Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Shofixti posted:

I don't understand why it's so hard for laptop OEMs to make laptops of similar quality for similar prices. It seems like it took ages for them to start making some nice looking chassis but there's still usually something wrong with each model like a mushy keyboard, poor trackpad, crappy screen, flimsy body, etc. Are high end ThinkPads the only thing that compete? I guess it looks like that new Zenbook from Asus could fill that space too? (If you haven't already guessed, I'm looking for a good quality laptop this summer that isn't an Apple)

You get what you pay for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
PC laptop manufacturers have effectively ruined themselves by refusing to put quality products on display in big box stores. After a lovely laptop buyer has had enough of either their lovely $500 crapbox or their overpriced Sony they're going to turn to what 'just works' and they'll just buy the Apple instead of ordering online.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
768p is pretty good on 15.6" monitors for people with not so great eyesight which is what the market is planning for and not a bunch of turbonerds

Edit: But as ^^^ said gently caress 16:9 on laptops forever and ever

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Don't waste money on a dedicated GPU in anything less than $1200 worth of laptop

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I imagine you could have some serious problems trying to install XP/drivers on laptops that were squarely never designed with XP in mind.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
My Sager NP150 owns yall

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
If you're married to getting a gaming laptop then go here. There are quite a few of us here with Clevo/Sager laptops that will walk you through the pros/cons

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

NeoSeeker posted:

Yeah I really don't care about having to lower settings or anything. And thinking about it more I guess you're right about it being to heavy and unwieldy. Although I do know about traveling weighed down by stuff, 8 pounds ain't poo poo. But I guess I'll just go with the lenovo Y500 and build a new machine before star citizen comes out.

Being able to take it to school is only one part of the mobility factor. I enjoy the idea of being able to set up basically anywhere instantaneously and be able to start gaming right then and there. You can't take your desktop outside on the patio and set it up every time you want to play outside.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8250-clevo-p157sm-p-5839.html?wconfigure=yes

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Mutation posted:

The Y500 has an SLI 750M now, which seems nice if you can get it for $900-$1000.

But, y'know. It's still an Y500.

The one universal no is SLI laptops

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I'm highly skeptical of 'gaming' laptops that lack any real cooling ability

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

LurkingAsian posted:

So I just ordered a Clevo W230ST from these guys.
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7330-clevo-w230st-p-6163.html

Based on the spec sheet it seems like the perfect mobile gaming laptop. Does anyone here have first hand experience with this model?

I don't have that model but I purchased a Sager NP9150 from Xoticpc almost a year ago and I have not been let down at all.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I was very impressed with the x230t a client wanted to try but man is the convertible thing almost entirely a solution looking for a problem.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

fookolt posted:

That's a drat shame. It's killing me to wait; I think I'm just going to get a MacBook Air and resell it if I need to when the new hot poo poo comes out from Samsung/Asus.

I'm coming up on 1 year of my Clevo/Sager and couldn't be happier

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The T430 can be subjectively horrid but that doesn't stop this thread from recommending them out the wazoo

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

InstantInfidel posted:

It has objective problems, namely the screen quality and the poor GPU choices. However, the build quality, support, and thermals are all excellent, whereas Clevo sucks rear end at pretty much all three of those (the thermals on their massive 680M SLI machines are apparently pretty good, though).

Their thermals on just a regular single dGPU machine are very good.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Frankie! posted:

Lenovo Ideapad Y510 with Sli as a gaming/work laptop. Yea or nay?

Comes out at 1427$

No because SLI'd laptops are bad and you're better off in 99.9999% of all situations going with a single dGPU solution.

There are better ways to do this but is this something you really need?

(Full disclosure: I own a $1700 'gaming' laptop and will attest to its virtues and vices)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Sometimes people just want advice and not lectures on how they are using laptops wrong

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Save yourself thermal headaches and get a single card solution with the power you want and not SLI

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
If it fits your price/size range, a few of us have Sager's and are quite pleased with them. I'm actually working on a one year review post of mine.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
You should literally never buy anything because it will be eclipsed at some point plus you are a terrible person for not doing it my way.

- The Laptop Megathread, 2013

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
As promised, ONE YEAR LATER, the Sager NP9150 from xoticpc.com

Full disclosure:
I own and manage an IT MSP/Consulting firm and have worked in IT for 17 years. My experience and comfort level with computers could be described as "high"

Important Specs:
Intel i7-3610QM
16GB RAM
nVidia 675M
Intel Ultimate-N WiFi Adapter
1920x1080 Matte 95% whizbang display
Seagate XT 500GB Hybrid
Price: $1619

Why I wanted a gaming laptop:
I wanted something with the performance of a desktop replacement for when I need to do VM/video work and I missed PC gaming. While I do have an actual workstation in my office, I am physically there maybe 1/3rd of the week, the rest is spent at client's offices. So, my work needs to go with me. At home I surrendered my office to my wife for storage room, and because I am a well-adjusted and redeemable individual, I don't want to be squirreled away in another room away from my family. So its the living room while the kids play Xbox or in bed while my wife sleeps.

Why I went with a Sager from xoticpc.com:
I spent about 3 months reviewing the options and the Sager was the only one that gave me the performance I wanted with the aesthetics. Flat black all the way around except the monitor bezel, no labeling and no stupid lights. The nVidia 675M is more than capable of playing the games I wanted at the time(Skyrim/Mass Effect 3) and still runs Planetside 2 like a champ.

Problems:
1. About 3 weeks in the monitor began to appear 'scrambled' when tilted at certain angles. I diagnosed this as a problem with the cable routing through the right hinge, disassembled the laptop down to that level, re-ran the cable and voila, the problem is fixed.
2. 6 months in the interal headphone jack broke stopped working. I didn't think the audio quality was that stellar to begin with so I ordered a Turtle Beach Amigo II USB Adapter and wow. The quality is about a million times better and I don't think I'll ever use integrated audio for headphones on any laptop again.

How it travels:
The laptop rides in a Case Logic sleeve inside my messenger bag with power brick, mouse and other assorted items. No, I don't find the weight bothersome.

Wear and Breakage:
No chips, no cracks, no breaks. I have worn the finish off the palmrest a bit when using it as a makeshift mousepad though.

What I think of the features:
- Screen: Amazing. Probably the best non-Retina display I've run into. I recommend to anyone that will listen that you purchase screen upgrades because nothing will make you hate a laptop more than a bad screen. All the performance and warranty service in the world won't matter if they have to stare at something they hate.
- Keyboard and Trackpad: Meh. At this point I type on so many different keyboards I don't care. I also rarely use the trackpad as I carry a mouse. The trackpad is 'servicable', which is how I'd describe any non-Apple trackpad. In my opinion there are two tiers, Apple and the rest. This is not an Apple.
- WiFi: Never not getting the upgraded WiFi again. It continually amazes me how far this thing can reach.
- Fit and Finish: Good. It isn't a mid-2000s ThinkPad, but neither are new ThinkPads now. It definitely isn't $399 Acer quality. It 'feels', to me atleast, better than a Latitude E65xx
- Thermal design: Two bottom mounted fans, left and right blowing through pretty beefy heatsinks that exhaust out the back. Fan placement means you need a solid surface for heavy gaming/processor work otherwise you'll have no air flow. Cleaning is pretty simple. 6 screws to remove the bottom panel, 4 to remove each heat sink assembly. Blow it out, clean up the thermal paste/reapply and reassemble. I've done this twice since we have a cat just as a precaution. The fans will get loud at max RPM but it does work. You will not burn yourself on either the bottom or the keyboard and there will only be noticeable warmth after heavy usage.

Complaints:
3 USB ports, 2 on the left, 1 on the right. I wish there was one rear mounted USB port. Also, I'd prefer a rear mounted NIC(it is on the left).

Would I do this again:
Yes, I would. Infact, I'll probably replace this August 2014. I do not have trouble recommending this laptop to anyone with similar usage criteria and have done so in the thread repeatedly.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

I'm sure you think your little quip is extremely witty but it isn't, especially since it's completely valid to recommend against buying a laptop right now since Haswell is still being rolled out.

Try again some other time.

This isn't about Haswell. Its about the same people parroting the same disingenuous bullshit because occasionally people want different laptops than they do.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

be nice wicka posted:

Does anyone want to take a stab at explaining this keyboard layout: http://i.imgur.com/HXB49A2.jpg

I was on the verge of buying the drat thing until I saw this picture. They've inexplicably swapped " with @, among other bizarre choices. What's going on here?

UK keyboard

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

be nice wicka posted:

Do you think that model (S400CA-DB51T) only comes with a UK keyboard or is that just the one they happened to take the promo shots of?

Looks like they were just lazy with the promo shots. Asus's US website takes you to Amazon with the S400CA-DB51T selected. The UK model looks to be S400CA-CA***H

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

Im actually thinking of getting this model: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312834

With the dual SLI graphics card. It is priced at $70 more than the exact same specs on Lenovo's website with the single card (and $150 cheaper than the same config without the added SSD cache), is readily available for shipping right now, and the dual card while not universally useful can simply be swapped out to do the SSD+1tb caddy thing. 70 bucks to have the option of a second GPU on hand isn't a bad deal, especially when there is a 3 week wait otherwise. Am I missing some difference in specs from the $969.00 model on Lenovo's site here: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/

Edit: Which SDD available on newegg should I get to replace the 1tb? 250gb is prob. enough

With only a few well-engineered exceptions, SLI laptops have severe thermal issues, so much that your laptop will be forced to throttle down.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
If youre going to use a laptop for more than 5 minutes just buy a loving mouse

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Requested_Username posted:

So I'm looking to buy a new laptop, and I was hoping to get a recommendation from the thread. I want something high end, with good gaming capabilities. Obviously I don't need it to run Metro: Last Light on super ultra 16x AA setting, but something that can play recent games and make them look good. Price range is up to $2000, give or take a couple hundred depending on if it's really worth the extra money.

Entry level 'gaming' laptop seems to be the Lenovo Y410P/510P. Past that you are looking at Alienware/Sager/Asus/MSI/Razer. What you need to figure out is just what size screen and how much performance you really want, and we can make recommendations.

FYI, here is my post I made earlier this month concerning my Sager NP9150

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 30, 2013

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

17' screens seem like overkill to me, 15' seems like it'd be solid, give or take. I'd rather not get something that weighs 12 lbs and is covered in s1ck LED enhancement lights for optical gaming refraction or whatever. Colored keyboard illumination is fine of course. in terms of power it's really as much as I can get for up to $2k without being a complete and total rip off.

The Sager NP8265 is probably as 'normal' looking as you will get in a 15.6" gaming laptop. Also, do not go with AMD graphics.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Blurb posted:

Seems to me bang for buck this is probably the best off the shelf mid priced gaming laptop around at the moment too. Placing an order tonight.

* spelling *

I cannot recommend enough that you get the upgraded screen and Intel wireless.

I'm a little new to xoticPC, does the "No Operating System Standard - Drivers (Windows 7 & 8) + Utility Software Only" option mean that I need to install my own OS on it when it arrives?

e: also, is RAID storage worth it and if so, should I use RAID-0 or RAID-1?

Correct. Choose that option if you can provide your own license. IMO RAID is not needed.

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 31, 2013

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
If you havent ignored sports at this point I don't know what to tell you

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I can't wait for their 10 inch tablet collaboration with Amazon, the Yoga Fire.

And the 7" variant, the Yoga Flame

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

DNova posted:

I hope the label on the drive is just black text on white, "HARD DRIVE"

DRIVE, HARD
MARK 1
DO NOT EAT

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I really want to watch you goofy shits constantly trying to use touchscreens on a non-convertible laptop just so I can get a good laugh.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Seriously, we know. Lenovo makes a great laptop but everything else about the process is poo poo.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Welp, trusting the Lenovo shipping lottery. Ordered a Y410p for my son.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The worst part about the touchscreen based UI is just how much of your already precious real estate is getting wasted

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Welp, screen or connector is borked on my son's Y410p. Guess we'll see how good(bad) Lenovo's depot service is.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

but nVidia bile drivers are frustratingly horrible and cause issues.

Fwiw in a year and half of ownership I haven't had a single issue with my 675m. GPUs really are voodoo.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Jesus Christ install Windows 7 if you want because some trivial improvements are not worth you not enjoying your computing experience, nerd rage be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Ironically my Lenovo(non-Think) support experience was pretty nice