Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Schmetterling posted:

What do you mean?

Because those prices will only go up - if you want to look at what they're actually selling for instead of what the current bid happens to be at, look at recently ended auctions for laptops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Schmetterling posted:

Forty minutes left and this one is still at $400 inc shipping.

I'd bid, but I'm wary of the 32 bit Windows.

Usually all the bidding happens right at the end.

Install 64-bit Windows - you can still use the same key.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Schmetterling posted:

EDIT: and it goes under the wire at $560 total. Very, very cheap, but I feel a bit suss about the whole thing. The guy has an identical second one up too for another 20 minutes, but I don't think I'll risk it.

If it's new in box, or new refurb in box, I wouldn't worry about it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

dissss posted:

Also battery life is going to be much better on the X230. My T430s is fairly disappointing in that regard.

Do you have the 9 cell battery (or whatever the big one that sticks out the back is)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

So 1366x768 is dying. Next up, kill 16:9.

I'll take a 2700x1800 Haswell Chromebook Pixel, please.

With upgradeable RAM and HD of course.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

My mom wants a laptop with a numberpad because her current laptop without one is driving her crazy. Other than the numberpad she doesn't need too much power, but I'm worried about a 1080p screen being too small for her to read. Are there any 900p 15" laptops with numberpads? All I can see between Dell and Lenovo is either 720p or 1080p.

HP Probook

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Pretty much this. 99% of people who use credit cards lose money on them. People like you who use them to farm airline miles are loss leaders who do free advertising for them to people who can't afford your lifestyle.

Credit cards exist because most people use them to buy poo poo they can't afford. This is a fact and the reason why all american CC companies are headquartered in SD

This 10X. When I was 19-22 I bought a ton of computer poo poo on credit. Dell, Best Buy, whatever banks the other places used. I had like over $10,000 in computers purchased and after 3 years I didn't have anything to show for it. I had sold them or they were only worth $300. Hell I even bought a $2800 Mac and traded it to a guy for a motorcycle because I couldn't get a loan for a bike from my bank, but I could get credit from MacMall.

After a few years I figured out that was stupid and just started paying that poo poo off like a mad man but I'd never, ever buy a computer on credit again.

Unless, maybe you needed a computer to do contract work or something on and you were going to be paid enough where it made sense. Like you need a Mac to do some iOS programming but don't have $1500 laying round. And in that case I'd probably donate some plasma or sell some other random poo poo to come up with $700 for a used one.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Vinlaen posted:

What are the alternatives to the Macbook Air 11.6" ?

I'm looking for this:
  • 16:9 aspect ratio (for video)
  • 128GB or more storage
  • Close to MBA form-factor

I'm looking at some of the refurbished Macbook Airs and they have some decent deals but I'm wondering if anything else even exists.

Acer S7, ASUS UX21

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Have you read the thread at all? The IdeaPads are just consumer laptops and don't have much to do with Thinkpads.

HP Pavillions are shitboxes. Go up to a ProBook or EliteBook, or get a Lenovo Thinkpad.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm speaking partly (mostly) as a desktop owner.

But you are right, I'm being dismissive of 50%+ more battery life. Be interesting to see what this is actually in real world, hopefully the reviews will start rolling in this month.

The Haswell Macbook Air reviews have shows huge improvements in medium and heavy use scenarios compared to Ivy/Sandy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

sports posted:

Have you tried using multiple desktops?
Doesn't solve the problem of only having 768 pixels.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Corosiv posted:

In terms of Retina vs Air: Has anyone here used a 13.3" Retina Pro? I like the screen resolution on paper and the extra weight doesn't bother me (old laptop was heaver and I never had a problem), but is it worth it? Does it still look good on the 13.3" or are things too small? Do a lot of programs have crappy scaling?

It runs out of the box at a simulated 1280x800 using 4:1 scaling. 1440x900 and 1680x1050 are both available and look decent, but at higher res than 1440 everything is too small IMO. I couldn't imagine using 1920x1080 on a 13.3" screen. I've done that resolution on the Retina with QuickResX, it looks amazing but I'd never be able to use it for more than a few minutes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

sports posted:

You could get a Samsung Chromebook. It would do what you'd do when jonesing for a computer, but at least it would be yours and you'd be able to do 25% of what computers do, which is browse the web.
Fixed that for you.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Naffer posted:

I was just looking at customizing a Dell Latitude 6430u through my University's Premier site and I couldn't believe the difference in available options versus the regular Dell website. I can configure one with an i7 and 16 GB of RAM and neither are options on the regular site. There's also a choice of 5 different wireless cards plus 4 different mobile broadband options.
Who knew?

The last few times i configured a Dell i noticed the number of options very very limited. Probably an attempt to not have so many build to order machines

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Skeleton Apologist posted:

What do you guys thonk about the refurbished retina 13' MacBook Pro? They are pretty cheap right now.
Worth the price or should I wait and get the new model which will probably have the 1600€ base price again.

Do you care about the battery life? The HD4000 and USB 3.0 on the 2012 are pretty dang good, so if you're not interested in the 12 hour battery, save your $$

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have an HP Probook for the last few weeks at work, it's kind of an in-between of the Envy and Elitebook lines. It has a metallic body around the keyboard, but you can tell it's hollow, thin metal. It has a lot of flex to it and it doesn't have a solid feel like a MacBook Pro.

It's fairly thick, and the keyboard includes a number pad, which is a joke. It's incredibly uncomfortable to place your hands on the side of the keyboard instead of the center. The up/down arrow keys are also incredibly small. The touchpoint or whatever HP calls it isn't quite as good as Lenovos, but it's a mile ahead of the horrible trackpad. It's a large trackpad but doesn't pick your movements up half the time. For just moving the cursor, it's not to bad, but scrolling doesn't work 2/3 times and it's very, very bad about filtering out when your palm or something hits it. If the edge of your palm is making contact with the touchpad when you try to move the cursor, it won't go anywhere.

The screen is only 1366x768 (14"), not sure if there's a higher resolution available, but this one doesn't have it. That said, the A6 processor combined with a platter-based HD makes for a miserable computing experience.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

InstantInfidel posted:

They're also bigger, shinier, flashier, and generally foolproof contraceptives.

These are the same people who buy gaming chairs, Fatal1ty headsets, huge clicky keyboards, and $150 mice. A massive laptop that looks like an Afflicition t-shirt crossed with a Lite-Brite isn't going to be anything new.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ABOUT drat TIME

Just need to talk my employer into buying me one...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I'm setting up my mom's new T430 and had a couple of questions:

1. I told her to get the 1600x900 configuration, but now I'm worried that everything is too small for her eyesight
130 ppi is not mom-friendly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MeaningOfLife posted:

Sorry, I should say my dad's a PC user only. Any Windows based ultrabook you would recommend for me to get?

Razer Blade? The new one isn't too gaudy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MacBook Airs are insanely popular for developers so I don't see why a Windows ultrabook would be a bad choice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

syzygy86 posted:

I don't have any personal experience with them, but System76 laptops are rebranded Clevo units. The Galago looks like its the Clevo W470SU. You'll probably find more information looking for Clevo reviews.

Sometimes the Linux magazines will have reviews/features of them but they're really just glorified advertisements.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

I really want something just like the 11" Macbook Air - extreme portability but without the price point or do I not have any options?

The 11" Acer S7 can be had for $799 or less

(but I don't know if I'd call a 3-hour battery 'extreme portability')

There's also the Asus UX21 but it's a pile of junk according to the customer reviews.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 15, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Would'nt a lower res like 1600x900 make more sense on a 13" or 14" gaming laptop, since it allows for a less powerful GPU?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

App13 posted:

Any thoughts on the M11x? I spend about 6 months out of the year out to sea, and am looking for something to run AutoCAD on.

Is 1366x768 usable in AutoCAD?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

HP Envy's are junk. On the level of your current Wal-book. Go with an Probook or Elitebook if you buy HP, otherwise stick with the T430. Worth waiting for Haswell if you can, but the HD4000 + i5 3230 isn't the end of the world.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

InstantInfidel posted:

This is probably a better buy. They haven't put Haswell in it yet, but a few people in the thread have purchased these and have had no complaints. Another option is the Thinkpad X120e or X130e, if you can find them for a decent price.

It's not super-thin and doesn't have an SSD but it's the one of the only Windows 11.6" machines that doesn't totally suck

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Are Lenovos known for being picky about memory? I have a T400 and I tried to stuff the old 2x2GB DDR3-8500 sticks from my 2010 MBP in it... no boot. Same with trying both sticks separately one at a time so it's not a slot issue. Are ram timing issues really a thing with current-ish hardware? Or should I just assume that both sticks are bad? The 1x2GB DDR3-8500 Samsung stick that came with the laptop works fine.

Re-seat them. I stuck Mac upgrade kit DDR3 8500 in my T400 and T500 and they were both fine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GZA Genius posted:

Also looking into a 128 GB SSD to install to my mSATA drive. I need to purchase a caddy as well for installation? Like this: http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_7&products_id=392
You don't need a caddy for an mSATA drive - there's a panel on the bottom of the computer where you install it, not unlike a stick of RAM.

The caddy is for adding a hard drive where your DVD drive is.

quote:

Looking into this for a mSATA drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148612

Why is this way cheaper than a 2.5 SSD?
$119 isn't a good price for a 128GB 2.5" SSD

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Aren't the refurbs basically just 'open box', returned and tested, or just had a component replaced?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hadlock posted:

There are a couple of Thinkpad x120's floating around in SA Mart on any given day. Generally under $450.

Nice machines but they cost that much when they were released and were slow then. The Intel ULV options were always miles ahead in CPU performance, the only thing the E series AMD chips had going for them was the graphics chip.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

My mom is looking for a laptop, and doesn't like my idea of a t430. She visits her sisters a lot and wants to do lots of typing, but also watch movies on it and wants a 20" screen with 1080p, which I don't think even exists. How do I talk her into a Lenovo instead, or is the a brand I'm unaware of that would work for this? Budget of 1k.

You're not going to tell the differences between 720 and 1080 while watching a movie on a 20" screen, at least not from any further back than 2-3 feet.

Saeger made this 20" beast:

(17" Alienware on top for reference)

Dell made some 18" or 19" laptop as well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It's a huge difference. 125+ ppi is about the point where people start to say "everything is too small", which is what 1080p on a 17" ends up being. 1366 is a comically large 92 ppi on a 17" screen.

1920x1080 @ 17" = 129.58 ppi
1366x768 @ 17" = 92.18 ppi

An 11" MacBook Air @ 1366 is about the same ppi as a 17" @ 1080.

1366@768 @ 11.6" = 135 ppi

For shits and giggles I looked up what VGA would be on a 14-15" monitor back in the day.

320x200 @ 13.8" = 27.34 ppi (what games like Doom ran at)
640x480 @ 13.8" = 57.97 ppi (what you probably ran Win 3.11 or 95 at)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ronald McReagan posted:

I really like the sound of the new MBAs, but I will probably need to run Windows sometimes and I've heard that the battery life outside of OSX is not so great. Are there any Windows machines out now (or that I could get my hands on around the 11th) that are comparable? I'm hoping to spend about $1000, but I can go up if necessary.

What will you need to do in Windows? Run some weird one-off program? You can always just fire it up in VirtualBox or something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Nitramster posted:

When I worked at Office Depot there was this russian dude that would go to every store in the area and buy as many of the most discounted laptops we had every sunday night, he'd send them back to russia and his brother would sell them. It's very doable.

Whenever I put old junk laptops on craigslist (Think P4, Turion, etc) for $20 this little Chinese guy always picks them up, working or not. Sends them back to his family.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ronald McReagan posted:

I'm not 100% sure yet, but I am pretty confident I will at least need to run Access.

edit: I'm also pretty sure that I will not ever need to run Windows for 8+ hours at a time. How much worse is the MBA's battery life on Windows?
If you're just going to run access, fire it up in VMware/Parallels/VirtualBox.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ronald McReagan posted:

I'm almost sold. I should be getting a bit more info this week about what'll be expected of me (and hence the computer). Just for my own edification, what would be some use cases where I would definitely want to run Windows itself?

Playing vid'ya games and stuff.

I was just browsing the 2011 Air benchmarks and the battery differences were only about 20% or so running Windows 7 instead of OS X. On a 12-hour battery that's not going to affect you too much.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

This is getting into forecasting the future territory with respect to the W & T440/540 lines, but is there any indication those laptops will be Windows 8 only?

Lenovo won't do that - too many customers using Windows 7. Consumer-oriented machines, yet, but not the T-series.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mania posted:

I'm probably gonna get the latest Macbook Air, is it worth it to upgrade to 8GB ram and/or the i7 chip? I'm mostly going to be surfing the net, watching videos, writing reports and using photoshop to edit images, probably all at the same time. And maybe editing and rendering short videos on FCP once in awhile.
Yes. The i7 is 20-25% boost now instead of 10%

Michymech posted:

I hate the OS on macs, and i would rather stick to windows because my main intention for the laptop is to learn to use and practice Solidworks and refine my skills with AutoCAD too along with word processing stuff. Games and movies are just things that i may do on my downtime while at uni. And looking at benchmarks for the HD5000 and the GT740M the latter comes out ahead.

Taking out weight/size ( not a issue for me), battery life (again not a issue for me) and the RPM speed of the HDD (If and when that becomes a problem i can change it for a 7500RPM HDD or a SSD or even see how a RAMchache would go seeing how i have 16GB of ram) What about this laptop warrants such a reaction that some people have shown?
You bought a good laptop for your needs. The recommendation against 17" (and hell, 15") machines is that people expect to drag them to class every day and then come home and play WoW. It's a huge beast and the battery doesn't last for poo poo. But if you really need a portable CAD station or something like that, it's the right buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

That's nothing, with Win 8 Enterprise you can downgrade all the way down to Win 95/NT.

Just because you're licensed doesn't mean you get the drivers!

It would be funny to see Windows 95 running on a Surface.