Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I still get more than that doing similar load with my 2020 G14, now on the order of 4-5, but I used to get almost 8 running similar stuff with a reasonably dim screen and forcing the GPU off. But yeah my m1 mbp I can get like 16+ so it's still not a real horse race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Apple were still pretty good at squeezing battery life out of their Intel models too but yeah the M series is another level of optimisation in both software and hardware for a very small scope.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Coworker is looking to pick up a PC, most likely a laptop. The main need he has is for photo editing, particularly "focus stacking". He wants to either use it on his lap while on a couch or hook it up to his TV. Says his budget is $2,500~(!). I don't think he particularly cares about gaming that much.

So, good SSD, Ram, and CPU right? Whats good for that these days. Also any recommendations for a wireless keyboard & mouse?

Edit: He's eye-balling this one https://www.newegg.com/black-msi-cr...N82E16834156573. Thoughts?

Wrr fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 3, 2024

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Whats the consensus on pre-installed software on laptops these days? Uninstall everything and let windows handle it? Keep some stuff?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MeruFM posted:

Whats the consensus on pre-installed software on laptops these days? Uninstall everything and let windows handle it? Keep some stuff?
Full reformat and rebuild. I'm only half-joking.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Splicer posted:

Might be worth checking for a display color calibration profile before flattening, though.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Splicer posted:

When you reformat, is the windows license attached to the machine and automatically register?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

MeruFM posted:

When you reformat, is the windows license attached to the machine and automatically register?

Hahahahano.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

MeruFM posted:

Yes. Laptops from major manufacturers that came with a Windows license will have a key embedded in their firmware that the installer should pick up automatically.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They also all get associated with your MS account if you log in with an MS ID. If you log in with the same ID, it will grab the license associated with the hardware signature.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MeruFM posted:

When I got my Asus G14 I uninstalled a handful of things but it was mostly fine. I find the armoury crate stuff to be reasonably light and have some useful functionality. My son's ideapad was worse, I had to clear out way more. I think Legion's aren't that bad so I think that's due to the fact that the ideapad is a lower-market offering so there's more junk.

I haven't needed to do a full reformat in 10 years but it does depend somewhat on the manufacturer.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yes. Laptops from major manufacturers that came with a Windows license will have a key embedded in their firmware that the installer should pick up automatically.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but doesn't that involve the software OP is trying to get rid of also being so embedded?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Do consumer laptops not come with the licence key number labelled on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop anymore?

I can’t check myself because my Thinkpad is ex corporate and my Legion 7 didn’t come with an OS, so neither do.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but doesn't that involve the software OP is trying to get rid of also being so embedded?
No. I think technically there is a possibility for manufacturers to saddle you with inescapable software delivered through the firmware, malware style, but that wouldn't have anything to do with whether you use that particular key or not. Common practice is that all that software is in a recovery partition on the drive, which you don't need to use. Just use clean install media straight from Microsoft.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Do consumer laptops not come with the licence key number labelled on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop anymore?

I can’t check myself because my Thinkpad is ex corporate and my Legion 7 didn’t come with an OS, so neither do.
No, but the key in firmware is entirely equivalent, apart from the fact that the os installer can now read it automatically. You can read it out with some PowerShell or third party software if you want.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Lockback posted:

I find the armoury crate stuff to be reasonably light and have some useful functionality.

Armory Crate is trash if you actually try to use its features unfortunately. Get G-Helper, it's better in every way.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

isndl posted:

Armory Crate is trash if you actually try to use its features unfortunately. Get G-Helper, it's better in every way.

100x this. They have made some really nice improvements for the Rog Ally in recent weeks as well.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I am a G-Helper fan. It quietly resides in a tiny little app yet has amazing functionality. Power limits, fan curve tuning, undervolting...it's all there and easy. Or you can not mess with any of that and just utilize the little built in power modes.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Flipperwaldt posted:

No. I think technically there is a possibility for manufacturers to saddle you with inescapable software delivered through the firmware, malware style, but that wouldn't have anything to do with whether you use that particular key or not. Common practice is that all that software is in a recovery partition on the drive, which you don't need to use. Just use clean install media straight from Microsoft.

No, but the key in firmware is entirely equivalent, apart from the fact that the os installer can now read it automatically. You can read it out with some PowerShell or third party software if you want.

Thanks for the info. Keeping my desktop for over 10 years and doing little in terms of building or fresh installs has really left my knowledge chronically out of date.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Arrggghhh. My Zenbook touchpad is getting increasingly erratic. Really didn't want to have to replace it.....but it's getting close to that point.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

isndl posted:

I told armoury crate to gently caress off for four hours (longest option available) and then turned off my shiny new laptop for the night. Armoury crate turned the laptop back on to update my bios with six noisy reboots at 3:30am. Which is why I'm here, awake and posting mad.

gently caress armoury crate it's getting uninstalled first thing in the morning.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Flipperwaldt posted:

You can try this from an elevated command prompt to see if you have a baked in key:
code:
wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Posting from my shiny new Asus laptop and can confirm that there's very little bullshit on it bar Armoury Crate, which is now dead to me.

isndl posted:

buffbus posted:

100x this. They have made some really nice improvements for the Rog Ally in recent weeks as well.

Mental Hospitality posted:

I am a G-Helper fan. It quietly resides in a tiny little app yet has amazing functionality. Power limits, fan curve tuning, undervolting...it's all there and easy. Or you can not mess with any of that and just utilize the little built in power modes.
Thanks for this!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Hi everyone! It looks like my wife may need a new computer. I bought her one in Dec 2021:

ASUS - ROG Zephyrus 14" Gaming Laptop - AMD Ryzen 9 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 - 1TB SSD

Through Best Buy as they had a deal going, and got the warranty, which is good because we've had to bring it in once before where they had to swap out the entire motherboard. Just a few months later and the computer won't boot at all. Who knows if they will do a replace (I doubt it) but I may just get a new one while this is being repaired as we need an extra laptop anyway.

She does game with it, mostly things like Banished, Stardew Valley, and Civilization, so graphics are not a big priority but performance and reliability are. She has something like 1,000 stardew valley mods she organizes once a week so something that can perform well and can be left running for long periods of time would be a plus, if that's a factor. Would prefer to spend less money if possible but if the warranty will cover a chunk of the new purchase we'd be able to go a bit more expensive, although that's a crapshoot who knows if they will honor it or try to give me a refurbed ASUS.

Looking at Best Buy I see a few on sale, such as:

Acer - Predator Helios Neo 16" WQXGA 165Hz IPS Gaming Laptop - Intel i7-13700HX – GeForce RTX 4060 with 16GB DDR5 – 1TB SSD - Steel Gray
1079, down from 1579, 500 off
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-p...p?skuId=6541302

ASUS - ROG Zephyrus M16 16" 240Hz Gaming Laptop QHD - Intel 13th Gen Core i9 with 16GB Memory-NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070-1TB SSD - Off Black
1599 down from 1949, 350 off
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6535501

Alienware - m16 QHD+ 165Hz Gaming Laptop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 - 1TB SSD -Windows 11 Pro - Dark Metallic Moon
1699 down from 1999, 300 off
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienw...p?skuId=6541332

Any advice would be really appreciated as always, thanks goons! :glomp:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

Any advice would be really appreciated as always, thanks goons! :glomp:

I don't think any of those are particularly great deals. Acer has the worst reputation for quality so I'd probably suggest not that. And don't pay $500 more for a 4070 over a 4060, it's not that much of a diffence.

So she has right now a very lightweight 14", and you posted 3 pretty behemoth 16" laptops which will have a VERY different feel and form factor. How does she feel about the size and how does she use it? If she liked to chill on the couch and try to get sebastian to work with the threesome mod then she won't want a 16" for sure. If she's mostly at a desk or table then maybe it's not a big deal. So figure that out first.

I'd probably point you at this Legion 5i pro with 32GB of RAM for about a grand
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1745674-REG/lenovo_82wk0082us_16_legion_pro_5i.html

Or the step up would be this guy
https://www.ebay.com/itm/156127655262
Which only has 16GB (like that you posted) but has the new 8845HS CPU and a 4070 for $1300.

However: You probably won't be getting a refund/credit for that G14, they are almost certainly going to fix it or replace it. The parts for it are still available and they probably still have new ones in stock they will give you which is better for them then giving you credit.

If you do HAVE to buy from best buy I'd suggest not buying right now. Wait for a deal like this
https://slickdeals.net/f/17365599-lenovo-legion-slim-5-16-fhd-144hz-ryzen-5-7640hs-rtx-4060-16gb-ddr5-512gb-ssd-899-99?src=SiteSearchV2Algo

Which was available as of a couple weeks ago and something similar will pop up. Something with a 4060 for around $1000.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Thanks so much! I will see how the repair goes then and, if we wind up wanting to get a second laptop, wait for one that’s a better fit. Appreciate it!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Can/Should I pull the trigger on this?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1745684-REG/lenovo_82wq002tus_16_legion_pro_7.html

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What is your usecase? Your budget?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

hope u have another SSD kicking around

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

What is your usecase? Your budget?

Long term, vr, doesnt matter on kudget within reason

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It's a good deal and fast but it will be hot and it's expensive.

Essentially about as good as a self-contained gaming laptop as exists though.

bushisms.txt posted:

Long term, vr, doesnt matter on kudget within reason

I caution on VR not because its not enough Horse Power but because it might, might have thermal issues. It's still a good machine but you may need to control your power settings and turn things way down low on the GPU, which for most VR games will be no problem. For VR games that are not well optimized and try to push the GPU hitting thermal throttling while in VR is....unpleasant.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Lockback posted:

It's a good deal and fast but it will be hot and it's expensive.

Essentially about as good as a self-contained gaming laptop as exists though.

I caution on VR not because its not enough Horse Power but because it might, might have thermal issues. It's still a good machine but you may need to control your power settings and turn things way down low on the GPU, which for most VR games will be no problem. For VR games that are not well optimized and try to push the GPU hitting thermal throttling while in VR is....unpleasant.

Do you know of a way to mitigate this, is it just the configuration of this laptop? do you know anything similar that doesn't have that issue?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

bushisms.txt posted:

Do you know of a way to mitigate this, is it just the configuration of this laptop? do you know anything similar that doesn't have that issue?

It’s because it’s a laptop. They run into thermal limits very quickly because there just isn’t enough heatsink mass and not enough fans to move the heat.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

So I've been using that Dell detachable two in one, it's actually been quite nice even coming from a daily iPad mini user. The fact that it's under 2 lbs makes it really pretty decent. I got mine refurbished and the battery is not in the greatest condition so I may end up replacing that. I initially was going to use Ubuntu with this, but it turns out that Windows 11 is actually a much superior tablet interface.

I'm actually really impressed with how this stacks up even compared to using the iPad. Voice typing is comparable and built in, and it's an actual full operating system. Mine did not come with the keyboard but I got one refurbished for $20 and actually that is also superb quality. I can't imagine paying full price for this stuff honestly, but paying eBay refurbished prices this is a heck of a deal for under 300 bucks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

It's because it's a laptop.

Keep your GPU power limits low, try to keep your game settings such that it doesn't push the GPU tremendously. Keep your laptop as well ventilated as you can. What surface it sits on has an impact, a cooling pad may help if you don't have a good surface. If you're stuffing this into a backpack good luck, thermals will likely be your main enemy.

Also depends on what you're doing. If you're playing beatsaber it won't matter. If you're playing Flight Simulator you're going to have to fight with it. A 4090 is still a good choice because the perf/watt is better but just be aware at full tilt managing the heat is a problem.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Lockback posted:

It's because it's a laptop.

Keep your GPU power limits low, try to keep your game settings such that it doesn't push the GPU tremendously. Keep your laptop as well ventilated as you can. What surface it sits on has an impact, a cooling pad may help if you don't have a good surface. If you're stuffing this into a backpack good luck, thermals will likely be your main enemy.

Also depends on what you're doing. If you're playing beatsaber it won't matter. If you're playing Flight Simulator you're going to have to fight with it. A 4090 is still a good choice because the perf/watt is better but just be aware at full tilt managing the heat is a problem.

Thanks for the advice🙏🏽 Would a 4080 be safer? or should I just stick with the 4090?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

bushisms.txt posted:

Thanks for the advice🙏🏽 Would a 4080 be safer? or should I just stick with the 4090?

Like Lockback mentioned, the 4090 has a better perf/watt so you are better off sticking with it. This means that at any given power level, the 4090 will offer more performance than a 4080. The more power a component consumes, the more heat it produces. Just lower the power limit to a point that it won't throttle. You will also want to put a fps limit on games, if only to limit how much power the CPU consumes. The less power consumed, the less heat produced.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Do you need a laptop? You could build a very portable small form factor with that budget that will be faster, quieter, upgradable and better resale value.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

Like Lockback mentioned, the 4090 has a better perf/watt so you are better off sticking with it. This means that at any given power level, the 4090 will offer more performance than a 4080. The more power a component consumes, the more heat it produces. Just lower the power limit to a point that it won't throttle. You will also want to put a fps limit on games, if only to limit how much power the CPU consumes. The less power consumed, the less heat produced.

Yep, although VR games will have a fps limit already, you just need to watch it. Most VR games will be fine, a small number will suck a lot of resources.

How are you planning on using this laptop? If your thinking backpack this is part of why that really isn't a common thing.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Canna Happy posted:

Do you need a laptop? You could build a very portable small form factor with that budget that will be faster, quieter, upgradable and better resale value.

I'm gonna be on the move a bunch or this is definitely what I wanted to do, I know it's way less expensive, just don't have the room or the arms to carry much.

Kibner posted:

Is it easy to "lower the power limit”? That's just metaphorical for like keep the graphics modest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm pretty sure there's an effective way to do the in software so that it only draws like, 70watts, probably involving under clocking