Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
So I've been using an HP DM1 for a while now and while I like the portability, the heat it generates is bugging me. After about an hour, everything starts stuttering and slowing down. I'm starting a new job next week so I might be able to afford a higher priced ultra slim laptop soon.

I'm mainly looking for something that is small (sub 14 inch), light weight, decent heat management (prefer side/back venting over bottom or no vents), and will play some mid-range Steam games like Torch Light 2, Minecraft, and Might & Magic Heroes 6. It would be nice if it could run something like Borderlands 2 or XCom but not necessary since gaming will be mostly offline. And I don't mind setting graphics down so long as it's smooth.

Also, I can easily get an SSD aftermarket so HD is not a concern. I'm assuming 4-8GB of ram, an i5 Haswell processor, and, if possible, an Nvidia graphics card.

I like the Macbook Air but most of the programs I use are Windows based so unfortunately, I'll have to stick with non-Mac laptop.

It would be used as a backup for when I'm on a plane, waiting at a doctor's office, or at a future conventions (I'm doing some panels at a local convention that's coming up but will bring my iPad Mini for that).

I don't know what my price range is right now but I'm thinking I'd like to keep it down around $1000. But there's a lot of options in that price range and I'm struggling on where to start.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Macs are really nice and I'd love to get one. But I've fiddled around with some aftermarket sound software on my Mac Mini and it starts to get complicated for me when I go outside Apple's pre-design setup. I know so little about Mac software, I fear I'd get lost trying to set it up.

I saw the Samsung, and a Sony would be nice but I'm concerned about the driver support.

How's the Asus Zenbook? I see there's one that has an i5 and Nvidia graphics option. The i7 is around $1200-1300 so I assume the i5 will be a couple hundred less. I just need to find a place that sells it with those options.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

DrDork posted:

They're decent laptops, though not amazing. Reviews for them should be easy to find. Just note that the one you linked (as well as the other currently available Zenbooks) are last-gen Ivy Core CPUs, not Haswell, and as such will not benefit from the extended battery life. There should be refreshed ones coming out in the next month or two, though: http://www.techspot.com/news/53894-asus-zenbook-ux301-haswell-gorilla-glass-3-lid-high-res-display.html

Oh sweet. I'm in no rush since I can't afford it now so I'll wait and see. Thanks!

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Samsung pushed back their 13" 1080p "Chromebook 2" to end of may, second 3+ week delay in the rollout.

Now it's June? I'm seriously thinking of getting this as a replacement for my dinky HP DM1. The stats look great for $400:

Samsung Exynos 5 Octa 5800 2.0 GHz Processor (2 MB Cache)
4 GB DDR3L SDRAM
16 GB Solid-State Drive
13.3-Inch Screen, 1920 x 1080 LED Full HD Resolution

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Wrong thread. Sorry bout that!

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

My Samsung Chromebook Pro produced feet and walked away yesterday at my work. I'm hoping someone just set it aside for safe keeping and I will have it back next week but there's a good chance it's officially stolen. I got it for a good deal so I'm not sure I want to shell out for another one if it is indeed gone.

My SO has the Acer Chromebook 11 model but I've really fallen in love with the slim design. Would the Asus Chromebook Flip be a good replacement in terms of processor power, size, and battery life? Does Acer make a slim design like the Samsung or are they all a little bulky?

I literally don't store anything on it and pretty much watch Youtube and check my email on my lunchbreaks and my main concerns are battery life, portability, and not being a snail with multiple tabs open. Also, less than $400 would be preferred.

Edit to include link.

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 23, 2019