Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I know this is very subjective, but any opinions on buying an iPad versus laptop for using it on the couch and maybe on my porch?

I'm looking for something to use while watching TV, etc. I'm primarily interested in playing games on it but nothing too heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Are there any convertible ultrabooks that are similiar to a Macbook Air but with a touchscreen?

I basically want an 11" or 13" Macbook Air, with a touchscreen, Haswell CPU (HD5000 GPU) and running Windows.

The only other problem I've experienced is that DPI scaling on Windows is a horrible, horrible mess. I had a Microsoft Surface Pro for a short while and I had lots of problems with games not scaling properly, the touchscreen not registering, etc.

I really like the look (and trackpad!) of the Macbook Air, but I'm still not sure if I want to stay on OSX/iOS...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'm talking about full convertibles so I can use the ultrabook as a tablet OR a laptop.

"Tablet-mode" is really neat (espicially the Civilization 5 touch-optimized version!) but I know that 95% of games don't work properly with it so that why I want the full laptop experience as well. (and for the better viewing angle of the screen)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Are most laptop fans extremely loud?

I've purchased a new Macbook Air and when playing games the fan is very, very loud.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Anandtech posted their 2013 Macbook Air review and it looks like the HD 5000 GPU is about 16% faster than the HD 4000 which isn't bad.

My only complaint with the Macbook Airs (and probably other laptops?) is that even when playing "small" games like DOTA or Civilization 5, the fan will gets very, very loud and the laptop gets quite hot on the bottom.

When I'm not playing a game, the fan doesn't even turn on though which is nice.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What are the alternatives to the Macbook Air 11.6" ?

I'm looking for this:
  • 16:9 aspect ratio (for video)
  • 128GB or more storage
  • Close to MBA form-factor

I'm looking at some of the refurbished Macbook Airs and they have some decent deals but I'm wondering if anything else even exists.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Can anybody recommend me an ultrabook around 11" - 13" for mostly playing older PC games? I'd love to get something that's last years model for around $500 - $600 dollars.

A bonus would be it having a touchscreen and be able to play "small" indie games like FTL and maybe DOTA with everything turned down, etc.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

These Chromebooks have me really interested...

I'm looking for something around 11" - 13" that is very light and will be used for surfing and playing old games probably using DOSBox or SCUMMVM, etc.

Here's what I'm hoping for:
  • 11" - 13"
  • Old PC games (SCUMMVM, DOSBOX, etc)
  • Video playback (1080p decoding)

The new Acer haswell chromebook sounds REALLY interesting as long as you can install Ubuntu, etc.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I believe ScummVM and Dosbox have NaCl ports, so you could run them natively in ChromeOS.
Hmmm, any idea how fast they run? (for example, Syndicate or maybe the original X-Com?)

Mutation posted:

So what's the deal on those 280-380 dollar Dell Inspiron laptops? I've been hearing more and more people bringing them up as possibly better alternatives to Chromebooks, but I don't know if that's from actual experience or just that it's cheap as well and it has Windows 8.
Huh, I didn't know they made laptops that cheap... I see a touchscreen Dell for only $379 and I think it's Haswell but I'm not sure. I'd be interested in learning more about Chromebook vs these cheap Dells as well!

I wonder if the Dell's can run a little bit more "advanced" Indie games like Papers Please and other light Indie games stuff...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Why didn't Lenovo use the Intel 5000 GPU parts? :(

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

AriTheDog posted:

I bought a Yoga 2 Pro, got sick of the awful track pad, scaling issues, Win8 ux problems, and bundled crapware. Returned it for a 13" Macbook Pro Retina. Keyboard is better on the Y2P, but that's it. Screen color issues and backlight bleeding coupled with the terrible scaling made the problems outweigh the benefits of the high resolution. Poor battery life too.

I'm not a Mac fan, and I really wanted a Windows computer, but man if this MBPr isn't great. Works straight out of the box, solid build quality, great track pad, great screen, great battery life, and plenty good keyboard. I've been looking for the right Windows laptop for months, and as far as I can tell for me (after several trips to the Windows store and Best Buy) it doesn't exist.
Hmmm... I've been debating about a MBPr for a while now and I even tried an Macbook Air (2013, 13" model) and loved everything about it except for the TN screen.

How does non-retina content look on the MBPr?

Also, I heard that effective resolution is only 1280x800 which seems awfully small... Does playing games or other content at lower resolutions look blurry?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Which ThinkPad Yoga are you talking about?

I'm also considering a Lenovo (instead of the MacBook Pro w/Retina) because my "ideal" laptop is a convertible with a touchscreen and the ThinkPad/IdeaPads look really nice.

Are you talking about the Yoga 11S? (I'm guessing not since you said 12.5 screen...)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Does anybody have any thoughts on the Dell XPS 12 (2012 model) for $679? (it's the convertible)

It's last year's convertible 12.5" laptop from Dell and I love the mechanism for switching between tablet mode.

I'm trying to find a convertible laptop for around $500 and this seems close enough...

Any thoughts?

(EDIT: I'm looking for something around 13" and convertible to be more specific...)

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 25, 2013

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Anybody seen any good Black Friday deals?

I just need something for sitting on the couch and doing simple tasks and playing light indie games.

The MacBook Air is $150 off at BBY plus I have a $50 gift certificate but that's still $899 for the base model. I've seen a lot of PC ultrabooks on sale for $500 or $600. (I do like the smaller 13" screen though, and the Intel 5000 GPU on the MBA)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

FYI - The Lenovo outlet store is offering 30% off their already ridiculously low prices...

Stock is low but they update it every hour or so.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Anybody have a laptop but only use it at home? (re: couch/casual usage)

I've moved into a new house and unfortunately I don't have an office (like my old house), so my PC is located downstairs in the basement. This isn't a huge problem, but it causes me to not use it as often because I'm usually upstairs with my kids, etc.

So... I'm thinking about getting a MacBook (Air?) to use upstairs. 65% of the time it will be used on the couch (with the trackpad) and the other 35% I'll use it on my dining room table with a mouse.

Does anybody else have a similar situation?

I really don't need the laptop to be portable because it will stay at home most of the time (except maybe using it at work during downtime to play games/watch short movies).

The 11" seems great for the couch, but then really small on the dining room table as a PC replacement.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

GuyIncognito! posted:

have you considered something like a surface pro? Seems like the perfect usage scenario for one. I have about the same requirements, either using it on the couch or folding out the keyboard and using a mouse at a table, and I love it. enough power to do useful things, and portable enough to lounge on the couch and use it as a tablet. vOv. I have one of the first models, but from what I hear the sp2 have faaar better battery life.
The Surface Pro is definitely a fantastic machine, but when I tried it a few months ago I had a problem using it on my lap. (i.e. the kickstand doesn't allow me to set a good angle while resting on my lap)

If the Surface Pro had a full hinge that was adjustable it would be perfect :(

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Is the screen on the Lenovo Y410 IPS or TN? (the 1600x900 "HD+" version)

I'm debating between the MacBook Air/Pro and the Y410... The MacBook Air's TN screen is pretty terrible...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Darn. Thanks. Any idea how it compares to the MacBook Air screen?

Are there any IPS-screen laptops around 13" ?

Basically I'd love a MacBook Air with an IPS screen. The MacBook Pro Retina is pretty fantastic but scaling the resolution (for games and such) doesn't look as good as native resolution on an IPS panel :(

(Lenovo Y410 is on sale for $799.00 which is apparently $570 off the normal price for today only?)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Hopefully this is a pretty good deal (since I just bought one)...

Dell XPS12 for $699 at the Microsoft Store: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Dell-XPS-12-XPSU12-4668CRBFB-Touchscreen-2-in-1-Core-i5/productID.288325100

12.5-inch Full HD touchscreen
Intel Core i5-4200U (Haswell)
4 GB memory/128 GB SSD
Over 8.5 hours battery life

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

According to Dell:

quote:

The hinge is tested to 20,000 cycles. That is equivalent to doing 10 flips per day, 7 days a week for 5.5 years

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Are there any 13" laptops with an IPS screen and a 1440x900 resolution?

I don't like the scaling on 1080p or other high dpi screens and 1440x900 is pretty much perfect at 13" ...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Is there any other better deals than the Dell XPS12 for $699 at the Microsoft Store? (it's the Haswell version, 12.5", 1920x1080 screen, 128 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM)

I've actually already purchased it and am pretty happy, but I have just a couple of complaints:

* 12.5" at 16x9 is a little small. the macbook air 13.3" (16x10) is the perfect size for me
* trackpad isn't great
* windows scaling isn't great

A refurbished MacBook Air with nearly the same specs is $929 (+$230 more) but has a TN screen and is getting into the "too expensive" price range for me...

I'm just looking for something to use on the couch I can use when I'm not using my iPad (or doing stuff my iPad can't do)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Are there any Windows laptops with a glass trackpad similar to the MacBook?

Basically, I want a MacBook Air but native Windows...

So -- what's the best Windows laptop trackpad? (glass-type only). I also only want something around 13" and lower resolution is perfectly fine...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Are there any Windows laptops with 13" screens and glass trackpads that are somewhat comparable to the Macbook trackpad?

Right now I'm using a Macbook Air (13") and really love it, but I find myself using bootcamp quite often which is almost negating the benefit of it being a Macbook...

EDIT: Oh, low resolution is also fine. I don't like "HiDPI" on Windows too much anyways...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What's the best Windows alternative to the 13.3" MacBook Air?

I can run Windows using Bootcamp, but the trackpad drivers aren't that great and I've been told if I'm going to primarily use Windows then to get an ultrabook instead. I plan to use the laptop 75% on the couch with the trackpad/touchscreen or using a game controller resting the laptop on my lap. The other time will be using the laptop on my front porch, etc.

Here's my ideal laptop:

12" - 13"
1440x900 (because Windows DPI scaling isn't great)
IPS screen
Glass trackpad
Geforce GPU (for extremely light gaming or NVidia GameStream)
Tablet-mode (i.e. folding or twisting the laptop to make using it as a tablet easier)

The Lenovo Y410 seems nice but 14" is a bit too big, it's heavy, and I've heard the trackpad is terrible.

The Yoga 2 13" seems nice. I've never used the trackpad though and the GPU is a tiny bit lacking. (I wish it was at least the HD 5000)

The Dell XPS 12 seems interesting but I don't know much about it.

The Dell XPS 13 looks really good but I think it has a rubber trackpad?

Anybody have any advice for me? As much as I'd like to use a MacBook Air, I really want something with Windows.