Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Fuschia tude posted:

Is she opposed to adding a USB numberpad? That would open up your possibilities.

She used to have one of those, and was much happier when she got a computer that had a built in number-pad. Is there a reason to open up possibilities? Is there some problem with a T560?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I guess I should have looked a little closer at other companies, the Dell Latitude 15" laptops have numberpads as well. Also look to be quite a bit cheaper than the T560 model. We get probably a few thousand of the various Latitudes at work every year so I'd feel pretty confident with one of those too.

She's not the type to take her laptop anywhere so it doesn't matter if it's big, it just has to go from the couch to her lap every once and a while when she uses it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Similair question to above:
A while ago I bought my wife this: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-11-Inch-Q200E-Laptop-VERSION/dp/B00BKRMMUS for $500 at Best Buy

It's now giving up the ghost, and I'd like something approximately equivalent. Since it's died rather suddenly finding a replacement is rather urgent, so I don't really have time to dig through outlet deals etc etc. So something I can walk into a Best Buy and pickup or get it shipped with Prime shipping would be good. The Amazon suggestion as the "replacement" for that is a transformer book, is that a terrible idea? Or something else by Asus? I don't know, what's going on in that space?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I'm back to really needing to replace my wife's computer, the Q200E with a i3-3217U. It looks like the CPUs in 11.6" computers aren't as powerful as that CPU is, so I'm just trying to figure out what the landscape looks like for these ultra low power chips.

She's not doing anything too intense so she was probably never really taxing her i3, so what's the deal with these M3 chips? Would they be usable for light browsing and document editing? She's basically just going to be writing her PhD thesis on it so as long as it runs word serviceably she'll be fine.

So few vendors seem to be even making stuff in the 11.6 size, is everybody using tablets or something at that size? All of these 2-in-1s and computers with detachable screens seem like gimmicks to me. Then again the touch screen on the Q200e seemed like a gimmick at the time and my wife uses it all the time now so who knows.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

yomisei posted:

Asus MB169C+, been using the MB168+ Type-A one for quite a while.

Lenovo recently announcted its M14 USB-C monitor, but that's a while off.

Oh jeez, I can get 1080p with USBA for less than $200 a pop? poo poo that's tempting.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there going to be any appreciable difference between an i5-8350u and i5-8365u? Looking at replacing my work laptop and deciding between the Latitude 7390/7490 and 7300/7400, they're both 8th gen CPUs and the price is even pretty equivalent, but comparing the specs of the two chips even on Intel's site they look basically identical.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Lockback posted:

Do you have a microcenter near you?
https://www.microcenter.com/product/637182/lenovo-legion-5-15-156-gaming-laptop-computer-platinum-collection-blue

Would be a bit faster and still quite nice.

The 3060 is a pretty great GPU. I wouldn't feel like you'll be in bad shape from it for the life of a consumer laptop.

Anybody know what would happen if you plug something like this (that only has USB 3.2) into a Thunderbolt 3 dock?

I've got a very nice Dell Thunderbolt3 dock at home that drives 3 monitors on my Thunderbolt3 laptop, and I'm considering replacing my nearly-7-year-old Lenovo Y50 with that Legion 5. Mostly I'll be sitting on a couch with it, but I might occasionally want to sit at my desk and plug in. I know my TB dock won't power the laptop, but I'm curious how it will handle the 3 monitors that are there already.

Lockback posted:

All 3060 have 8GN of VRAM. They copied the description from the 2060, I'd guess. You're fine.

You sure about this? The specs for the 3060 on notebookcheck list it as 6GB, and I looked at the first 3 models in their list of laptops that include the 3060, and all of them say 6GB of VRAM, not 8.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Good to know, it looks like my Dock (Dell WD19TB) might actually support backwards compatibility with USB. Worst case if I ever really want to use all the monitors I can get some adapters to plug in directly or get a different USB-C dock. But I probably shouldn't have too much fun in my designated WFH office anyway!

Also to be clear, by "nothing" I'm assuming the interfaces are smart enough to know they're not compatible? Or is the dock going to try and stuff 130W of power into the USB port and fry my new device?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I picked up that Microcenter Legion 5 yesterday, and I just gotta say, holy crap is that a giant power supply. First power supply that takes a standard desktop power cord that I've seen. 300 watts! No idea if the computer ever comes close to needing all that power, but holy crap.