Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Somebody's throwing a lot of money somewhere to make the Win 8 Tablet the thing of the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think RVProfootballer was saying that HDD with SSD Cache meets Intel's requirements.

According to that Wikipedia article, the actual requirement is a minimum of 80 MB/s transfer rate.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Checking in to say the Y500 trackpad is truly abysmal, but I love everything else about the computer.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
7 years ago I got a Dell XPS M1210 which had the most amazing touchpad I've ever used, I was even able to play FPS on it, but for some reason the quality of touchpads has gone down since then.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
And XP goes out of support, like, any minute now?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
They're doing it for CPUs and integrated graphics because businesses are still on XP and that's what they're using. Hell, there are recent Intel Gigabit NICs with Win 2k drivers (don't ask my why I know this :smith:)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

johnny sack posted:

Awesome thanks, I didn't see that.

edit: that being said, there is some significant money to be saved in energy costs by using a desktop replacement, goddamn.

You're desktop isn't constantly pulling 500W, FYI.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think johnny sack is in Minnesota, and it gets hot as gently caress here, but electricity isn't that expensive, like half what you pay in California.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My mom wants a laptop with a numberpad because her current laptop without one is driving her crazy. Other than the numberpad she doesn't need too much power, but I'm worried about a 1080p screen being too small for her to read. Are there any 900p 15" laptops with numberpads? All I can see between Dell and Lenovo is either 720p or 1080p.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got a Latitude E6430 with the quad core i7. It's everything you'd expect out of a quad core mobile CPU, the fan blows out a ton of hot air, it's not super light, and the battery is good for maybe 3-4 hours. Mine's also doing something where the GPU crashes the comptuer sometimes, but I'm not sure if it's a fault of the model or just mine.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got the Y500 and while it's certainly not a tank, it doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart in my hands.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If the i7 has QM at the end of it's model number it's quad core, if it's just M it's dual core.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

a_m_a_t posted:

I'm curious about this because I'm looking to upgrade my old laptop with something that can play games half-decently and was looking at an IdeaPad Y500 or Y510p because it seemed to fit what I want pretty well.

I read a bunch of reviews and they said the build quality was satisfactory to good, so I'm wondering why this forum seems to hate them.

(I'm upgrading from an garbage MSI CX600 - now that is bad build quality)

I've got a Y500, and while I wouldn't throw it in my bag for my trip through the Himalayas, it's doesn't disintegrate in my hand either. I've got no problem grabbing it by a corner etc etc. The touchpad is atrocious however. And it has a number pad, which is a fairly divisive issue.

InstantInfidel posted:

They're also bigger, shinier, flashier, and generally foolproof contraceptives.

A friend of mine has an M11x and gets laid all the time, but I suspect that's because he hides his laptop when girls are over.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Anyone know if the "VAIO Pro 11 Custom Touch Ultrabook" is any good? Is there something that is equiavlent that isn't Sony? A professor loves Sony and wants to get one, but I know what a pain the driver situation is, and he likes to give his laptops to his wife and she does a lot of "shopping" and they keep getting viruses, so something we could easily flatten would be great.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I really want to wait for an i5 Haswell for a laptop for my mom, but they're just soooo far away. Any word on when they're coming, or at least something more than "Q3 2013?"

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Intel sure is dropping the ball on hitting what I think would be a pretty large back to school market. Or they're trying to burn through Ivy Bridge inventory before releasing the lower end Haswells.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well 4 physical cores, 8 virtual cores.

Isn't their a Haswell W series yet?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Are there any benchmarks for these Haswell 4xxxU chips? Since they're all U, unless they're quad core, I'm guessing Intel is saying that Ultra low power is ready for the mainstream?

I'm trying to configure a couple new laptops at work and wondering if the Haswell in the 3000 or 7000 latitude will be enough for a daily driver, or if I should jump backward to the 3rd gen chips (since these things spend most of the day in a dock anyway).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Those don't look... great to me. I guess the changes are all in energy consumption rather than performance, but those chips are raking around Sandy Bridge, not even Ivy Bridge.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GrizzlyCow posted:

You do realize you're comparing an "Ultra Low Voltage" (-U) chip with plain "Low Voltage" (-M) chips, right? The fact that Haswell can match Sandy Bridge's 35W mobile processors with its 15W processors while also offering better performing Integrated Graphics seems pretty impressive to me.

Ultra Low Voltage is all Intel is offering in the mobile space, other than quad core. So I don't have anything else to compare to. What do I do if I want a laptop with an i5 chip that I feel comfortable with them using as their daily work machine for the next 3 years? Hopefully the 28W will give some better performance. I don't want to have to give my staff Ivy Bridge because that's what has the power they need.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well they've got 27W i5s, I think it's mostly a branding change it that they're saying everything they make is Ultra Lower Power now.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

bull3964 posted:

What about Dell's Latitude 14 7000 series.
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-e7440-ultrabook/pd

14" ultrabook, optional touch screen, docking connector and haswell.

Something with a docking station is the correct answer here. Get a Dell that supports the E-series docking station (so either Latitude Exxxx or Latitude 7000 series) then get the docking station and plug everything into that. Just a single button press to take the laptop off the dock, no need to bother with plugging and unplugging so many cords each time.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

CapnBry posted:

The Dell Inspirion 7000 models are now available on Dell's site. Specifically, I am considering the Inspiron 14 7000. I would prefer a Thinkpad T440s but I want to have a new laptop before a big business trip in November. I also would prefer a 37W/47W CPU but what the hell, I can't wait forever.

Does anyone have the repair manual for the Inspiron 14 7000 (7437)? I'd specifically like to know if the memory is soldered on, and if an MSATA SSD can be added in addition to the rotational drive. I'm a developer and I have a hundred++ gigs of virtual machines I carry around ('cloud' generally isn't an option when I'm on the road) so I need a decent amount of slow storage in addition to fast.

Ugh, the Inspiron 15 7000 looked perfect for my mom until the poo poo screen resolution.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Seamonster posted:

New Inspiron (read: NOT Latitude) 7000 series is up on Dell's website. No whereabouts for the 14 inch version though. 15 incher looks good, though on the heavy side at over 5.5 lbs and rather average 58wHr battery. Low-ish base price (likely less with coupons) but if we can get a decent FHD panel, the 750M dGPU and maybe some SSD action for under a grand...paying more for the XPS 15 haswell refresh is going to be harder to justify.

I see the 14 incher when I go to Dell.com. Waiting for the 15 incher to have the 1080p screen, then pulling the trigger on that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

DrDork posted:

Might be waiting a bit--the 15" on there right now only has the 1336x768 screen as an option (seriously?).

None. You get a HD4400.

My mom desperatly needs a new laptop, and she wants it to have a numberpad and cost under $1000, and I want it to have Haswell and not 720p. Hopefully there's some movement on that front from some vendor soon.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I doubt it's changed much between the yX00p and the yX10p series, and my y500p is't very obnoxious. The speaker grills are a very very dark red, so basically black. The backlight is red, and I don't know if there's a way to turn it off. It's really not garish it all, it's just red instead of another color. When the lid is closed there's no red visible and it's just a nice looking black laptop.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Since the second graphics card is in the Ultrabay spot, worst come worst you can buy the SLI model and take the second card out and throw it in the trash, if for some reason that's cheaper than getting the non-SLI model from Lenovo or you need it right now.

Also gonna add that I'm still in love with my Y500.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The Asus x202e is a great little machine. It'd be nice if it got refreshed for Haswell but as is it's plenty powerful for a daily driver for "normal usage," is light, gets pretty good battery life, and has a pretty nice style.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

10 Beers posted:

Goofing around in Best Buy and came across this:
http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=1836027&pid=1219065630762&pcatId=abcat0502000

Is this a pretty good price for what it is, or could I do better for my money?

Hmmm, this looks pretty interesting. I was looking at a Dell Inspiron 17 for my mom, but it still had a dedicated GPU, which she doesn't need. This looks like it should fit the bill perfectly, doesn't seem to be any glaring problems, other than it's not a Thinkpad.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Anybody have thoughts on a good USB CD rom? I bought one from NewEgg once upon a time and it died pretty quickly so I'd like a recomendation from somebody who's used one.

I guess my mom wants to rip a bunch of CDs in iTunes but I'm getting her a laptop without a drive, so she'll be needing one.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Don't all laptops have to be in carry-ons, so you'd have to carry that 18" monster onto the plane, along with your work laptop and iPad?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got a Lenovo Y500, and I'm ready to make the jump to SSD, and also to replace my DVD drive with the 1TB HDD the machine shipped with. The "official" caddy from Lenovo is $115, but there are plenty knock offs online for ~$20. Has anyone used any of these and know which ones work and which don't?
E: This one seems like the best bet, because it uses the plastic around the old ODD to blend in with the laptop, a problem which no other sites seem to acknowledge http://hddcaddy.com/en/lenovo-ibm-hdd-caddy/143-lenovo-ideapad-y500-hdd-caddy.html

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So, it looks like the Y50 is well regarded here? I got a Y500 22 months ago and I love it, except the screen doesn't work anymore.

For a few months when I'd close the lid the screen would flicker, indicating to me a bad connection. Finally it just stopped showing anything period (it looked all black but the backlight was still on), though if I plugged the laptop into VGA it was just fine. So I tore it apart to see if anything was loose, put it back together and now the screen was all white (but still worked connected to VGA). So I got a new cable (LVDS cable) to connect the screen to the system board, put that in, screen still white. I did some Googling and it may indicate the System Board is bad, at which point I think it's time to replace (I can find some use for the y500 since it works just fine other than the screen).

So things I like about my y500:
  • 15" 1080p screen
  • Non-ultrabook CPU
  • Mid range graphics card

Some small part of me is buttmad that the thing may be expensively broken after only 22 months and makes me want to not get a Lenovo, but I'm guessing that's just irrational and nobody else really makes anything equivalent, right?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Where's the cheapest place to buy a Y50? The models all look basically identical, it's hard for me to tell them apart, but the ones directly from Lenovo seem cheapest.

I've already got an SSD so I don't care about the storage, I'm guessing there's no difference in the 2GB Video card vs the 4 GB video card, and an external DVD burner would be nice but not really necessary.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Sir Pukesalot posted:

I was going to ask the same question as Jimmy Little Balls. My Y50 handles everything at high-ultra, so have you tried to right-click your desktop, going into the nVidia control panel and selecting "high performance NVIDIA processor" for 3D and "geforce GTX 860M" for PhysX?

Edit: I forgot about nVidia control panel...

Does the Y50 do the Optimus thing, and if so is that still terrible? I had a powerful Dell Laptop with Optimus previously but it would often fail to run things on the Nvidia GPU or games would crash as the system switched between the two in the middle of the game. My favorite feature of the Y500 was that it didn't have Optimus so I had full performance all the time.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Someone tell me it's not worth it to spend $200 to upgrade the Y50 to 16GB of memory and the 4GB graphics card.

Also, does anyone know if it has an mSATA or m.2 slot? The specs say it has an 8GB cache SSD but I can't find any info on that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Flipperwaldt posted:

It does not.

Ah, now I see it, it's a Hybrid SSHD , that's where the cache is.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
if 1080p at that screen size looks good, scaling to 2x with 2160p should look exactly the same, right?

Also kind of bummed because I just got my Y50 from Lenovo today, I paid $889 or something (with the B&N store) but I would have gladly paid an extra $100 to get that Amazon model.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
17" screen is huge so just make sure you know what that means, but the Y70 would fit that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So my mom needs a new laptop. She wants one big enough to have a numberpad (because she's an accountant and wants a numberpad). She doesn't do anything too demanding so whatever she gets would hopefully be durable enough to last for a while.

So Is a Thinkpad T560 a bad idea? Is there a better idea?