Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Looking at grabbing a new gaming laptop but I've had this one for over six years so I'm a bit out of the current loop.
1) Is there any real gaming reason to go from an i7 to an i9 other than dickwaving and a heat fetish?
2) Who's good these days for longevity? I'm a bit eh on Asus at the moment and my main priority is not having to buy a new laptop for at least 4 years. This is a factor for (2) because I don't want to get something that will be obsolete
3) Are the 4060/4070 laptop models as bad as they say? I'm an old so I'd happily stick with 1920*1080 @ 60mhz until I die but people don't make those screens any more, but as per (2) I don't want to struggle to run games in 3 years or have a 4080 melt the other components in 2.

I'm currently looking at an MSI Raider 17.3in 2560x1440 240Hz, GeForce RTX 4080, Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD despite it being about 25% more than I wanted to spend and tbh the novelty of finding an off the shelf laptop in my country with more than 500GB hard disk is the main deciding factor. Going to lock the framerate to 60mhz :sickos:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Thanks for putting Lenovo on my radar, I didn't know they did gaming laptops.

And yes my current machine is a 6 year old Asus that's served me very well, but whatever's going on at Asus QC at the moment I don't want to get involved.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Ryzen 9 7945HX
16GB
RTX 4060

Other than the ram being a a little lower than I'd like am I right in saying this is would keep me decently in gaming for 3 or 4 years?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lockback posted:

As long as your ok with setting graphic settings down and assuming this isn't 4k, yes probably.
1920x1080 monitor resolution, presumably why it's about grand less than every other comparable model. My eyes are old and poo poo and pretty much run in 1920x1080 natively anyway so it's no skin off my nose.

And yeah I just want to run decent graphics levels and every 17inch+ I can find here with 32gb + 4080 costs quite literally twice as much, or almost twice as much but with a much worse CPU.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I unfortunately have niche requirements. I could compromise down a little but for the actually available options it's either 17.3 or 15.6 and 15.6 is just way too small.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Thanks everyone! I've been running on an 17-6700HQ/16gb/Laptop 1060 build for about five years now and all the issues I'm running into are CPU limitations and parts fatigue. I don't play many shooters and such but I love playing poorly optimised simulation games, so CPU is very important and I can pick up and install a few extra gigs of ram for not much. I mainly just want to make sure the 4060 is still considered mid-range rather than mid-low and that nobody had anything terrible to say about the 7945HX.

buffbus posted:

17" laptops can be really nice for an only computer which is mostly used at a desk or countertop. Might be a good time to grab a Dell XPS 17 on clearance before the new models are out. Those new ones look awful, like they weren't paying attention to Apple's mistakes with laptops 4-8 years ago.
Basically for various reasons I don't have a permanent desk I can just leave my leisure computer at 24/7, but I have a variety of spots around the house I can set up for a few hours at a time and then put things away. So yeah it's less of a laptop and more of a portable clamshell desktop.

I mean I suppose I could shove a beefy home build in a closet and stream to a beater 17 inch... nah, maybe next time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

VorpalFish posted:

16 zen4 cores with full L3 probably beats anything else out there for stuff that scales with core count, yeah.

Did they they find a way to mitigate the fabric / io idle power draw for these? I assume they must have or they'd get like an hour of battery life.
I was seeing posts elsewhere specifically calling out the non-peak power draw as crazy low. I was also reading it was apparently a bit more sluggish than the raw numbers would indicate for some reason I forget but still extremely good.

Honestly my big :thunk: is why I'm getting all this in a non-refurbished Asus ROG from a reputable retailer for under 1,900 (trust me, that's cheap in Ireland). I'm desperately hunting for the other shoe.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

VorpalFish posted:

Looked it up and it's.... real bad. Better than the desktop skus but... Still real bad.

I guess they assume people buying DTRs don't care about battery life and.. honestly fair enough.
Oh yeah, i meant crazy low for what it is.

Lockback posted:

That's a v. good deal for EU but not crazy. The 4060 is getting long in the tooth and while I don't think there's a fire sale I do think certain retailers are looking to start thinning down existing inventory.
Makes sense. The reason I'm getting serious about a replacementid because the generated interpolation stuff they're touting for the next gen is giving me "paying extra for things I actively don't want" vibes. I'd pay another 1.5k easy for a comparable model with a 4080 in it. Trigger away!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MeruFM posted:

Whats the consensus on pre-installed software on laptops these days? Uninstall everything and let windows handle it? Keep some stuff?
Full reformat and rebuild. I'm only half-joking.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

isndl posted:

Armory Crate is trash if you actually try to use its features unfortunately. Get G-Helper, it's better in every way.
I told armoury crate to gently caress off for four hours (longest option available) and then turned off my shiny new laptop for the night. Armoury crate turned the laptop back on to update my bios with six noisy reboots at 3:30am. Which is why I'm here, awake and posting mad.

gently caress armoury crate it's getting uninstalled first thing in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Posting from my shiny new Asus laptop and can confirm that there's very little bullshit on it bar Armoury Crate, which is now dead to me.

isndl posted:

Armory Crate is trash if you actually try to use its features unfortunately. Get G-Helper, it's better in every way.

buffbus posted:

100x this. They have made some really nice improvements for the Rog Ally in recent weeks as well.

Mental Hospitality posted:

I am a G-Helper fan. It quietly resides in a tiny little app yet has amazing functionality. Power limits, fan curve tuning, undervolting...it's all there and easy. Or you can not mess with any of that and just utilize the little built in power modes.
Thanks for this!