Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
A friend is looking for a gaming laptop. He will be bringing it places but will usually have it connected to the wall. Budget is between 1.3 - 1.5k USD.

Is this Walmart deal the best option or is there something else that might be better? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-L...0F9US/484883807

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I don't know about uninstalling it but you should be able to install a clean version of Windows without needing to use your MSDN subscription. There should be a license key somewhere on the laptop and you can use that and one of the methods here to install a clean version of Windows: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, the M1/2/3 Macbooks are so good that unless you need to use an OS that isn't MacOS for some particular reason, it is the best buy for most people.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

People were posting asking for similar to this so I figured I'd post it.

Thinkpad P14, 7840U, 64GB of RAM, 1TB SSD, OLED 1800p 14", ~$1000

For a portable developer laptop its a really really good deal. iGPU would be pretty good for light gaming too.

https://slickdeals.net/f/17346063-lenovo-thinkpad-p14s-14-2-8k-oled-ryzen-7-pro-7840u-64gb-lpddr5-1tb-ssd-1009?src=frontpage

Ooh, this is great! I actually have a meeting with my boss later today and one of the things we were going to talk about was a new work laptop. This is basically exactly what I wanted and should be within budget.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

If you put it together it will give you a far out ship date, historically that time is halved or so after you put in the order. Obv, nothing is a guarantee but if it says like April 10th I'd actually expect it end of March.

Boss-man supposedly put in a request to his boss on this for me! Our company is normally a Dell shop, but this deal makes it cheaper than the Dells that usually get ordered and has better specs, to boot!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

Knowing I saved a faceless, anonymous corporation a couple hundred dollars will keep my soul burning bright.

:lol:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

bushisms.txt posted:

Do you know of a way to mitigate this, is it just the configuration of this laptop? do you know anything similar that doesn't have that issue?

It’s because it’s a laptop. They run into thermal limits very quickly because there just isn’t enough heatsink mass and not enough fans to move the heat.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

bushisms.txt posted:

Thanks for the advice🙏🏽 Would a 4080 be safer? or should I just stick with the 4090?

Like Lockback mentioned, the 4090 has a better perf/watt so you are better off sticking with it. This means that at any given power level, the 4090 will offer more performance than a 4080. The more power a component consumes, the more heat it produces. Just lower the power limit to a point that it won't throttle. You will also want to put a fps limit on games, if only to limit how much power the CPU consumes. The less power consumed, the less heat produced.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Annath posted:

I'm thinking about getting a laptop, having not had one for a while.

I'm looking for:

1. Playing games at medium/med-high settings

2. Don't need more than 1080p on a laptop

3. Would like OLED, but not a priority. LCD or whatever is fine

4. Has a full keyboard (ie, includes numpad)

5. Has pretty good battery life

6. Doesn't weigh a million pounds

Of those, ability to play games, screen quality, and weight are most important.

I'm hoping not to break the bank on this, but I'm going to save up for it so I'm not looking for a $500 budget laptop either.

Any suggestions? I'm sure there's not going to be any one device that checks all the boxes, but having an idea of what to look at would be nice.

I would think something that has a numpad and good battery life is going to weight a lot because those are competing interests (size vs weight). But, I am not a laptop expert. In any case, the usual recommendation of a gaming laptop that won't break the bank is something on sale from the Lenovo Legion line.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I do not recommend using the same machine for your job and your play.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mental Hospitality posted:

I'd keep the gaming rig and just get a super cheap laptop to take to work. It would get all day battery life, probably, and be thin and quiet. The only reason I have a gaming laptop is because I don't have the space or budget to build the desktop I want. Plus playing games while laying in bed is nice. You can get some perfectly functuonal machines for right around the 500 dollar mark. Maybe even less.

You can also use Sunshine to stream from your desktop to your laptop, steam deck, or whatever else, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

change my name posted:

You know most people in media only use one device for everything, right? Most of my friends work and game on the same PC, corporate VPNs exist for a reason

It’s more I don’t want the corporate monitoring and anti malware software on my personal machine.