Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Flipperwaldt posted:

By normal I mean non-ultrabook. That implies some thickness nearing an inch, inch and a half, room in the case for spacing out the individual elements a bit (aka 15"-17" laptop), air holes, poo poo like that. Like a normal laptop has, but an ultrabook doesn't.
I make a specific point about a very small subset of laptop processors (i7 quad core). I am not directly talking about how hot the laptop feels to the touch and I'm definitely not talking about that "in general". The reason my E540 can cool itself enough that I can keep it on my lap is because the CPU throttles. I have not seen nor heard of any other laptop containing a haswell quad core i7 that never has to throttle when maxed out. If you can give me an example of one, I'd be honestly glad to hear about it. Or not, because it'll probably sound like it's going to take off. There's a lot of heat that needs to be dissipated, and between not throttling and less fan noise, manufacturers will pick the thing a user probably won't notice or complain about.

Most laptops are capable of cooling themselves and, hell, probably do it without throttling, but that's because they don't have that idiotic quad core i7. Which was my whole goddamn point.

A non-budget gaming laptop can do this it no prob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I'm on year 2+ of my Sager and continue to recommend it in this thread

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

knee contusion posted:

Is there a gaming laptop specific topic here? If not, can someone make some recommendations on the best gaming specific for approx. $1500?

If you feel comfortable installing migrating to and installing a solid state drive on your own you can save quite a bit over having a manufacturer install one.

For your interest, check out Clevo/Sager at xoticpc.com

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Is there a ~$400 laptop that will play Dragon Age: Inquisition at high? I'd also like to emulate PSP and PS2 games.

I already have a Yoga 2 Pro (with integrated graphics) so I literally have no other needs than gaming. Maybe it makes more sense to delve into the used market for this sort of thing instead.

What you want doesn't exist

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Just a reminder to folks with 'gaming laptops' and pets that you should periodically clean all the loving fur out of your fans and vents.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
A used Thinkpad.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
There is always hope. The question is, what is your price range?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I'm two and a half years into my Sager/Clevo NP9150 and it was worth every bit of the nearly $1700 I paid

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

MikeJF posted:

So how's that whole 'ultrabook with an external graphics card for gaming' concept they keep promising us is about to be viable coming along?

Its right behind cold fusion on the list of 'Things about to happen!'

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The 860m will definitely be the first bottleneck

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
put your laptop on a rigid surface, something as simple as a book or cutting board

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

MonkeyFit posted:

I read the OP and realize I'm going to catch a lot of flak for this, but I'm looking for a gaming laptop. I work on a submarine that's going on deployment and there's no space for a desktop, but I want to be able to play games in my downtime while underway. Space is not at such a premium that I'm looking for the tiniest gaming laptop I can find, it just means I'm forced to go with a laptop in the first place. I haven't looked at laptop technology in over 10 years, as I have been happy with building my own desktops and haven't had a need for a laptop in...ever. I'm looking to spend around $2K, but I have no idea who has quality, powerful machines for around that price point, or anything I should be looking at in particular.

TL;DR: Work on a submarine, want gaming laptop because space.

Looking for:
  • Around $2,000
  • Powerful
  • Build quality
  • <2" in thickness to fit in the rack

xoticpc.com

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
There are laptops available that you can upgrade the CPU/GPU(I am posting from one!) but you're better off planning for a 3-4 year replacement cycle than spending buncha $$$s to eek out a few more FPS.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Haha soz not loving paying that much for a keyboard

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

sarehu posted:

IPS is indispensible for productivity?

its indispensable if you value your eyesight

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

I know it's trendy to be too good for TN, but I'm going to play devils advocate and suggest that on productivity laptops that aren't doing graphical content creation, IPS is a luxury and not a necessity. Panel quality is more important for watching movies or looking at photos than it is getting work done. TN panels don't have to be bad either, the Macbook Air still uses a TN panel and it gets recommended around here like crazy.

Edit: Am I missing something? Can someone explain to me how TN panels hurt your eyes? Have you guys just tried turning down the brightness?

LIght weight is a luxury. A good panel is a necessity.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I stream from my Sager to my Surface Pro 3

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
confirming that Clevo/Sager cooling solutions are baller as gently caress

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

BurritoJustice posted:

So my XPS 13 arrived and it is lovely, but I am having a minor issue. If I set games to run at lower resolutions than 1800p (which is basically necessary), the resolution doesn't scale to fit the screen and instead it just sits in the middle with black all around. Ideally, I'd like to run games at 900p because of how it nicely pixel doubles, but I cannot figure out how to get this to work on the integrated graphics. The Intel control panel has a scaling option but I cannot selection anything other than no scaling, whereas I would like to be able to use panel fit. Any clues?

welcome to the world of problems with high resolutions and games

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

surc posted:

Sager/XoticPC stuff

I'm almost at year 3 on mine. It cost a shitload but has totally been worth it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

marjorie posted:

So would you guys say that this is the go-to, money-is-no-object gaming laptop? I'm especially wondering if the display is great (the non-4k version), and assuming that performance is maxed out at the expense of form (well, size) and battery life.

Pretty much. The only downside is support. Since I'm an IT guy I have no qualms about working on my Sager myself, but for my son we got him a Lenovo Y410 with in home support since he's at college and I can't exactly service that easily. If you get a Sager or the like, also get cans of compressed air, a tube of NT-H1 and familiarize yourself with dis-assembly, cleaning the gently caress off heat sinks and fans, re-pasting and reassembling every 6 months or so, ESPECIALLY if you are a pet owner.

Here's my 1 year review on my Sager http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651&userid=107441#post418493337

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

sarehu posted:

Awful customer service, price changes after you place the order, shipping laptops with obvious stuck pixels in the middle of the screen that you'll RMA anyway that a technician calibrating the display and benchmarking the system mysteriously never saw, months-long delays, yadda yadda yadda.

this is like the exact opposite of my experience

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

DNK posted:

Desktops are awesome and incredible cheap -- $500 can get you a machine (minus peripherals) that will run all current games and next years games on ultra/high with ease.

No it won't.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
the chicklet style of keyboard is terribad but thats the way the world is going kinda like 16:9 screens so whatevs

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
1316 days. Thats how long my Sager NP9150 lasted. RIP you glorious way to spend $1619.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

ehhhh 3.5 years isn't that awful.

better than the 8 months or so I get out of each ideapad replacement

oh definitely not bad at all considering how much time it spend at 90' C and above. was hoping to make it to the next gpu refresh but the 675m just couldn't take any more.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
When you've got millions in old equipment that will keep running as long as it is maintained then splurging for a laptop with a serial port is not really out of the question.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Sager NP8657 is here, it owns. Farewell brave NP9150, you did me proud. An actual detailed effort post to follow in a few days.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
you either bought poo poo non-Thinkpad Lenovos or you're a giant retard with electronics and don't take care of them so it doesn't matter either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Klawr Kat posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get an alienware 17 980m with an SSD, but does anyone know here have experience with Xotic PC? They look like my best bet for getting exactly what I want for just under 2k, but the wide range of reviews makes me leery. Should I just look to chains to provide me with what I'm looking for?

Just got my second laptop from XoticPC, I highly recommend them.