Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Lockback posted:

The X1 Carbon is usually overpriced but you can get similar specced models for far cheaper.

Keep in mind, both the XPS and Lenovo lines look to capitalize on some VP saying "Get me whatever is top of the line", so they need to be priced accordingly.

Right, the X1 is basically the same specs as a T14s but a few ounces lighter and a millimeter or two thinner. In exchange, you pay several hundred dollars more. It's not really worth it unless you get a nice sale or you REALLY care about that size/weight reduction, especially when you consider that the tight chassis limits the performance of whatever expensive CPU you end up sticking in it.

I got one as my work laptop because it is great for mobility and it's one of the standard options I was offered, but my employer probably paid about twice as much to lease a brand new X1 for three years as I paid to get a P14s to keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

I've used Thinkpads for work for years and I'd rather die than have to use one as my personal laptop due to the strong association I have with Thinpad = work.

Mental Hospitality posted:

~1000USD doesn't seem too bad for an XPS13. I priced out a Thinkpad X13 with a Ryzen 7840U but otherwise comparable specs and it came out to about $1200. It was limited to a 1TB drive though. Alternatively the new 14in Slim 7i can be had with the brand new Core Ultra 7 155H, 32GB of ram, and a touchscreen OLED for $1100 which I think would actually own bones.

Is the Core Ultra 7 enough of a step up from the i7-1360p to consider going that route instead?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I've used Thinkpads for work for years and I'd rather die than have to use one as my personal laptop due to the strong association I have with Thinpad = work.

Is the Core Ultra 7 enough of a step up from the i7-1360p to consider going that route instead?

Core Ultra 7 is just the new marketing name for core i7. It's going to depend on which one. Generally more P cores is more useful cores and what you want for performance but will also mean higher watts TDP and battery use.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/processors/core-ultra/products.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/232155/intel-core-i71360p-processor-18m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz/specifications.html

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Rexxed posted:

Core Ultra 7 is just the new marketing name for core i7. It's going to depend on which one. Generally more P cores is more useful cores and what you want for performance but will also mean higher watts TDP and battery use.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/processors/core-ultra/products.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/232155/intel-core-i71360p-processor-18m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz/specifications.html

Thanks! The Slim 7i that Mental Hospitality posted about is actually super tempting, seems like a good deal. It doesn't look like my local Best Buy has it so I can't go put my hands on it unfortunately

edit: One thing that bugs me about my current laptop is that it can only do 3 displays. Intel's site doesn't say the number of displays supported for the Core Ultra 7 155H. I'm searching the web but can't seem to find it, any chance anyone has seen something about that? I'm sure it's 4, but I'm not actually sure.

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 15, 2024

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

The Ultra benefits from 2 more Performance cores than the 1360p, and a much improved integrated graphics architecture. I'd say it's a better chip in almost every regard, but how much of that is noticeable to you probably depends on the use case and how the rest of the system is constructed. Graphics performance will absolutely be an improvement.

I haven't put hands on the Slim 7i, but if it's built anything like my Yoga 7i, then I think you'd be impressed with the build. The Yoga feels very solid and dense. Does the XPS you were looking at have an OLED display as well? That alone could be a major selling point.

Edit: Actually, here's a very recent review of that exact Lenovo. They complained the display is only FHD (technically WUXGA I guess) at 60hz. A resolution I think is still perfectly fine on a sub 15in device but I could see why others might want a little more. Even my older Yoga has a higher resolution LCD.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 15, 2024

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

The Ultra benefits from 2 more Performance cores than the 1360p, and a much improved integrated graphics architecture. I'd say it's a better chip in almost every regard, but how much of that is noticeable to you probably depends on the use case and how the rest of the system is constructed. Graphics performance will absolutely be an improvement.

I haven't put hands on the Slim 7i, but if it's built anything like my Yoga 7i, then I think you'd be impressed with the build. The Yoga feels very solid and dense. Does the XPS you were looking at have an OLED display as well? That alone could be a major selling point.

Edit: Actually, here's a very recent review of that exact Lenovo. They complained the display is only FHD (technically WUXGA I guess) at 60hz. A resolution I think is still perfectly fine on a sub 15in device but I could see why others might want a little more. Even my older Yoga has a higher resolution LCD.

It actually does have a 4k OLED. I don’t care as much about the resolution though, I use a dock at home with 3/4 monitors.

I’m pretty much sold on it instead of the XPS, I don’t care about the storage or resolution enough to pass up the improved cpu/gpu. It’s only $40 more. Estimated arrival is 2 weeks+ though, that’s basically eternity.

Edit: went all the way to checkout and the ETA is now mid-April :wtc:

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 16, 2024

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I think Lenovos estimated delivery dates can be a little wonky. I wouldn't be surprised if you got it sooner than they think.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I think Lenovos estimated delivery dates can be a little wonky. I wouldn't be surprised if you got it sooner than they think.

When I configured and ordered my 7 Slim it had a lead time of six weeks. A couple of days after I placed the order that became an expected delivery in one week. It was sent on time but I guess it just missed the boat/plane as it sat in South Korea for about 5 days before getting back underway. Ultimately it took about two weeks to get mine in the end.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I love to game on my laptop, thank you thread!

I knew for sure I'd made the right choice going for a laptop the other day when I was cuddled up on the sofa with my wife while she watched her shows/read a book, while I had it sat on the coffee table using a controller.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Has anyone used an LG Gram?

I'm looking at this and it seems okay for a pretty specialized (lightweight 2 in 1) laptop.
https://www.lg.com/us/laptops/lg-16t90sp-k.adb9u1-gram-laptop

Intel Ultra 7 155
16" OLED
32gb + 2tb SSD
2-in-1
3.1 lb
"Free" usb monitor

Only issues are small-ish battery, 77 Wh.

It seems like a decent Macbook Air 15 alternative but I already have a mac for work and would rather get something that I can draw or play games on for a personal device.

I always need to bring 2 laptops so they can't be behemoths.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

MeruFM posted:

I'm looking at this and it seems okay for a pretty specialized (lightweight 2 in 1) laptop.

My knee jerk reaction was "that seems awfully expensive", but then I realized the folding 16in OLED laptop isn't exactly a common device. You may find the HP Envy x360 16inch at a more affordable price. I see they've got an OLED version with a Ryzen 8000 series but it doesn't look like it's even in stock yet.
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-envy-x360-2-in-1-laptop-16-ad0097nr#techSpecs

Or maybe an intel version?
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-spectre-x360-2-in-1-laptop-16t-aa000-161-7m3l6av-1

HP charges a ton for the storage upgrades at which point the value is basically lost.

A 14in device would open up a lot of options.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 16, 2024

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I’ve always been issued lovely Dells and HP’s for work and recently bought a $45 T460S on eBay for personal use. Quickly realized that the slightly beat up six year old Thinkpad is way more pleasant to use on a day to day basis than my 1 year old Elitebook lol

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

MeruFM posted:

Intel Ultra 7 155
16" OLED
32gb + 2tb SSD
2-in-1
3.1 lb
"Free" usb monitor

Only issues are small-ish battery, 77 Wh.

It seems like a decent Macbook Air 15 alternative but I already have a mac for work and would rather get something that I can draw or play games on for a personal device.

I always need to bring 2 laptops so they can't be behemoths.

The only reason I'd consider a Gram is for the weight. LG go very hard on making it light: sometimes that's what you need. 2.2 lbs is tiny.
This thing is 3.1 lbs. That's still super tiny for what you get, but it's not 2.2lbs.

The 14" is the poo poo. This one will probably be the poo poo too, but big and heavy. Like a luxury pickup truck.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
A luxury pickup truck is probably the best parallel possible for a 16" 2-in-1 ultralight. It's cool that it exists but I don't know who it's for.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Luxury pickup trucks are just a modern replacement for luxury full size cars, Gen Xers and millennials are trying to be edgy using a 4 door truck as a family sedan, in the same way that millennials covet tiny houses as a rejection of boomer housing values

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hadlock posted:

Luxury pickup trucks are just a modern replacement for luxury full size cars, Gen Xers and millennials are trying to be edgy using a 4 door truck as a family sedan, in the same way that millennials covet tiny houses as a rejection of boomer housing values

I think that both the policy side (CAFE made building large sedans illegal) and improving technology in everything from tires to computerized control systems and cameras are huge contributors too. Modern trucks are much more comfortable and easier to drive because we're able to compensate for the extra ride height and mass.

Old people love new huge trucks too, this isn't a Gen X thing.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/expert-reviews/2023-ford-f-150-tremor-review-update

quote:

According to data collected from verified new-vehicle buyers for the J.D. Power 2022 Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) Study, 89 percent of new Ford F-150 buyers are male (the same as for the segment), and the median age of a new F-150 buyer is 59 years (vs. 56).

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

buffbus posted:

A luxury pickup truck is probably the best parallel possible for a 16" 2-in-1 ultralight. It's cool that it exists but I don't know who it's for.

Hadlock posted:

I don't care what anyone says......the Lincoln Mark LT (and the Blackwood) banged.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's simply because people will pay more for more vehicle but it doesn't actually cost that much more to make a large vehicle. So, it's all marketing so they can get more margins.

You get a $40k Civic and people say you are crazy, but a $40k CR-V is palatable and people lap it up even though it didn't cost them much more to make.

Ditto with $80k trucks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I'd imagine the 12" wide steel stripe that is added to the middle of a car and defines compact vs mid or full size represents about $200 worth of additional material. Larger cars tend to get poo poo gas mileage. We have a large car with a very modern engine in it but struggles to get 20mpg combined.

Not sure about other countries but in France small cars were dictated by refinery capacity and gas being super scarce post war so they had aggressive tax policies to limit their purchase. Popular cars like the 2cv were marketed/named based on their tax-hp.

In britan large displacement cars were taxed to keep the reliable, American model T and A with 3+ liter engines from stealing sales from otherwise uncompetitive British manufacturers

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I know I'm contributing to the derail, but giant trucks are a loving blight.

https://theconversation.com/ever-la...ght-back-206382

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/14/23960624/truck-suv-hood-height-pedestrian-death-report-iihs

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I thought it was kind of bullshit until I tried walking my my 3yo through the parking lot of daycare and in rolls a lifted full size truck on tall tires, and not only was he struggling to navigate the parking lot, but he absolutely would have run over a toddler without seeing them

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It's a sore spot for me in part because around here they keep trying to lower the speed limit on roads by a ridiculous amount, and some people are driving ridiculously slow EVERYWHERE due to it, when if you look at the data the problem is much less speed and much more the goddamn supersizing of "light trucks."

Also, the people most likely to be driving stupid slow are the least likely to be driving giant trucks.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

When can we expect the next generation of GPUs to be in laptops, somewhere in 2025?

Is AMD likely to do another iteration of igpu prior to that?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Worf posted:

When can we expect the next generation of GPUs to be in laptops, somewhere in 2025?

Is AMD likely to do another iteration of igpu prior to that?

Probably 2025, yeah. I'd say real availability is usually 3 months or so after the desktop line comes out (ignoring the 5090 or whatever the halo card will be called).

I have no idea what AMD will do. I wouldn't bet big on them doing anything or if they do betting it'll be cost effective.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
People were posting asking for similar to this so I figured I'd post it.

Thinkpad P14, 7840U, 64GB of RAM, 1TB SSD, OLED 1800p 14", ~$1000

For a portable developer laptop its a really really good deal. iGPU would be pretty good for light gaming too.

https://slickdeals.net/f/17346063-lenovo-thinkpad-p14s-14-2-8k-oled-ryzen-7-pro-7840u-64gb-lpddr5-1tb-ssd-1009?src=frontpage

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

People were posting asking for similar to this so I figured I'd post it.

Thinkpad P14, 7840U, 64GB of RAM, 1TB SSD, OLED 1800p 14", ~$1000

For a portable developer laptop its a really really good deal. iGPU would be pretty good for light gaming too.

https://slickdeals.net/f/17346063-lenovo-thinkpad-p14s-14-2-8k-oled-ryzen-7-pro-7840u-64gb-lpddr5-1tb-ssd-1009?src=frontpage

Ooh, this is great! I actually have a meeting with my boss later today and one of the things we were going to talk about was a new work laptop. This is basically exactly what I wanted and should be within budget.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

Ooh, this is great! I actually have a meeting with my boss later today and one of the things we were going to talk about was a new work laptop. This is basically exactly what I wanted and should be within budget.

If you put it together it will give you a far out ship date, historically that time is halved or so after you put in the order. Obv, nothing is a guarantee but if it says like April 10th I'd actually expect it end of March.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

What's the difference between this and the T series now?

I was looking at some similarly specced t14. Even the weight was quite similar

Worf fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 18, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Worf posted:

What's the difference between this and the T series now?

I was looking at some similarly specced t14. Even the weight was quite similar

P is the performance line, typically it's a slightly higher price premium for somewhat higher specs. Typically it's a bit thicker and heavier, but the 14" is really close (though it is like 10% heavier). I would guess it doesn't have the battery life of the T but only because it's got a bigger CPU than the T typically has. You can power limit it to regain most of that life (though I think the P series has a slightly smaller battery).

Overall, there really isn't a big difference in this case, it's a pretty big overlap.

The difference becomes much more apparent on the bigger machines or when you need a dGPU.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

If you put it together it will give you a far out ship date, historically that time is halved or so after you put in the order. Obv, nothing is a guarantee but if it says like April 10th I'd actually expect it end of March.

Boss-man supposedly put in a request to his boss on this for me! Our company is normally a Dell shop, but this deal makes it cheaper than the Dells that usually get ordered and has better specs, to boot!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Knowing I saved a faceless, anonymous corporation a couple hundred dollars will keep my soul burning bright.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

Knowing I saved a faceless, anonymous corporation a couple hundred dollars will keep my soul burning bright.

:lol:

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
I’m looking at a Dell XPS 15 9530 for work. My biggest concern is the 4K display and I’m wondering if all my apps are going to display properly. The only reason I’m worried about this is cuz I’ve tried to set up some apps and RDPs for a few coworkers in the past on their 4K screens and everything looked really tiny and hosed up, impossibly small text, etc. I tried loving with scaling but didn’t manage to fix it for them though I didn’t have the time to fully drill down and research it.

I’ll be hooking up to 1080 monitor when I’m in my office so maybe I can just set it as the primary display and I’ll be all good? Just not sure how things will work when on the go.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I'm in the market for a somewhat budget laptop in the sub-$600 range. I was considering the $600 M1 Macbook Air but I have one for work and don't really like macOS.

Is there anything comparable for the price if I'm just looking for something with good battery life and browsing/media consumption w/ some light scripting? I was also considering a used Surface Laptop 3 or something similar off eBay (any other recs?), since they're around $300.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

UncleGuito posted:

I'm in the market for a somewhat budget laptop in the sub-$600 range. I was considering the $600 M1 Macbook Air but I have one for work and don't really like macOS.

Is there anything comparable for the price if I'm just looking for something with good battery life and browsing/media consumption w/ some light scripting? I was also considering a used Surface Laptop 3 or something similar off eBay (any other recs?), since they're around $300.

Nothing will compare to a $600 M1 MBP in terms of battery life and build quality, that's completely in a class by itself, even if you're looking at a refurb.

If you can go up a bit in budget you can get a P14 for $699 brand new
https://slickdeals.net/f/17374623-thinkpad-p14s-gen-3-amd-14-mobile-workstation-black-699-00?src=SiteSearchV2Algo

This refurb T14 is pretty good
https://www.ebay.com/itm/166657372267

This Yoga 2-in-1 is a good deal. Not quite as powerful as the two above but it's new and the tablet mode is good for browsing/media
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...-grey/6551265.p

Mantle
May 15, 2004

UncleGuito posted:

??? At $600 this is a no brainer. Where can I get a $600 M1 MBA?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Mantle posted:

??? At $600 this is a no brainer. Where can I get a $600 M1 MBA?

Amazon and Best Buy have the base models for 650 USD

https://www.amazon.com/MacBook-Apple-Memory-256GB-Space/dp/B08PNQTYV2?th=1

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/macbook-air-13-3-laptop-apple-m1-chip-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-space-gray-space-gray/5721600.p?skuId=5721600

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Thanks for the recs!

BB refurbs are $580 - basically new but likely no box.

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 21, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Woot had refurbs for $580 but looks like that expired just a bit ago

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

drowningidiot posted:

I’m looking at a Dell XPS 15 9530 for work. My biggest concern is the 4K display and I’m wondering if all my apps are going to display properly.

How is their vision

Dell ought to be able to drop a 1080 or 768 in there for your more elderly users. You'll probably need to get on the phone with an actual human though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

drowningidiot posted:

I’m looking at a Dell XPS 15 9530 for work. My biggest concern is the 4K display and I’m wondering if all my apps are going to display properly. The only reason I’m worried about this is cuz I’ve tried to set up some apps and RDPs for a few coworkers in the past on their 4K screens and everything looked really tiny and hosed up, impossibly small text, etc. I tried loving with scaling but didn’t manage to fix it for them though I didn’t have the time to fully drill down and research it.

I’ll be hooking up to 1080 monitor when I’m in my office so maybe I can just set it as the primary display and I’ll be all good? Just not sure how things will work when on the go.

If I had a choice, I would get one with a 1080 panel.

I actually used to run my 2560x1600 panel at 1920x1080 which looked awful, but avoided the awful Windows scaling and resizing issues.