Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I feel like the XPS 12 is gimmicky, and I'd be worried about breaking that tiny frame around the swiveling screen, thereby ruining my weird $1200+ laptop/tablet hybrid. Is the frame actually pretty sturdy? The smaller screen with a lot of power is really alluring, to me.

e: Note that I'm a big dumb oaf and I broke one of the hinges on my 15" Inspiron just through normal use

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

Yeah, if something's actually that sensitive it really shouldn't be on a laptop

There are many government agencies and corporations that disagree. If you just encrypt your hard drive then that's probably fine

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So I've got some general use Dell coupon codes, not sure how much longer they'll be around:

30% off any Laptop, Desktop or Tablet $1000+ Code: "2JTJ140TG9562G"
25% off any Laptop, Desktop or Tablet $500+ Code: "S45VMLZ06VJ3WM"
20% off any Laptop, Desktop or Tablet under $500 Code: "$X3GG244P$8?90"
30% off any Refurbished Monitor Code: "0$HG9WSRJRKW22"

I took a look at the XPS 12, but my god those are loving expensive. I think that I'll sit tight and wait for some more laptops to come out with the HD5000

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

shrughes posted:

I'm not sure about that. My point is: Why should I care if my drivers are up to date? The machine works. Nothing is broken. Driver updates will do nothing for me.

It becomes a pretty serious concern when you're playing a game and the most common solution to most problems is "update your video drivers." If you're not gaming at all though then it's probably not something to worry about.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm looking for a laptop for my wife, since hers is more or less on its last legs. Ideally, I'd like to get a Thinkpad with 8GB and a BluRay drive. However, I'd like to not go way way over the magic $640 price point, because we're cheap running a little thin this month.

Is it worth looking at an ASUS? Should I just bite the bullet and sink money into a big ol' ultrabook? Should I get her a chromebook instead? All she really uses it for is web surfing, office, and watching DVDs.

I JUST DON'T KNOW INTERNET HELP ME :byodood:

If you just need something for surfing, office, and DVDs then a chromebook is fine except that it has no optical drive. A chromebook with a USB DVD drive might be something to consider. Otherwise, you should consider watching one of the deal sites like techbargains or fatwallet until something you like (with a dvd drive) comes along at a cheap enough price.

Also, don't immediately turn down refurb laptops; usually they're perfectly good laptops with nothing actually wrong with them, and if they do have problems then they'll probably appear within the refurb warranty period. It's a very small gamble that can save you a lot of money

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

kbar posted:

Is anyone else bummed about the lay of the XPS 12 landscape?

Through Dell Outlet, I was able to find an Ivy Bridge-based XPS 12 with the top i7 and 8GB RAM for $850 after coupon. The new Haswell XPS 12 is out, and obviously it's not on Outlet yet. The cheapest I can get it with an i7 and 8GB is $1372.

The newer model offers literally double the battery life, and swaps out the practically-defective Cypress touchpad for a Synaptics one that's earning very high praise over at NotebookReview. I need a new laptop basically yesterday, but maaaaaaaan, I'm really not excited about swallowing that $522 delta.

gently caress.

Haswell is still brand new, people just recently started receiving the first Haswell XPS 12s and you expect to find a bunch of them in Outlet already? Really?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BobHoward posted:

What kind of customizability are you concerned about with OS X? Hardware, software, both?

If you choose Linux you really need to do careful research. Especially if you're going to buy a Mac to run Linux. With laptop hardware it may pay to buy one generation (or more) behind so that you aren't one of the pioneers. It's that or buy from one of the handful of Sager / Clevo rebadging operations which specialize in Linux, such as System76. (You'll probably end up doing your own support in the long run with these operations anyways.)

Depending on what your astro software needs it may be feasible to run it inside a Linux virtual machine. In which case buy what you like and get more RAM than you otherwise would.

Scientific computing is mostly Linux, especially astronomy, so he'd be spending all of his time with the virtual machine. It'd be easier to just put Linux on it.

Most modern Linux distributions have already listed benchmarks on Haswell, so no issue there. Just buy whatever Windows laptop you like and then install Linux on it. This is a painless process with most configurations and most major distributions. Battery gains won't be as good as with a Windows 8 laptop, keep that in mind. No harm in buying an Ivy Bridge

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

shrughes posted:

Who doesn't do school-related programming without an IDE? First-semester students?

Real Pros use Vim :smug:

(which is more usable on a resolution greater than 1366x768)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Ask again next year when you're buying it. A lot can change in that time.

Right now I'd say the overall best laptop is the 13" Macbook Air. It's very light, thin, built well, has the best trackpad, and the battery lasts over 10 hours with normal use like movies, music, web browsing.

I lugged around a 15" Macbook Pro in college and I wish I had an Air back then.

But only if you can stand Macbook designs. It's a 'you love it or hate it' kind of deal. Luckily, pretty much every retail electronics store will have macbooks on display, or your mall may even have an Apple Store. But seriously, gently caress that keyboard it feels awful and I hate that my job makes me use one (but obviously not everyone agrees with my opinion)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I've actually never personally met someone that hated my Air. Everyone that sees it ogles at it and wants to touch it.

They're very pretty to see, but a pain to use (for me; seriously, gently caress that keyboard)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

^^^ Oh, I didn't even see your post there. This looks like a good laptop overall, but ditch the SLI graphics; it's an extra $200 over a DVD device (which can be useful) and generally SLI graphics in laptops are always a bad idea unless you're some sort of mobile GPU fetishist. I've also got a coupon code for you if you order this week:

kill your idols posted:

Goons, I'm going through a pretty serious cancer operation this Friday, and I wanted some suggestions on maybe a under $1,000 laptop I could use in bed to play some modern games (BioShock, StarCraft, Something else I use big guns to kill stuff with) type games while I'm laid up for 6 months. Any advice? I currently use a MacBook Pro 13 with the onboard intel gpu bullshit, but I was wondering if a Windows based machine would be a better option for this entertainment.

I'm looking at Alienware models, but I'm sure the price hit is just because it's market'd as a "gaming laptop." I think its the same model Sheldon uses on Big Bang Theory, so it must not suck that much.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/413142/Alienware_M14x_14_Laptop_Computer_-_Stealth_Black

Size, weight does not matter, I just need to sit on my lap in a cooler for the next 34 weeks.

Any advice is great, as my gaming desktop is going to be sold off on SA-Mart I guess tonight. :911:

The M14x really is a little outdated, $900 is a pretty high price for what you'd be getting. There are tons of relatively inexpensive Haswell + discrete GPU laptops floating around, it's just a matter of finding one that you like and at a good price.

Checking today's techbargains laptop listings, I found this:
Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p

It has an i7 Haswell processor, the new generation of NVidia discrete GPUs, two more GB of RAM, a twice as large hard drive + 24GB SSD, a 1080p screen, and the screen is an inch larger (15.6") than the Alienware that you were looking at. It's $999 free shipping as-is, or $949 after coupon code USPY505808 (Expires 8/16). This is a whole lot more for just an additional $50 and would be a lot more capable of dealing with the games on your list than that Alienware M14x.

I know nothing about the IdeaPad build quality, keyboard, etc., but judging by the tech specs alone this would be a good choice and inside of your price range. Of the reviews that I've read, the complaints are regarding things like weight and battery life (IE it is a gaming laptop), so not an issue for you.

To be honest, my first thought was the new Alienware 14, but it seems to be $1199 now when it was $999 a month ago. Weird

e: Hell, I'm thinking of getting one of these myself now that I've had a close look at the specs. I've been laptop shopping for months and am starting to get tired of waiting for more models with Intel HD 5000 to come out

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 12, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Deathlove posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm a fetishist, but I'm not averse to spending an extra few hundred for performance (hence the ol' Sager). As far as the optical drive goes, eh - I can't remember the last time I used the one in my current laptop, though I'm sure I'll regret that down the line.

Maybe saving the $200 and putting it towards replacing the 750GB drive with an SSD wouldn't be a terrible idea, though - what's the ease of upgrade on them?

SLI builds are always on the far-end of the Cost/Performance curve, you're really not getting much (aside from a lot of extra heat) for your $200. It's poor value, is all. An SSD provides a significant performance boost and provides great value if you want performance. If you get a hard drive caddy for the optical bay then you can ditch the DVD drive and have the 1TB drive for extra space and the SSD for software. I think that this would be the optimal performance/price configuration with minimal heat.

If you desperately want a bit of extra GPU power then by all means, get the SLI.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

InstantInfidel posted:

Looking at your original post, I think you really should consider an mITX desktop. Get a second video cord and power cable for your living room as well as a wireless mouse and keyboard from Logitech (you can mix and match and only need a single wireless dongle) and you'll be good to go. Get a large SSD and boot times will be negligible. An $800 desktop will be solvent for a much, much longer time than an $800 laptop.

Sager is worth looking into if you plan to use your laptop as a desktop replacement, but then you might as well get a desktop anyway.

edit: wait, if you just want to play older steam games, then you don't even need a dedicated video card. Look for a laptop with a CPU that has either HD5000, HD5100, or HD5200. Any of those will laugh at the large majority of steam games (and the ones they can't play would probably run like dogshit on a 750M anyway).

But which laptops actually have HD5000+ right now? Basically just Macbooks?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

^^^ Probably, yes

Bigbillthaboss posted:

I'm looking to buy, against better judgement and reasoning, a gaming laptop. Yes, I said it.

Back in 2009 I bought an ASUS Laptop, the one I'm currently using, for 800$. It's still running fine, playing Dota 2 at just about peak graphics as well as EVE Online and Guild Wars (with fps at around 40). I have definitely gotten my 800$ worth out of it seeing that 2-3 years is suppose to be the expiration date on these things. I have never upgraded any hardware parts, they are still all stock.

I noticed the lack of discussion in OP regarding ASUS laptops and was curious as to a reason why? Are they poo poo computers (although mine has lasted a good while)?

Also I poking at the idea of getting a new gaming laptop (I believe my portable battery has finally taken a crap after 4 years, and the cooling design on this laptop just isn't cutting it any more). What's the go-to laptop right now?

EDIT: Would it be easier to update my graphics card or would this cause a colossal shitstorm with my ASUS inner-workings?

Why don't you just buy a new battery?

If you really want a new gaming laptop, there's a pretty good 15" Lenovo that I linked 2 pages back for around $1000. But if your current laptop is meeting all of your needs but is getting some poor battery life, you'd be better off just buying a new battery for now. After 4 years your capacity is definitely going to be low, but that can be fixed cheaply and easily (unless your laptop can't have its battery replaced I guess)

And no, you can't upgrade your laptop's graphics card, don't even try

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

e: My resolve is seriously wavering; I've been wanting to hold out for more HD5000 laptops so that I could enjoy better battery life will still being a mediocre gaming laptop, but the 410p is looking really nice. The $829 deal for the 1600x900 model goes on for another 7 days, so plenty of time to make up my mind I guess. Are we still looking at late September/October before we start seeing more HD 5000 laptops?

etcetc posted:

Okay, new budget:

Moderate gaming on it (LoL, Civ V, moderately demanding FPS's), but mostly focused on ergonomics. I'll be doing developer work on it and would like a lot of utility. I would like the ability to draw things on it for note taking. Nice keyboard, battery life, speakers (optional) etc. Any suggestions? $700 is my budget.

Oh, and I might need to dual boot or run a virtual machine on it, so I'm hoping for some decent hard drive space (at least 500 gb to work with).

Thanks. I do not know much about laptops, but there appears to be all this hype about haswell and stuff. Suggestions are appreciated.

The Y410p from the previous page is $770, just outside of your budget but it would satisfy your needs. If you need to go cheaper, head over to techbargains and keep an eye out for a good deal and then ask about it here. "Moderately demanding FPS's" and "$700 is my budget" conflict with each other, as you'll need a dedicated GPU for moderately demanding FPS's but good dedicated GPUs tend to be on laptops that are more than $700. If you're willing to settle for a laptop that is inside of your budget but can still play a lot of interesting games except maybe FPS's, then you have a lot of options.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 15, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

etcetc posted:

The weight and battery life do seem pretty shoddy though, I will be using this for college. In retrospect ergonomics are more important to me.

If those things are important to you, then get something with a 3rd generation Intel processor and Intel graphics. You probably won't be playing any demanding FPS games, but you'll probably still be able to play Civ V and other games that have lighter graphical requirements. All of these laptops will also have tons of benchmarks already, so you'll be able to see what kind of FPS you can expect on whatever games you want.

For a college laptop I wouldn't suggest getting a discrete GPU

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 15, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sports posted:

To those about to drop real earth :tenbux: on a Clevo/Sager/Alienware/Lenovo W530-
I've never met a redeemable person who has bought this. The people in my classes with them tend to help the curve dramatically. Most heavy computing applications are taken up on a Air or MBP; or even one of the many, very tolerable non-Apple laptops available. I'm talking science and engineering grad school stuff; MHD simulations and Inventor and every other intensive thing imaginable.

This isn't even close to accurate, so I'm assuming that your post is anecdotal. Apple has a very small share of the scientific computing market. That said, you still probably shouldn't get an Alienware or whatever. The y410p, on the other hand, is just fine; it's not a gaming laptop, it just happens to have a discrete GPU and is pretty cheap despite that.

quote:

The whole point of a laptop is portability. Companies are doing there damnedest to make computing quick, elegant, and convenient

:saddowns:

InstantInfidel posted:

You've already sacrificed performance. Any game designed to run on a console that comes out post-Xbone/PS4 is already guaranteed to run like dogshit on anything but the highest end.

That doesn't really follow; the Xbone/PS4 are still months away, and judging by previous consoles the real graphics busters probably won't show up for at least a year if not two, which is about the usable shelf life of a discrete GPU anyway. And that line of logic only really applies to PC ports of console games, but there aren't too many of those when you look at the PC gaming market as a whole. SLI laptops are still a bad idea, upgraded GPUs are still a bad idea, but things like the y410p are still a pretty good deal and will get plenty of use for a good long while (even if people like me are going to hold out for more Haswell HD5000 laptops to come out).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JimboMaloi posted:

This thread is insane, but here's a recommendation request. My friend's laptop just died on him and he's looking to get a new machine. Requirements are <$1000 and able to play Civ 5 and Paradox games. My inclination is to tell him to tough it out and wait for Haswell Lenovos, but he's working a construction job that regularly leaves him in hotel rooms in small town Western Canada, so he gets pretty bored. Should he go for a T430 or something? Just grit his teeth and bear it?

The T430 is a solid purchase, especially since it's massively discounted right now, and everyone who owns one seems to love it (for the price; there are some complaints). I'd say just go for that. He could wait for more Haswells, but I'm not convinced that this is worth it in his case.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Acer 11.6" Chromebook is $130 (refurb) right now. If you or someone you know just needs a laptop for e-mail, word processing, and internet access, buy this. There was a bunch of school chat over the last few pages; these laptops would be perfect for school. The only downside is that you won't be playing Crysis 2 on your $130 laptop :qq:

The biggest upside is that you probably don't have to worry about breaking it if your documents are being backed up with Google Drive or whatever

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251317512262?_trksid=p2050601.m1256&_trkparms=%26clkid%3D597256434157804169&_qi=RTM1532102

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 17, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

minusX posted:

Seems pretty great, but I'm studying CS and not seeing some IDEs for Chrome OS anywhere

The Chrome OS is based on Linux. You can either install your own favorite Linux distro or use one of many online IDEs, such as Cloud9. Chrome OS is pretty ideal for CS if you're willing to forego the use of specific IDEs that might not be available to you

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Brannock posted:

I'm going to be starting school to finish a degree in CS in a couple weeks. I've been eyeing the y410p from Lenovo but honestly, my desktop is more than beefy enough to handle pretty much all my needs, so the y410p seems a little bit overkill.

I value battery life, weight, and price. Don't care one bit about gaming capability - or at least, capability to play games made this decade. If I want to game I can just come home and sit at my desk. I also don't really care too much about disk storage space, and don't need a SSD. Pretty much all I want from my laptop is so I can do homework on campus without having to resort to a computer lab. It needs to be able to compile, crunch large amounts of data, and handle 3D graphics no problem. Expected lifespan is ~2.5 years.

Are there any other laptops I should be looking at, or should I go ahead and grab the Y410p? I was thinking about getting one of those but I wasn't sure if they'd meet my computing requirements. Does an Intel i3 still cut it those days? The 4-cell battery on the Thinkpad also concerns me.

I was also thinking about a Chromebook like some people mentioned upthread, but I don't know if they'll have enough muscle for what I'll need out of it for the next four semesters.

The Chromebook sounds perfect for you. How much muscle do you think you'll need? Are we talking more than 500GB of data at a time, lots of graphic design, what? There's probably a good chance that your school has online computing resources that you can access from your Chromebook if you're worried that it won't be a good enough number cruncher.

Brut posted:

So is there anything out yet that's: HD5000 or HD5100 (or if not, HD4600), IPS screen and does not come with a dedicated graphics card? Or are we still stuck waiting for T440 and hoping it has an IPS option?

Pretty much, yes. Everyone who wants an HD5000+ with an IPS screen just has to wait

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 19, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Superterranean posted:

The Sager NP2740 has the HD5200 and an IPS screen. Only has a 4cell battery though.

And it's $1200, which is a little crazy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

Someone asked about external GPU's a few pages back and got unfairly shot down. DIY external GPU's are totally a thing and an option worth considering. Yes, even with just an ExpressCard port. You're looking at spending about ~$140+whatever you want to spend on a full-size desktop video card to able to have your cake and eat it too.

This is a stupid concept on its face; not only do you need to pay hundreds of dollars to do it, but you're going to be limited by whatever Frankenstein connection you're using to hook up your laptop to a video card on your desk, so the performance isn't going to be nearly as good as the equivalent desktop. Aren't all of these ePCIe solutions only 1x on top of that? For the same money you could probably just build a superior desktop

So yes, a solution exists, but it's still not something that you should ever do unless you're getting the equipment for free or something

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gobbeldygook posted:

Of course the performance isn't as good as a desktop, that's not the point. It's an alternative to buying a hulking gaming laptop. eGPU's handily beat gaming laptops (at least in synthetic tests) because of the performance gulf between a full-size graphics card and a cut-down mobile card. The equipment cost is under $150 + a video card of your choice; you are not going to build a superior desktop for that amount of money. Comparing the performance increase gained via an eGPU to spending that amount on upgrading your desktop assumes the person has a desktop to upgrade.

So you can carry around your small & light laptop all day then go home, plug in your eGPU, and have greater gaming performance for less money than if you had bought a dedicated gaming laptop. Given how heavily small notebooks without discrete graphics are pimped in this thread, it's totally something for a goon with an x230 to consider.

At PCIe x1 and what is effectively a beefed up USB cable, I would be surprised if this kind of setup with a consumer-level graphics card ($200 or less) achieved anything more than what is already possible with the HD5200. And don't forget to purchase a power supply and a monitor and :suicide:

And you absolutely could buy an equivalent-power desktop for the same cost. You're already purchasing a power supply and a monitor. A $200 video card running on this setup is going to be equivalent to a $50 video card on a normal desktop. That covers the cost of a CPU, motherboard, and RAM. The $150 external device more than covers the cost of a case and a hard drive. Oh wait, maybe I shouldn't be including the cost of a case since people are expected to just have a power supply and a video card sitting out on a desk?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mutation posted:

So that Acer Chromebook is actually pretty nifty, I'm surprised how good of a Laptop it is for $130 and how many of my needs are being met with what is basically a web browser.

And then I installed Ubuntu on it for curiosity's sake and... Other than it desperately needing a Ram upgrade (which looks easy enough to do), it runs really well on it! Hell, it can play FTL!

edit: AND KILLING FLOOR.

double edit: Not like playing vidgames on it was something I was looking for, I just wanted to see how far you can push the hardware. And if it can play Unreal 2 engine games, it's much farther than I thought for $130.

That's actually delightfully impressive; I would guess that FTL would be fine (even my 7 year-old Dell Inspiron running Ubuntu can play that), but Killing Floor? That's really cool for such a small and cheap product

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fyallm posted:

Would this laptop be fine to be a primary computer for music, browsing internet, office products, no real gaming, media device, watching dvd's etc:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+...15#tab=overview

Would something else near this pricepoint be better?

You'd probably be better off buying a cheap Chromebook, and then if you want to watch DVDs buying an external DVD drive. Total cost would be about $200, or you could skip the dvd player (who uses DVDs still?). According to a guy in the laptop thread, it can play FTL and Killing Floor (surprisingly) with no issues, so no "real gaming" but still pretty nifty for such a cheap package.

It's refurbished like the Dell that you linked to, but that's really not a huge issue for a laptop that's less than $200 to begin with.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 22, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

Aren't you paraphrasing out of context? The guy with the chrome book seems to be talking about doing these things on Ubuntu which requires less overhead for the OS than windows. The guy you are replying to linked a windows computer...

So? Linux would satisfy all of his needs and doesn't add anything to the cost of the computer

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Profondo Rosso posted:

Hi! Could use some help everyone. I need a laptop for college. Was originally going to get the u430 but I am leaving in 6 days and apparently they are never going to release them :argh:

It seems my options that have decent build quality, haswell, and a 14ish inch touch screen are pretty much non existent atm.
Usage will be light gaming, typing, watching movies etc

How light will the gaming be? Are we talking FTL and older titles or do you need to be able to play Dishonored or whatever? If the former, get a Chromebook.

6 days isn't enough time for shipping a laptop, so I hope you're okay with using the computer lab for a little while.

Do you really need a touch screen? Graphic artists love them but pretty much everyone else never really uses the touchscreen and would be better suited with a normal screen. It'll be cheaper and expands your options significantly (because now you just need Haswell with decent build quality). If you need a touch screen, then the Dell XPS 12 is supposed to be pretty awesome, but you're paying a huge premium for the swiveling touchscreen, so you'd better be sure that it's what you want.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 22, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

agarjogger posted:

OSX takes about five minutes to learn for a longtime Windows user. It's really the same thing except more satisfying.
Also I probably shouldn't be aggressively recommending a $1000/1099 computer when you haven't mentioned your budget. But you haven't mentioned your budget.

Yeah, this isn't true. OSX is actually closer to Linux than Windows, and as a long-time user of both Windows and Linux I'm still not used to OSX after a year of use. The interface just feels really clunky compared to the other two, possibly because I'm still not used to the different keyboard.

What I'm saying is that it's not for everyone

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cthulhuite posted:

So I've gone back about 20 pages and I can't find any real answers to this question. I'm looking for a small-ish laptop (14-15") that's nice and light with a good graphics card. The Razer seemed perfect, but apparently people are having issues with theirs? Has anyone got one that can give me an "Is it worth the price?" answer and if not if there something around the same form factor. I'll be lugging it around everywhere for work, and if i'm buying a new laptop I may as well replace my aging home computer, so two birds/one stone.

The IdeaPad Y410p is pretty good/cheap, a lot of people seem to like them. It's still portable but definitely strong enough to replace your old desktop. ~ $850 for the nicer screen (1600x900 instead of 1368x768), and if you want an SSD then for about $10 you can move the slow 5400RPM 1TB drive into your DVD slot (although you'll no longer have an optical drive; this isn't a problem for most users).

The Razer supposedly has poo poo build quality, and even if they had good build quality they're still too fuckin' expensive for what you get.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AnonymousGuest posted:

Press the ON button, laptop hums 1sec and turn itself OFF.

Does the battery charge at all? There have been many reported cases of ruined laptop batteries from one vrius or another.

What kind of laptop is it?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Disco Nixon posted:

Oh okay, it was really the UI that was putting me off. It looks like an iPhone.

Yeah, you can fix the UI. Windows 8 also has a lot of features that make it consume less power than 7, so you'll get more battery life. These are good things.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

signalnoise posted:

OK so serious suggest me a laptop post: So if Haswell is the best option for people who want to get into anything that's processor-intensive, what's the best for someone who isn't going to be doing much that's processor intensive, and just wants the best battery life? Is Haswell also going to be what I want for that? I am looking hard at getting a new laptop, right now I have a Nexus 10 and a bluetooth keyboard, but if I run into anything that requires me to run scripts in excel I'm boned. What I will likely need for upcoming classes is Excel with scripting, Word, and Eclipse IDE. Beyond that I just want the most battery life possible.

Yes; Haswell laptops tend to have a significantly better battery life than equivalent Ivy Bridge laptops. My guess is that an i3 Haswell would be what you want (but we have to wait for more laptops with these and i5s and i7s and no dGPUs to actually come out)

Russian Bear posted:

For every day use how small is too small? I was looking at 13 inch ultra books, but maybe i can be ok with a 12 or even an 11? Anyone have experience sizing down? Is 11 just too small resolution wise?

I do some online stream watching and have been fine with a 14 inch screen, but i will probably just start connecting to a tv.

Do you have a store in your town that sells laptops? You can probably go see for yourself how an 11-inch screen feels. Personally I think they're fine

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

Ok, I think I am looking at something like
IdeaPad Y510p: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/
or something from MSI? They are apparently known for 'gaming laptops', to which some of the bells and whistles might be too much for my needs. They also have way too many models, which confuse me.
Example Model: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...#productDetails

Once again, I want something that isn't too bulky (not quite a "desktop replacement"), can handle moderate gaming (like Dota 2 or your latest MMO/skyrim type game) preferably on higher settings, has a 15 inch screen (not higher nor lower), handles heat well, and will get some OK battery life when not used for gaming. The y510p looks like an excellent choice, but I have heard the battery is it's weakest point. I would also lean towards getting the dual gpu version, which might lead to other inconveniences.

Any input/recommendations/stuff I should look at or avoid? I might just bite the bullet for the Y510p if I can't find something comparable that will handle some of the factors I listed better. Budget: $1000 give or take a few hundy

I would strongly suggest that you consider the Y410p instead. It'll be less bulky and will actually run games better (smaller screen resolution on the same hardware) than the y510p, and it's cheaper. The difference between a 14" and 15.6" screen is hardly noticeable.

The $829 y410p model is what you'd want, and then buy your own SSD and slap that in there. If you need more disk space, put the 1TB 5400RPM drive into your optical bay (the enclosures cost around $10-15, and if you badly need to be able to read DVDs then external DVD drives are around $30). It'll meet basically all of your requirements, but yes, battery life on the y-series hasn't been the greatest (~4-5 hours). This is the trade-off of having a dGPU and only a 6-cell battery.

Do not ever get a dual GPU laptop. This has always been a bad idea.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

What exactly would I have to do to replace the 1TB with a 240gb+ SSD drive, and use the 1TB in the optical bay as storage if I were to get a y410p or y510p? It would be a very basic and easy install, and I would probably need to reinstall the OS and stuff onto the SSD, right?

It would be a very easy and basic install. You would need to reinstall the OS onto your SSD, but you should want to get rid of all of the pre-installed bloat anyway, so that's a wash.

1) Open the panel covering the drive (get a screwdriver)
2) Remove the drive
3) Put the drive in the enclosure and screw it in place
4) Unscrew the optical drive and pull it out
5) Push the enclosure into the optical bay, screw it in
6) Put your SSD in the old HDD's place
7) Install OS onto your SSD, either with an external DVD drive or a USB stick

Maybe 1-2 hours total. It's extremely easy, does not require any specialized knowledge so long as you're smart enough to be able to use a screwdriver. There are a hundred million guides online for doing this with whatever specific laptop you happen to have, too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ValleyOfWalls posted:

Thanks for this. Looks like I was maybe going overkill and the y510p would still do everything I want.

Yes, I think that this is a better choice than what you had picked out initially. The y510p and the y410p are solid choices for gaming. Get the 1TB 5400RPM version with the upgraded screen (should be the second least expensive choice), swap it into the optical drive, and put an SSD where the HDD was.

Now we could try to convince you to get the y410p instead of the y510p; it will be lighter and will actually play a little better (smaller screen resolution = less work for your GPU). Honestly, I challenge the assertion that 15.6" vs 14" is going to make any difference in your enjoyment. If you're hauling this around every day then you want it to be as light as possible, and getting a smaller screen is only going to boost your laptop's gaming longevity.

BabyRyoga posted:

Yeah, but it's more of a "I need this now so i'm willing to pay $70 extra to have the option of SLI" purchase, because the not SLI model has a 3 week wait on Lenovo's site. I intend to actually swap it out and use the ultrabay for the 1TB drive it comes with, while swapping in an SSD for the primary disk.

I'm thinking about this SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147193

Last thing, if I wanted to double the RAM on this, how hard would it be to throw in 2 more 4gb sticks, and which sticks would I need to buy on newegg's site?

It's actually $80 more. So you're basically just paying $80 to get the laptop a little sooner? I guess that's a thing that people do, but what's the rush?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Costco.com had the y510p with 16gb ram, 2x750 GPUs, 1TB drive with 24GB SSD, and the ultrabay blu-ray burner for $1199. I ordered it last Thursday but it looks like they already pulled it from their site.

edit: forgot it also had the small SSD upgrade.

What? Does the second GPU take up the ultrabay slot in the y510p?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Viscardus posted:

I should preface this by saying that while I read the OP and tried to do some research, I'm absolutely hopeless when it comes to understanding computer hardware, so I apologize in advance for that.

To make a long story short, I'm going to law school on the other side of the country and I figure it's about time to replace my 3-4 year old laptop. I recently built a desktop that I love but am sadly going to be leaving behind, meaning that I'd like to be able to play games on my new laptop. That said, I'm not foolish enough to want to get a really high-performance gaming laptop, and I certainly don't need to be able to play every new game on max settings (I don't play photo-realistic shooters and the like anyway), especially given that I'll have a pretty good desktop back home.

I'd be using the laptop for school, too, so naturally portability is an issue (though personally I've never really minded carrying around larger laptops - battery life and durability are better measures of portability to me).

I guess ultimately what I'm trying to figure out is whether there's a sweet spot for performance before it starts to really become not worth it (more in terms of trade-offs like battery life than price, though obviously price matters too). I realize that there's been some related discussion on this very page in the thread, but I read that article Doctor rear end in a top hat linked and couldn't really find one that stood out to me. Maybe I'm being silly and the Y510p or Y410p would be a really good choice, though.

You're already making bad decisions by going to law school, so this is your chance to start making good decisions by not buying a hardcore gaming laptop. It sounds like you're already on the right track on that front.

The Y410p is definitely a sweet spot for price/performance/battery life/portability. I think that will change once we start setting more laptops with HD5000+ integrated graphics; suddenly battery life and portability won't come at a significant performance cost. The Y410p is solid, though

Also, why can't you ship your desktop to school? Are you at least going to try to sell it?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Viscardus posted:

I considered shipping it, but it seemed kind of risky based on the admittedly small amount of research I did. Plus I'm not going to be moving permanently - I'll be back home over Christmas and during (at least next) summer, when I'll probably end up getting at least as much use out of it as I would during the school year. If you want to make a case for why shipping it makes sense, though, I'd be glad to consider it. It does suck that I'm getting a lot less use out of it than I would otherwise, but I don't really see a great way around it.

Besides, like I said, I need a new laptop anyway. I personally don't feel like I'm losing much by going with a midsize laptop capable of some gaming over a smaller, more mobile one.

If you anticipate not using the desktop much anyway, then just sell it. Dude, you're about to take on thousands of dollars in debt, sell that loving desktop if you're just going to be using a laptop anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Whale Cancer posted:

I need a cheap laptop. I'll only be using it to surf the web and mainly to type MS office reports in a vehicle. Should I be looking at used older thinkpads? Something with WinXP would be fine.

Get one of the $150 refurbished chromebooks. Don't get anything more expensive than that, you don't need it.