Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Validate my purchasing decisions SH/SC.

I was back in the USA for 2 weeks and while I was there I decided to pick up computers because American consumer spending really does drive the economy unlike every other country I've lived in, and that's quite a few, making things unbelievably cheap

I already built a decent desktop (Anniversary pentium, GTX 960, 8GB memory) ... in fact I don't want to leave it on all the time because of electric bills and I have a crappy 600kb/sec down DSL connection, eliminating most of its utility as a server.
I also have a decent i5 work computer, but it only has a single video output; so I can't use dual monitors, which is something I'd really like because I use Indesign a lot for my job.
I also have an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 5. Last summer I did buy a Macbook Air, but I didn't like the low resolution of the screen, so I sold it to a goon.
I'm also playing around with Raspberry Pis for various maker things.

There are a few things I want to get into:
CCNA/CCNP certification, Freenas, Plex, Owncloud, Kodi, virtualboxes, and maybe some home automation stuff.

Last week Office Depot had the Acer CB3-111-C670 (n2830, 2gb of ram) Chromebook for $129.99, plus tax and while Target had it for cheaper a month or so ago, Chromebooks and Chromeboxes are impossible to find in Korea, Japan, and Taiwan, let alone at that price, so I grabbed it.
I bought it without checking how hard ubuntu would be to put on it. Looks like I've got to put the OS on an external USB, and I can't switch between ChromeOS and full linux, so that kinda sucks as I've really come to like Chrome. Is there a website out there that will realistically describe using a chromebook as a server, or perhaps I just need a guide to make it the best chromebook it'll ever be.

Then Monday morning I was checking the deals sites and I came across a thread saying that Staples had a $100 off clearance PCs, so I went looking at the inventory at the local store and decided on a display model Toshiba S55-B5280 for $330 after tax, and I'm told I can get an additional $50 rebate on it as well.
http://www.staples.com/Toshiba-Satellite-S55-B5280-156-Laptop-12GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-Intel/product_1064938
This isn't for gaming or for traveling, although I wish it had a dedicated card, but for the price I'm not too concerned. The screen is very budgety too (15.6 inch and only 13xx x 7xx). It's either going to sit next to my work PC, with another monitor attached maybe, or at home on a shelf doing it's sever job.

Intel Core i7-4510U processor
12GB DDR3L memory (I think this is 4+8, so I may be able to put another 8 in down the road)
1TB 5400RPM Serial ATA Hard Disk Drive
I figure the memory and hard drive are worth about ~$80 if I were upgrading one of the cheaper pcs

The question I should have asked before I bought is, how good is that processor?
I chose that model because it was an i7, had a lot of memory, and a decent hard drive.

Did I get decent deal(s)?

politicorific fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Those chinese macbook air clones keep getting better:

If I were looking for a beater laptop I'd be pretty happy about this, and I'd definitely consider one over a chromebook in the $250 price range. I can't wait to see what these look like with the new Gemini Lake Celeron Atom Pentium Silver chips.

Looks like this or a Xiaomi Air will be my future PC

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Those chinese macbook air clones keep getting better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVOo9weCkOo

If I were looking for a beater laptop I'd be pretty happy about this, and I'd definitely consider one over a chromebook in the $250 price range. I can't wait to see what these look like with the new Gemini Lake Celeron Atom Pentium Silver chips.

I know I already replied to this, but thanks again for posting this. I'm back in the United States visiting family - a trip I make every couple years. Each time I come back, I usually try to spend about $100-$150 in a retail store on a cheap computer but Amazon has destroyed that. My work laptop is a Thinkpad x240, but my personal laptop is from 2014 and it's 2 GB of ram is always maxed out. The heaviest thing I need to run is PyCharm for coding; although a part of me wants to get one of these just to see if living in Bash is possible using lynx and alpine. It looks like a Cherry Trail or Apollo Lake from Jumper or Teclast notebook would take care of me. Unfortunately I don't have enough time to wait for international shipping.

Question: Am I crazy or does it seem like all these Cherry Trail Macbook knock offs are made in the same factory and stamped with a different logo, example:

$109 + 27 shipping (as of posting) T-bao-Tbook-X7, 14 inch 2 GB:
https://www.geekbuying.com/item/T-bao-Tbook-X7-2GB---32GB-Silver-380770.html

$129 Direkt-Tek DTLAPC14-1-SL 14 inch, 4 GB - 1920 x 1080
https://www.walmart.com/ip/14-Ultra...roduct_interest

$109 Direkt-Tek DTLAPC125-1-PK 12.5 inch, 4 GB - 1366 x 768
https://www.walmart.com/ip/12-5-Ult...0-hour/56123842

Bonus:
This RCA Cambio also looks interesting, but it only has 2 GB of RAM. Installing Linux might be difficult according to what I read online.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Cambio-10-1-2-in-1-32GB-Tablet-with-Windows-10-Intel-Atom-Z8350-2GB-RAM-Includes-Keyboard/56134994

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
I'm about to request a laptop refresh at work and I need some advice. Originally I was given an HP Elitebook 840 but later opted to get a 12 inch Lenovo x205 since I wanted to be more mobile, but my job role has changed significantly. I'm now creating a lot of training videos and coding. My system is slowing a crawl. Here's a rundown on what I do:
  • Use software tools which are Windows-only.
  • Code using Intellij IDE (PyCharm).
  • Create video with After Effects and Premiere.
  • Encode h.265 video using VLC/free utilities. I use an external AverMedia C875 HDMI capture device instead of relying on software tools.
  • Suffer from the mandatory anti-virus software and backup utilities which keep the CPU hovering around 30% usage.
  • Play youtube music videos in the background, which also sucks up CPU.
  • Use GIMP and Inkscape to do minor image manipulation.
  • Approximately 3 times a week I must bring my laptop to meetings to present or take notes.
  • I'm not a road warrior.

Some more facts:
  • I didn't realize the PC I selected is several cycles out of date.
  • Company policy does not allow employees to have two PCs and I am trying to have a better work-life balance, therefore I'm trying to not take my work laptop home unless I'm working on a project I'm passionate about.
  • Following the above, I also don't want to install the corporate VPN on my cell phone. We use Skype for everything, but I don't know if I can use skype on my phone/tablet for presentations. Shoot, I could probably also get a Spotify account to reclaim some CPU, but would need some kind of mixer.
  • There is an approved list of laptops I can request from, or I can get the generic windows image installed to a computer. I have seen some people with Apple devices, but I think they are just using Linux accounts which isn't available for my job role.
  • The Huawei Matebookx is on the list as well as the latest X and T series Lenovos and HP whatevers. I'm really partial to the Lenovo docking station - I have 2 24 inch monitors and external USB devices attached and I'd rather not have to unplug all that crap every time I pick up and go.
I'm thinking I should go for a laptop with the fastest CPU/Memory available.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read and seen, there isn't any worthwhile GPU offload for After Effects/Premiere. Is there any other way I can dock into more power?

Any suggestions or creative solutions?

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
I would like to buy a small laptop for light computing. It'll be for light data entry, writing, and consuming both ebooks and video. I already have a good desktop for gaming, but I'd like to free myself from my desk. There's times when it'd be useful to have a PC at the kitchen table, sofa, and bed. Cheap n100-based laptops have caught my eye. The users Twerk from Home and mobby_6kl, posted about these around page 1085, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience or alternatives. Whatever I get, I'd like to put Linux on it. I have found myself on numerous business trips where using my phone hasn't scratched the itch for what I wanted to do and I don't want to have to carry around two laptops.

The Chuwi Minibook X N100 https://store.chuwi.com/products/minibook-x-2024 is the one I've got my eye on.

I'd also like to stay away from Android. It's unfortunate that there don't seem to be any cheap arm-based PC tablet offerings available which support Linux. I read that the Xiaomi Pad 5 can be hacked to install Linux, but driver support is lacking. I looked into Pine64's offerings, but I've read that they are very slow. I'd also rather not get an Apple m1 or iPad, because I don't want to go back to the Apple ecosystem. While Asahi Linux is a potential option, but I'm not in the USA, so Apple products are holding their resale value even higher. This also rules out Chromebooks because they are not readily available in my region. Basically, Taobao and Aliexpress

I realize these are very opinionated requirements. Price is a very large factor. Ultimately, I don't want to buy something overpowered which won't get used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I hope someone has suggestions because I haven't seen anything new in this segment sadly.

In the meantime I can give you an update on my Minibook, which is the older N5100 version. Still works after multiple backpacking trips, working on the beaches etc. It's held up fine, there's some wear on the painted plastic parts and keycaps are super smooth but generally everything is still good.

There's a thread for linux stuff on their forum: https://forum.chuwi.com/t/linux-distro-on-minibook-x/31874/67

If you can go for a larger size, like the 11.6" Pine64 thing, there are probably a few more options including used ThinkPads Xsomething.
Thank you! I also appreciate the mini pc feedback.

As far as repai/support - that sounds about par for the course; these Chinese manufacturers are eating western brands' lunch. For the price, I'm okay with things being a bit more DIY.
Thank you for the thread on linux.

I'll take a look at the release timelines to see if there are any 13th or 14th gen laptops coming down out soon.