Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
What pricerange am I looking at if I want something that plays lol/dota2 at good fps on low/mid settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Weinertron posted:

OP says $600 is the minimum price range to get a laptop that's not poo poo, and given that LoL runs on my 2 year old $400 netbook well enough to play I'd say that any computer on the planet in 2013 will work for what you need.

Get a T430, with the B&N coupon they're $600 flat.

Pretty much everything about it looks great (it's apparently really sturdy as well?) but lenovo loving hates non-corporate customers in sweden.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Pretty much, yeah. Lenovo is also absurdly expensive unless you happen to know a company that has a deal with them, then it's pretty much US prices.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Someone tell me why buying a HP Envy 15 j007eo is a horrible mistake. The specs look decent for the price in :sweden:.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Inspector_71 posted:

Wow, to prove that you won the conversation, you quote yourself. That's pretty impressive.

Hah, I thought he was being douchy but that just takes it to the next level.

fe: Dear god the design on his site. He's probably ullillia's evil twin.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

BabyRyoga posted:

Work will have me sitting for 9-10 hours a day somewhere with nothing to do, so I need something to keep me from being bored out of my mind. The extra cost is negligible too I suppose, because i'm getting the SLI GPU to swap in should I need it. Most likely not, but it leaves an extra option on hand.

I was in the same situation as you a couple of months ago and the thread told me to wait for better haswell deals. So I got a lovely cheap Samsung. Turns out that watching movies and playing through my indie game backlog instead of paying out the rear end for one of the first haswell "gaming laptops" was a better choice.

E: It actually plays dota2 fine on mid settings but playing dota on hotell Internet/anything other than perfect 3g/4g blows.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 26, 2013

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Xillah posted:

How big a deal is a SSD? Having never used a system with on I can't be objective, I understand it's faster but I don't really have any idea of how much of a factor it would be.

It's by far the biggest difference per buck and once you've used one, it's horrible to go back.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I do just fine with 128gb even when gaming. Sure, 256gb would be nice but the price and effort is not worth the hassle of deleting/backuping stuff I haven't used in forever every 2 months.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Fallom posted:

Great post! I've got a Y410p on its way, and this answers all the questions I had about putting an SSD into it.

It took a 2-month business trip to make me realize I needed more than my 13" 2009 Macbook Pro could provide, so I'm looking forward to being able to play newer games and watch HD video more smoothly without having a gross-looking, heavy gaming laptop.

Great post indeed. I've probably built over a hundred desktops but I've never opened a laptop but this doesn't sound too hard.

All I need is a 2.5" ssd and a y4XX/5XX series ultrabay caddy, right?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
My only complaint about the 510p screen is that the vertical viewing angle is pretty narrow, it's surprisingly good for the pricerange.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
No, win 8 is not that bad and it's going to be even less bad in less than a month when 8.1 is released.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Anyone know if you can do a fresh install from the 8.1 preview iso microsoft provides, or is it upgrade only?

e: gently caress finding non-sketchy win8 images :(

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Klaus Kinski posted:

Anyone know if you can do a fresh install from the 8.1 preview iso microsoft provides, or is it upgrade only?

e: gently caress finding non-sketchy win8 images :(

If anyone was wondering, the answer is yes, but it doesn't detect my key. Any idea if I need a certain version for win8 core swedish?

e: No you don't, just a single language one.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 4, 2013

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Socrates16 posted:

My y510P is out for delivery right now. I'll give a review of it based on my criteria(speaker volume, screen quality) Friday when I have a bit of time. Any yX10P owners have recommendations upon bootup? Things to tweak, software to download? I think I'm going to put an SSD in there at some point, but I need some more free time first.

Here's my short review: The screen is pretty good, the speakers are ok. The build quality feels solid, I could probably break someone's skull with it and it would still boot. The touchpad and battery life (~4h power saving mode while watching movies/surfing, no tweaks) are poo poo, but I expected that.

One huge annoyance is that you can't enable the intel gpu when you run sli to squeeze a little more battery life out of it. I ran into the adaptive brightness bug when I did a fresh install of windows but it went away randomly when I rebooted.

In short: If you can you live with the short battery life and the fact that it's a pretty massive 15", it's really good value.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Weird, my 510p doesn't get that hot but I pretty much never run it in SLI, does the slightly larger case make that much of a difference? Wipe it down a few times with wet wipes or random cleaning alcohol and you stop leaving disgusting marks.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I guess it depends exactly on what you get preinstalled and if you actually use it. My y510p came with a ton of garbage freeware and trial AV/firewall software, none of which I actually use so I just wiped it clean.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Magic Underwear posted:

Are you serious? What year is it?

edit: for context, this is the thing this guy wants to buy in the year of our lord 2013.

That is a 30gb MECHANICAL hard drive and 512mb ram, running XP. What the gently caress are you thinking.

Oh and it cost $700 new.

It does look like a fun toy for playing emulated games and stuff like that, if it was $650 or so cheaper.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
The screen is bad and the build quality is questionable on most envy 15 models.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

dissss posted:

Looks like that model comes with a 1080p IPS display so its probably as good as anything else in that price range.

Evil Creature: You should post some specs - HP has a bad habit of putting different models out with the same number, and its difficult for most of us to look things up when the results aren't in English

The j007eo specs list the display as 1080p IPS but it's still really bad.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
The key is embedded in the bios, just use any random single launguage windows 8 disc.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

JustJeff88 posted:

Just a question for those of you who have a Lenovo 500Y series, as I have been thinking about getting one of those... what kind of gaming performance do you get? I had a look at the benchmarks on the 750 today, and I was rather disappointed. I realise that mobile video cards don't hold a candle to those designed for desktops, but this made me hesitate. So, if anyone has any real-life experience with these, let me know.

I'm able to run dota2/lol/kf/l4d/poe on maxed settings (no fsaa etc though) with the laptop not getting super noisy or turning into a furnace.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Spatule posted:

Is there anything wrong with a Sony VAIO Pro 13 ?

I was really impressed by it when my friend got one. It's pretty much a non-apple MBA.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

hayden. posted:

My close friend has the Envy 17, the one before the most current I think, and I am not impressed with the build quality. The casing is cracking apart slightly.

The one I was poking at had a pretty bad screen even though it's listed as ips and the keyboard had huuuge flex, you can find youtube videos of it and it's really bad.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

QuarkJets posted:

The nice thing is that you won't have to enter the license/serial number at all, Windows 8 will pull it directly from the BIOS settings, so all you need to do is start the installer. The not so nice thing is that it's easy to get the wrong ISO, in which case your key won't work. I'm not sure whether talking about which file is the right ISO is :filez: or not

Basically, you need a manufacturer/OEM/RTM version for it to work with your bios key. If you yell enough at lenovo support they will apparently mail you a thumbdrive or a disc.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

dissss posted:

I don't think they make 7200rpm laptop drives anymore. You definitely shouldn't be considering any Mac that comes with a spinning disk anyway - the ssd is just too big if a jump.

Yeah, even 256gb is quite cheap nowadays and I just keep a 1tb external around for swapping in new movies and other storage intensive stuff.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

evol262 posted:

Honest question:

If you're plugged in all the time, why do you give a drat about thickness (which goes into weight, portability, ultrabook) instead of a T440 or something?

Because he might be carrying it around alot? I'm in the same position, I have a shitton of books, papers, assorted poo poo and a computer to carry around and I only use in in hotels - Anything to reduce that is good.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Aren't the ASUS gaming laptops pretty well regarded and like half the price?

fe: Jesus, dragging around a 18" laptop must get loving annoying even if it lives in a bag or backpag most of the time.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Either one will probably be fine as long as you're ok with medium or lower settings and not interested in AAA cutting edge tech fps games etc. The y510p does have better performance but the battery life is terrible.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Fathis Munk posted:

I realize that but we're both students and have a limited budget and she's not that big on computers except browsing, watching videos and Microsoft Office, so I guess that should be doable on a 500€ machine ?

The OP mentions 600$ as breaking point from which one up you can get a decent quality laptop and we are technically above that limit. Then again maybe they are pricier in euros ?

Yes, poo poo is more expensive in EU land compared to the US. Look into chromebooks, you should be able to grab a good one for way below 500€.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
What is wrong with the thinkpad E540?

e: It's not for me. I know it feels more like a ideapad with a clitmouse, but it was stupidly discounted (like -40% compared to a dell with similar specs).

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 27, 2013

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Sire Oblivion posted:

Thanks for the quick response, what's it like installing a new hard drive on one of these things? The one that it came with is painfully slow and I just want to toss an SSD in there.

Really easy, the hardest part is removing the back cover. A friend that has pretty much never held a screwdriver managed to do it with only youtube to guide him.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

QuarkJets posted:

The SLI upgrade is not good bang for your buck. You'd be better off gathering $200 in a big pile of singles and burning it. Coincidentally, that burning pile of money would have a lower temperature than your SLI laptop

(SLI will make your laptop slightly more graphically powerful, but only slightly; it'll also make it a lot hotter and a bit heavier and more power hungry. You're not really extending the lifetime of your laptop by any measurable length of time, and you'd be better off putting that $200 toward your next laptop purchase. And you really don't need to get the 780M, the 750M/755M are excellent GPUs)

The performance is actually pretty good on SLI and the heat isn't that bad. I'd also rather turn down some settings than use my laptop to simulate getting seated next to the engines on a plane. gently caress that noise, literally.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

dissss posted:

I don't think the Macbook keyboards are great let alone better than all Windows options - I actually slightly prefer the feel of my work Elitebook to the Macs and when compared to my own T430s its no contest.

Sorta OT but you should try the y510/y410, it's loving amazing for a laptop keyboard.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

dgpu is huge difference unless you plan on sticking to 2d indie games.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Uranium 235 posted:

My dad keeps breaking his laptops, probably because he's a conductor on freight trains and he carries his laptop in a backpack, and it's not so easy to be gentle with his stuff. He really just uses his laptop to browse the web while he's in his hotel room. He also doesn't want to spend more than $500-600. Should I just point him to Best Buy to get another flimsy laptop? I don't know what else he can buy with that kind of money--I don't think that price point buys durability.

He's also open to tablets, though he says he'd miss having a keyboard. Maybe if he got a durable case, the tablets would fare better.

Any ideas? I'm kind of at a loss because his budget doesn't leave much room for anything, and I don't know the tablet market at all.

He wants to stick with Windows, so that further narrows things down.

BTW it's the screens that keep getting the poo poo end of the stick.

I'm in the exact line of work and I prefer a tablet and a beefy case. It's also much more convenient for when you get those short stops while waiting for another train, gently caress pulling out a laptop when a tablet takes like 5 seconds to set up.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Gwaihir posted:

It's another cheap laptop that's just going to break again. :shrug: I mean, literally anything is going to be enough performance for parent machines, most folks here just spend the extra money for durability/warranties. It sucks that he doesn't want a tablet, because web browsing in a hotel room is basically the ideal use case for one, and you can get a lot better otterbox style protection for them compared to laptops.

Exactly this. $400 gets you a lovely laptop or a good tablet+case.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Without a doubt. My y510p lives in my backpack 99% of the time it's not in use, has survived a couple of short drops and a few "woops the backpack wasnt closed" incidents and aside from a few scratches, it's fine.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Go for the cheapest one, I doubt you'll be bottlenecked by the CPU and the cash you save can be put into a SSD.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
^^^ Don't blow that much on a single purchase. Get something in the $1k range and upgrade again in a year or two. They'll both get outdated at roughly the same time.

Yawgmoft posted:

How well regarded is the Y510p? The OP seems to be down on any lenovo that isn't T X or W, but my girlfriend's laptop is pretty much ready for the junkyard (one of the hinges even snapped). She does some graphics stuff but I know she wants to do more gaming things. The laptop wouldn't really move much, it's mostly on or coffee table except for her trimonthly trip to Virginia. I'd love to get her something good rather than another laptop that slowly loses its functionality like the scroll bar. Also ASUS sound sucks how is Lenovo?

I've been very happy with mine but I pretty much use it as a portable stationary. It's either plugged in or living in my backpack. It's ok for watching movies on the train, but I had to buy a nexus 7 because the y510p wouldn't fit on the airplane tables :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

mr crow posted:

I just got my y510p in, with the 755M SLI. Excited! Trackpad really sucks though, I'm zooming in and out all over the place in Chrome for no reason. Anyone have any app/program/driver recommendations (especially with an eye towards maintenance and performance)?

e: Or a good [cheap??? please?] gaming mouse recommendation

You can make the trackpad slightly better by updating the software and maxing out the "palm detection" something option.

fe: I like the steelseries kinzu. It's cheap, tiny and works really well. EC series is pretty much the same as a kinzu but has this awesome rubber grip surface.