Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Should I be looking in to Haswell for my next laptop or just get an older used one? I'm looking for something that can run Dota 2 smoothly on medium settings and has a decent screen for watching movies. Besides that I don't need much out of it. I have a job that lets me sit on my laptop for almost all of my shift and then I head home and plug it in to the wall and it sits on my desk. As such portability battery life and durability are all fairly unimportant. I'd be lookin to spend around ~600 if I was getting something new but I'm guessing I could find something for a great deal less used that would fulfill my needs.

Also, there's a monitor at work I can plug in to. Should I possibly look in to building a portable desktop? Is this even a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I do a good bit of traveling and I want a little version of my desktop basically. I'm trying to keep this thing around the $800 dollar mark but the cheaper the better.

Things I want:
Occasional gaming - CPU intensive stuff like Civ and other strategy games
Nice screen - Movies/media and some non-serious photo editing
Durable - I tend to not keep my electronics in pristine condition so something that can take a decent hit or two would be nice
Sturdy keyboard

Things I couldn't give a poo poo about:
Portability/Weight
Battery life
Graphics capabilities - I just want the game to run smoothly, I don't care if I'm playing on the lowest setting
Flashy bullshit extras

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Should I go with http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-E455-20DE001PUS-notebook/dp/B00SCC7F92 or try to snag http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-14-3452-laptop/pd?oc=dncwf009b&model_id=inspiron-14-3452-laptop for $199 during cyber monday?

This is just for the very basics of computing plus maybe some light audio production stuff.