Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hadlock posted:

Reserved for: your highly reccomended laptops, sure bet, etc, base model price, rounded up to the next $100

Apple Macbook Pro $1300

$1199 ($1200, not $1300)

I'd suggest putting in capital letters that the T430 screen is dogshit compared to almost any other laptop, even the T530 is a grand improvement. That said, it's still probably the best bet for a 14" laptop that isn't a piece of crap.

It's a loving joke that Lenovo includes such a mediocre screen who's only redeeming quality is the 1600x900 resolution. The viewing angles and black levels are just flat out pitiful. I don't suggest buying a laptop that doesn't have an IPS screen, it's 2013. It is such a huge increase in screen quality and laptop usability. The regular 13" MacBook Pro has a really nice screen (as does the 15"), it's a bit glossy but for a non-IPS screen it's among the best out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Glowing review of the T430 screen:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430s-Notebook.82261.0.html

quote:

Black level, unfortunately, continues to be very poor with a measured value of 2.09 nits leading to a contrast of only 134:1. This is comparable to the display of the T430 and T420s and even the Dell Latitude E6420, but it doesn’t excuse the fact that fine details in dark scenes and images will appear gray and a bit blurry. Those demanding more impressive black levels can opt for the ThinkPad T530 or even the workstation W Series, though they will of course demand much more from the wallet.

The gamut range covers 60 percent of sRGB, which is standard for budget TN displays and is almost 1:1 with the display of the T430 despite having a different panel ID. Coupled with the poor contrast ratio, the T430s is absolutely not fit as a primary work computer for professional and digital artists where accurate color reproduction is crucial.

Viewing angle stability is typical for a budget TN display, if not underwhelming. The visual distortions are less pronounced if word processing or browsing as the screen will be predominantly text, but the color shifts will become much more obvious if viewing images or movies. Horizontal viewing angles from the normal are rather poor and vertical angles fare even worse. Users may find themselves consistently tilting the monitor forward for a better view if sharing pictures and videos with adjacent viewers.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

quote:

Seems pretty typical for a $700 laptop. They won't get good screens until the prices are bumped up to $1300+

All they have to do is offer a better screen for $49 or $99.

They should put the much-improved screen from the Carbon X1 in the T440...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Asus Zenbook UX31A has gone for ~$600 refurbished in the past. Great screen, good keyboard, it'll be an Ivy Bridge i5 with 128GB SSD and 4GB RAM. Just be double sure you're not getting a UX32A or some other model numbers, which are low end and just typical consumer crap.

Don't those usually come with only a 90 day warranty?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Seagate and WD have released 5mm HD's:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6873&News=Seagate+5mm+Laptop+Hard+Drive+Ultrathin

So expect to see SSD adoption slowed a little bit more...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Bananana posted:

Could I buy a tower and, while I get money for a proper screen et al, use my year old laptop as the screen?

Nope.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Weinertron posted:

Do you need a laptop immediately? Will you be using it unplugged ever? It would be a very good idea to wait for WWDC 2013 next week if you can, new Macs should be announced with Haswell processors. If you care about battery life at all, it's worth waiting to get a Haswell mac.

The Retina 13" right now has pretty good battery life (7+ hr), I wouldn't buy one right now with Haswell around the corner but I doubt there will be huge gains in battery life.

Shofixti posted:

Once the new macs are announced at WWDC, it's possible that the previous generation refurbs will be cheaper (though admittedly I know very little about the pricing of Apple products). In any case, I would wait to see what gets announced over the coming weeks. Also, the Mac Hardware thread will probably be able to provide you with more information and specifics http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426201

The refurbs won't really get cheaper - Apple is famous for older refurb products being priced strangely high.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Nice eBay daily deal for $225

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Inspir...=item58a0b94891

Inspiron 11Z
Core i3
11"
250GB
Windows 7
2GB RAM :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hadlock posted:

$225 sounds mediocre at best. medicore screen, keyboard, average quality case, awful touchpad. Get what you pay for etc etc, probably not a bad buy for someone who is going to connect a mouse to it and maybe an external monitor. i3 these days is nothing to sneeze at.

Remember that it's a brand new $225 and some people are still buying the last of the netbooks for that much.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sony has released their Air competitors, the Vaio Pro

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/4/4395926/sony-vaio-pro-review-were-going-to-war-with-the-macbook-air

Super thing and light design, great 1080p display on both the 13 and 11 models, great battery life. But Sony software stinking it up, Windows scaling not being very good, flimsy build, poo poo keyboard and trackpad keep it from being recommended.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I like my screen not looking like a screen door. My vision is 20/40 but my imac looks like a pixelated mess compared to my rMBP. It makes fonts look so much more clear that it's worth it.

Plus, you can run a high res panel at a lower resolution than native and it still looks pretty good. You can run 1680x1050 on a 13" screen instead of 1280x800, for example.

You need something like 2560x1600 to do this though, 1920x1080 isn't quit enough for it to not look funny.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

Except screen door isn't something that comes just from resolution - it also has to do with the construction of the screen. I have 20/20 vision uncorrected and am fine with most lower res displays. It also seems like part of your problem is that OS X has particularly bad font rendering. If you're scaling displays and still think it looks ok, then probably you're not using the full resolution of the screen anyway. I wouldn't pay the significant price premium for a high-res screen that doesn't work well with my software, especially since it also will reduce battery life and portability by needing a stronger backlight or having a less bright screen, etc.
No, I've just been spoiled by hi-resolution text rendering on my phone, tablet, and now my laptop.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I shouldn't be this excited about a $1500 internet appliance. But it's the nicest internet appliance. And it can run Linux.

So can other laptops and they do a much better job of it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TV's are insanely bright and reading a lot of text will burn your eyes out of your skull. They are not the ideal monitor for many reasons. I know people who have a 32" or 37" ON THEIR DESK and use it regular. :psyduck:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anti-Derivative posted:

I quite liked the psudo mechanical looking keyboard on my thinkpad W520. Are the new apple style key-in-body keyboards on the thinkpads better/worse than those?

Check the reviews - they made a big stink when that keyboard first came out but it's supposedly very, very similar mechanics underneath

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hadlock posted:

This is pretty much the entire argument for Intel's Ultrabooks. A happy medium between craptops and $$ apple laptops. Sort of an "intel stamp of 'not complete poo poo' approval" that hovers around the $600 price point.

Weren't the manufacturers complaining that ultrabooks cost to much to make?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Vizio talked about bringing design to ultrabooks but they're all basically 'cut a slab out of aluminium'. Other than painting it blue or black, or giving the lid some weird finish, there's not much you can do.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The one thing I liked about my T400 over my T500 - they put one USB port on the right side. I liked being able to plug a mouse in over there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

I finally got sick of this netbook I've been struggling with and ordered an x230 off the lenovo outlet for what looks like about half price. There's not much I can do about it now, but do they all come with IPS screens? Will it take a normal size SSD?

7mm, which is a pretty popular size.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gnomedolf posted:

My opinion is that the 1366x768 resolution should be banned from the face of the earth. It gives such a terrible experience.

It's allowable on 11" and 12" screens.

768 pixels is still just...ugh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Weinertron posted:

on a screen smaller than 12" it's perfect and any more would stress the GPU your eyes.
fixed. Once you get to 130+ ppi things get tiny.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

shrughes posted:

Latches are just another thing that can break, and they only keep the laptop from flying open _after_ the main impact has been absorbed. They're only really useful if the hinge itself can't hold the laptop closed. The space and budget needed for latch holes and a tube going across the laptop's interior would be better spent on an actual improvement to the machine's structural integrity.

Sunken hinges are good because they keep the screen closer to the keyboard and retarded people that can't touch type and would suffocate without a backlit keyboard thus have less distance to move their eyes.

Sunken hinges force the user to look another half inch downward at the screen which is bad. But it's common with convertibles since it allows the screen to open to 180 degrees

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

gently caress yes. This seems like a substantial boost; when's the last time that a new CPU was 150% as efficient as its predecessor?

I don't even need > 7 hours battery life but I think my 13" rMBP is going to be for sale pretty dang soon

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Not much of a boost (at least with that Acer) in graphics from Ivy to Haswell in ultrabooks.

quote:

On the GPU side you should expect to see around a 15% increase in performance compared to last generation’s HD 4000 GPU. Neither improvement is significant enough to dramatically change the performance class of Ultrabooks, but the situation at least improves.

Every bit helps but I guess I was expecting closer to 40-50% faster.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Talaii posted:

There are two models of the GPU - one with 20 shader cores (HD 4200/4400/4600, depending on clocks), and one with 40 (HD 5000/5100). That's the former - HD 5000 should be significantly faster. We're still waiting to see some benchmarks, though.

Right - I was just expecting more of a HD3000-HD4000 jump. I know that the HD4400 isn't the highest one, which will provide closer to that. It'd have been nice if the 20 core was 50% faster and then 40 core was 100% faster.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Talaii posted:

There are two models of the GPU - one with 20 shader cores (HD 4200/4400/4600, depending on clocks), and one with 40 (HD 5000/5100). That's the former - HD 5000 should be significantly faster. We're still waiting to see some benchmarks, though.

Apple went with the HD5000. Nice!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

InstantInfidel posted:

You have a large, glowing, Alien-shaped contraceptive on your laptop.

I interviewed at a place where the IT director had an Alienware laptop on his loving desk.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Lenovo's go into space. Advantage: LENOVO

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BotchedLobotomy posted:

It looks like they already have some haswell laptops, but the only options are these for an i5: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Processor+Type_Intel+Core+i5+Haswell&ci=18818&N=4110474292+4033986829

Which seems sort of pathetic on clock speed, 1.3ghz?
It turbos up to 2.6GHz or whatever, it's not like the old ULV chips that were stuck at 1.3GHz.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Does the Air take an mSATA SSD, and is it user replaceable?
The new Air has gone to a PCI-E SSD, OWC sold a replacement for the old version which used an Air-only SATA SSD. The physical connection is the same but they aren't compatible with each other. I'd expect OWC to release an upgrade kit, but it will be expensive.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Is it possible for you to post a fact in this thread, or at least a link to at least support your statement? Looking through your ambitious post history in this brand new thread, you aren't contributing anything here.

We determined sports was a troll a long time ago.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

dissss posted:

Hmmm while battery is much better than the T430s its still not enough - they're definitely falling behind the competition there :/

It's on an Ivy chip, not Haswell. That laptop has been out for a few months already.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You end up losing one of the Air's biggest strengths: Long battery life

The Verge posted:

In Boot Camp, the Air lasted four hours and 11 minutes and in Parallels four hours and 28 minutes. That’s about two hours less than I had gotten just the day before in OS X

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I've gotten weird results before in the disk benchmarks when running in a virtual environment. Usually inflated.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bleh Maestro posted:

They cost more money than a windows laptop. I also want a full size laptop instead of an air, and a full size macbook are even more expensive :(

Why do you want a 'full size' laptop? Bigger screen? Strength building exercises? Less room in your backpack?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

hooah posted:

What is this kerfuffle about the buttons on the new vs. old Thinkpads? Are people talking about the buttons above the trackpad you'd use while using the nipple? I can't see myself getting that much up in arms about that, as I've never thought the mouse nipple was all that great to use. Granted, I've tried it out for maybe a total of 10 minutes. Are they really that great once you get used to them?

The nipple rules don't be talking bad about the nipple.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

If you have a million dollars the HP DreamColors are pretty nice ($650 upgrade!)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

The screen on the sony is better though.
No IPS on your X230?

knox_harrington posted:

For info the SSD is a Samsung 840 non-Pro 250GB. I was being cheap, don’t hate me.
Same here. For what I do on my laptop, I'm not afraid of wearing it out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Are there any good 12" laptops that can take a 2.5" drive? The X200-X230's cost too much and the HP 2530-50's use those stupid 1.8" hard drives.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

returnh posted:

Does anyone know the answer to this? I really like the look of the T430 / X230 but I can't wait that long for Haswell-updated versions either (I thought someone said they were coming this month?).

I just realized thr haswel-based successor to the T430 could possibly last almost 48 hours withe 9-cell and slice batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Schmetterling posted:

Still looking at laptops for uni on ebay; which would be better for carrying around, the T430 or the X230?
Smaller is better. Get the X230! The T430S is nice but the X230 is reeeally small. Remember you can plug an 11 or 12 inch laptop into a 22" monitor when you get back to your room/desk.

Schmetterling posted:

I've found a couple of too-good-to-be-true auctions for an X230 ($250, with Win7 32 bit?)
New to eBay? :haw: