Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007
"...And if you wondered what Time sounded like it sounded like water running in a dark cave and voices crying and dirt dropping down upon hollow box lids, and rain."
I've been reading this thread for the last week, and I'm planning on getting a new laptop to replace my 2007 macbook. I know that Haswell has just arrived, but I'm not convinced that getting a Haswell suits my needs, especially since my laptop will serve more as a mobile desktop. Also, it seems like Haswell will not drive current prices down, and I want a laptop with dedicated graphics.

I'm currently undecided between a Thinkpad T-430S for about $800, or a customized HP Envy dv6t with an i5 3210m, 6GB ddr3, 750gb 7200rpm hard drive and 650m 2gb gddr5 with a 1080p screen for $750. There are a few games that I want to play, such as Skyrim, and this is why I'm leaning towards a consumer grade laptop than a Thinkpad.

I have been out of the market for laptops for quite some time, and want my next laptop to last as long as my macbook has (5-6 years). However, InstantInfidel's constant derision of consumer grade laptops makes me wary, especially since there is a lack of laptop reviews 6 months to a year down the road. What should I do? Will prices drop any further? Am I making a bad decision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007
"...And if you wondered what Time sounded like it sounded like water running in a dark cave and voices crying and dirt dropping down upon hollow box lids, and rain."

InstantInfidel posted:

GT3e (aka HD5200) is on par with the 650M you're looking at and will hands-down beat any card that you can get in a Thinkpad at the moment (one, the K2000M, comes close). If you wait and get a large ultrabook or small regular laptop with the quad-core i7 that comes with the HD5200 GPU, you'll get better battery life and you'll pay less money for equivalent GPU performance. It's in your best interests to wait. Never count on price drops, assume that today's price +/- 5% is what you'll pay regardless of when you order.

Also is my anger towards consumer laptops really that constant? :saddowns:

From the benchmarks at Anandtech, the HD5200 performs as well as the 640m, while the 650m performs either slightly or much better, depending on the game. Also, the dv6t I've configured has is 1080p while the 430s Thinkpad is 720p, so having to configure the Thinkpad for 1080p would probably result in it being more than $800, which is the limit for what I want to spend.

What I'm worried about is getting a laptop that falls apart or breaks down in the first few months, and I find it so strange that an otherwise great laptop (in regards to specs) might be uncomfortably hot, too loud when under a full load, or just feel as if it's made of tupperware--and this is what I've been reading in the OP of this thread as well as your posts, and I trust SA more on this than the cursory reviews I find everywhere else. I'll take your advice and stick around for Haswell to become the standard.