. But they're kinda icing on a poo poo cake if fundamental things break randomly.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Sleep issue is very common but depends on so many factors it's hard to nail down. But yeah conservatively 20%+ of windows laptops run into some kind of issue with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

its cool that you have to go into the terminal to add in the hibernate after X minutes functionality in windows 11, i look forward to it being removed entirely