Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Hadlock posted:

There are a couple of people who swear that the new thinkpad keyboards are worse, but the overwhelming opinion is that the new keyboards are as good or better than the old ones, and they're certainly still in the top two, right up there with macbook keyboards.

My buddy has a T400 (old style, 2008 era) and a x120 (new style (2010 era), he has no preference. Compared with my x230 (new style, 2012 era) they are all equally good in general.

For me its the layout changes that bring out my nerd rage. I can adjust to a slightly different key feel without too much effort, but going from 7 rows to 6 rows on the new layout drives me bonkers when I've been using the same layout for 15 years or so. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but years of muscle memory is hard to retrain, for me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

DrDork posted:

... if you paid 30c/kWh (gently caress you, SoCal) ...

:stare:
I pay 7 cents/kWh in the Northwest.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Hadlock posted:

i5 3320 and above - same general performance, but with vt-D suport for 50-100% faster VM speeds

VT-x will speed up normal VMs, but VT-d is only useful in certain circumstances. VT-d specifically refers to an IOMMU, which lets you pass through a PCI device such as a RAID card or network adapter to the guest. Unless you're doing PCI passthrough, VT-d does nothing to speed up the VM.

As far as I can tell, all mobile i5 processors support VT-x.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

shrughes posted:

VT-d speeds up desktop responsiveness by somewhere between a factor of 1 and a factor of 10000, depending on circumstance and what OS / desktop you're using. Namely, with VT-d desktop responsiveness is almost always identical to native responsiveness, and without it, alt+tabbing and other actions have noticeable lag, as does certain other redraws. This depends on how bad the OS is -- Ubuntu with Unity is atrocious, and while XFCE or OpenBox might still exhibit some sluggishness, at least it doesn't hang for minutes sometimes, or take seconds to alt+tab.

VT-x is necessary for running 64-bit VMs, and in 32-bit VMs it doesn't necessarily speed them up.

Taking minutes to to alt-tab sounds like a different problem. Desktop responsiveness has nothing to do with VT-d (although you can passthrough a video card, its a non-trivial setup). I run VMs on machines without VT-d (and one without VT-x) without any issues like that in Ubuntu (although Unity is slow if you don't have 3D support). VT-d simply allows the VM to have direct access to a physical hardware resource and you have to configure the passthrough manually. It's normally used for RAID cards or network devices: http://academia.edu/833117/Performance_and_Scaling_Impacts_of_Hardware-accelerated_I_O_Virtualization

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

shrughes posted:

Nope. You are wrong. VT-d causes drastic performance differences. I can invite you over to my house, have you watch me enable and disable VT-d in the BIOS on various laptops and desktops, and observe the performance differences if you'd like. I didn't say alt+tabbing takes minutes. Pressing the Windows key in Unity and then typing "terminal" might end up hanging for minutes sometimes, on the right versions of Ubuntu. Alt-tabbing merely takes between some noticeable amount of lag and a few seconds of lag, depending on desktop environment.

Are you sure the setting you're toggling is VT-d? Can you provide links to information that can show these supposed drastic performance differences? The Unity dash is slow as hell when you don't have 3D support in the VM. If you have 3D support, which doesn't require VT-d, it'll run just dandy (although other desktop environments are generally faster anyway). You might want to read up on what VT-d actually is before you claim it provides drastic performance increases for basic desktop responsiveness.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

I think there has been a "p" before, it just refers to an option package and isn't actually a separate model per se. I say this because I vaguely recall seeing T420p and T430p on order sheets before but I don't think they're actually badged as such.

It would be funny, though, if since s stands for "slim," p stood for "porky".

There has been "p" models before, but the last one was the T61p. Thinkwiki has a good summary of past and current models. The "p" variants were always a higher spec than the normal model, so I always assumed it meant performance.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

CaladSigilon posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the System76 laptops?

The Galago looks sexy as hell, and if the build quality is good, it beats out the Sony VAIO Pro - and since the Haswell Thinkpads are still essentially several months out....

I don't have any personal experience with them, but System76 laptops are rebranded Clevo units. The Galago looks like its the Clevo W470SU. You'll probably find more information looking for Clevo reviews.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Hadlock posted:

The 3320 has VT-d enabled which is useful (like, 40% better performance) in virtual machines, otherwise it's mostly marketing

The video card depends on what games you like to play and at what resolution. Skyrim or Call of Duty will be fine, but it will choke on BF3/BF4

You're confusing VT-d with VT-x. VT-x provides hardware visualization and can provide significant performance improvement for general VM tasks. VT-d is Intels IOMMU implementation, which provides a VM with direct hardware access so a VM can have sole control of an IO device, such as a network adapter, RAID card, or GPU. VT-d is generally unnecessary for home use and software support for it is hit or miss outside of enterprise VM solutions. Virtualbox supports VT-d in a limited manner (GPU passthrough doesn't work), and as far as I can tell, VMWare Workstation doesn't support it at all.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

shrughes posted:

A year ago or so (maybe almost two years ago), I did an experiment turning VT-d on and off in the BIOS and using VirtualBox. It affected the performance of the Ubuntu 11.10 Unity desktop running inside of VirtualBox pretty drastically, taking it from completely unusable to usable. Later versions became less unusable in the absence of VT-d. I haven't tried this experiment recently, the one machine I have without VT-d has VMware Workstation running on it and it seems OK.

In VirtualBox, unless you set it up manually, VT-d is not used: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.html#pcipassthrough
VMware only supports VT-d in ESX/ESXi, Workstation and Player do not support it at all.

Maybe the setting in your BIOS did more than just turn VT-d on and off, but VT-d is not used unless you specifically configure PCI passthrough.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

shrughes posted:

But Linux, plus an AMD graphics card? I don't know about that...

It used to be a good idea to avoid ATI/AMD graphics in Linux, but this isn't really the case anymore. I'd say nVidia is still better overall, but I wouldn't specifically avoid something with AMD graphics.

If a discrete GPU isn't needed, I'd try to stick with the onboard Intel graphics if possible. Intel's Linux driver is open source and very well supported by every distro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Khorne posted:

If asus released a bios that enabled fn+arrow keys (or fn+any reasonable 4 keys) for pgup/pgdown/home/end I'd maybe buy a g14. It's a pretty good laptop. Although no camera & the screen going below the chassis when open are also potential deal breakers.

The solution lots of people with the laptop are using, bind to ctrl+arrow or alt+arrow, just doesn't work. It interrupts functionality in editors. Ctrl+arrow is critical in vscode/ides, alt+arrow is critical in lots of things with menus (excel), and there are other interactions with those key combinations as well.

The lack of those navigation buttons is definitely a letdown. The good news is the lack of them on the G14 has forced me to properly learn Vim navigation commands.