Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Is it just me, or are these new Alienware machines they announced today pretty sweet? I'm in the market for a gaming laptop soon as a temporary desktop replacement (about a year before I rebuild), and the timing couldn't be better. I was leaning towards an MSI, but those and the Sagers are just so ugly. Does anyone here see any glaring faults at first glance? (I'd link but I'm on mobile, sorry)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

InstantInfidel posted:

You have a large, glowing, Alien-shaped contraceptive on your laptop.

edit: also don't buy a gaming laptop at all. Build a desktop.
Well I already have a gaming desktop, but I need a machine I can move between rooms in my house for the next year. My girlfriend doesn't give a poo poo about glowing aliens, but maybe the fat black squares that Sager and MSI are worth another look. I do wish they had a chassis with aluminum on it, as I really like that facet of my MBP but I guess that all boils down to vanity (not a reason I'm all that interested in). I guess I do wish I could pry off that alien and replace it with a An Arc Reactor or something, but whatever.

What's the build quality on those bigger gaming laptops like anyways? Never seen one in person.

For the record, this gaming laptop won't even be leaving my home except for the very rare LAN party. I just need to be barely in my own home.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
For the record, there are plenty of gaming laptops with user upgradeable GPUs now. There is a small subset of people for whom a gaming laptop is a good idea. I'm one of them, and I got the same load when I asked for advice here on which was a good buy. I never asked if I should buy one, because I'm savvy enough and know my situation better than anyone here. It was pretty frustrating to get blown off, but whatever. If you're sold on one, and price isn't a barrier you're worried about, don't let these guys talk you out of one. I'm leaning towards the new MSI GT60 myself, but still have another month to decide.

If price is something you're worried about, then their advice should definitely be considered. These guys really just wanna save you some cash, which is very nice of them.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

LurkingAsian posted:

So I just ordered a Clevo W230ST from these guys.
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7330-clevo-w230st-p-6163.html

Based on the spec sheet it seems like the perfect mobile gaming laptop. Does anyone here have first hand experience with this model?

I'm ordering mine on the 21st, please post your thoughts when yours shows up. What specs did you end up ordering?

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

SoggyGravy posted:

I am confused, other than a place like xoticpc where can I buy the Clevo W230ST laptop? Are they the best place to go to? I am almost totally convinced that bang for buck this will be the way to go instead of spending 2300 on a blade. It seems almost too good to be true. What do you guys recommend customization wise to get the most bang for buck out of this guy given that I don't want it to be a portable brick or super duper loud/hot becuase I chose to get the higher wattage cpu that wasn't necessary. I am not up to speed on all the latest CPU units since it has been about a year since I last built a PC.

In my googling last night, I found a good laptop subreddit with a list of reputable Clevo/Sager resellers.

http://tinyurl.com/q7bxgr9

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Airconswitch posted:

How do Lenovo's Ideapads stack up? I was looking at one of the Y410p models listed in that B&N link, namely this one. Is this reasonable, or should I go with a proper Thinkpad? How's the build quality on Ideapads? I'll use it for school with some gaming mixed in (Kerbal Space Program at least, who knows what else).

Mine is arriving tomorrow. I have pretty modest expectations, but I'll happily review it tomorrow night or Thursday for this thread.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Meydey posted:

Just received a Y410p in the mail yesterday. Ordered it on Thursday, and recieved it 5 days later from North Carolina.
I was looking for something that my son could take to college and game with a little bit (LOL, GW2, etc). Considered MSI GE40, Clevo w230st, etc.

Performance wise, my only other laptop is a 2 year old Acer Timeline with an I3. This thing runs rings around the Acer. I loaded up Boarderlands2, running at 1600x900 with 4x AA, not a hitch. After 30 minutes, it was running pretty hot, so I put it on a laptop cooler, and that helped alot.

Build quality is faily solid. The keyboard feels nice, don't really care about the trackpad (both me and my son are mouse people). Ran it for a couple of hours, and didn't have any Wifi issues, including downloading BL2 from Steam at 1.2mbps avg. As soon as the ebay hard drive ultrabay thing arrives, gonna throw the 1tb drive in that and put a 128gb ssd in it. Probably do a fresh reload of win8 also.

I am happy with the purchase. $885 w/tax and shipping to Washington with the B&N link. $100 for the ssd and I'm still under a grand, which was roughly my budget.

Couple things to add after having mine for a couple of days:

-The trackpad is poo poo, but I use a mouse. Just a heads up for people who will use it, though.
-Even after calibration, the screen seems a little washed out.

I've been playing a bunch of Planetside 2, Max Payne 3, and WoW so far. It seems to run great, and I haven't seen my GPU temps go above 73c yet. It's running the FFXIV benchmark very well, which is one of the games I intend to play a lot on it. Build quality isn't anything to write home about, but I don't think it feels cheap at all. All in all, I'm not disappointed for what I paid. I was mostly worried about the heat, but that seems well within my acceptable boundaries.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
A couple of things about the y410p I found while doing some research that may also affect some peoples choice in purchasing it:

They haven't been very consistent in announcing when the ultra-bay addons will be released for this laptop. As it stands, your only options at the moment for upgrading are as follows:

1: Buy a $10 HDD caddy from eBay that mostly fits, and put the existing HDD in there. The outside panel may not fit perfectly snug with the rest of your laptop, but it will work. You can then put an MSATA SSD into the slot the Main HDD was in.

2: Buy a very expensive and, at this point in time, rare M.2 NGFF SSD for the second drive. The second slot doesn't support MSATA, it's only this M.2 slot with drives that aren't available for consumers yet. Supposed to be quite fast when they are, though.

3: While an SLI 750m ultra-bay was initially something they used as a selling point, they haven't announced any official release date for this yet. Honestly, I doubt it would even do anything before you would get thermal throttling, anyways.

4: I believe there is planned to be a ultra-bay fan upgrade as well, in the future.

Some people are reporting serious connectivity issues with the Intel wireless card that comes with the machine. Lenovo has a hardware white-list in place in the bios that prevents you from swapping it out for any other cards. People made a hacked bios for the previous version of this laptop that removed the white list, but no such thing exists yet for this laptop. Someone on NBR is claiming you can simply disable secure boot in the bios to install other wireless cards, but no one has actually confirmed this.

FWIW I have had zero issues with my wireless at all.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
A bunch of us posted some good info on the y410p a few pages ago. Some pros and cons. To sum it up:

Good keyboard
Average screen
Wifi might have issues, and is bios locked so you can't change the internal card until someone hacks the bios
Trackpad isn't good
Plays most games on medium/high at 30-60 fps (1600x900)
Mine hasn't gone above 76c so far after any hours of gaming
Screen hinge on the y series screen occasionally has issues, no problems here so far
I don't find the build quality to be that lacking. Better than my last HP

Despite the list of cons, none of which are deal-breakers. I'm quite happy with mine. The y510p will have the same specs and a bigger screen, so you'll probably be turning down graphics a bit more on the newest games to run at 1080. Not sure how that screen will look running at 1600x900. I wouldn't get sli, it'd run too hot. You're better off buying a caddy for the ultra-bay and putting in an SSD with the money.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Fwiw, I have been playing the following on my y410p:
FFXIV
Payday 2
DOTA2
Dishonored
Batman: Arkham City
Assassins Creed 3
Skyrim with an ENB
Planetside 2

I get a solid 35-60 on most these games at high to medium settings. I usually turn down AA and pick the least important dx11 or other effect to turn down a bit. That's at 1600x900, too.

Edit: if a solid 60fps is very important then a solid stack of medium settings will be necessary. I haven't had to run a single game on low/med.

Switched.on fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Here's one more vote for "idea pads suck, don't buy one" mine cooked itself after 13 months and I always used it on my desk on a cooler. Lenovo support was useless as well.