Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey I just placed an order for a Toshiba Chromebook.

Is it worthwhile, or should I cancel the order (hasn't been processed yet) and get something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Fetus Tree posted:

You should give some detail as to what you want to use it for so that people can more aptly answer your question

Writing papers for college. Music (Spotify). Videos (primarily via my plex server). I don't expect to play much in the way of games, but like a SNES emulator or some version of ToME would be cool.

I mean don't get me wrong, it'd be great to have a nice Windows laptop, but my budget right now is like $350 and I have a desktop for games, so its more the portable research and writing functions I'm looking at.

I have tons of Dropbox storage, and I can get a 32GB SD card to expand the memory.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So I installed xfce on my Toshiba Chromebook 2 by way of Crouton, and it's pretty neat.
However I can't for the life of me figure out how to install Chrome, and the stock browser thing is terrible.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Hey I just got a new laptop, and I'd like to wipe it cleaner to an OEM install of windowsill, to get rid of the bloat Acer stuck on it.

I have the product key, but this laptop doesn't have a disc drive.

I was wondering, if I use Window's 10s built in system restore utility, will it just give me the bloatware back? I don't have a USB drive to hand, but if absolutely needed I can go out and buy one.

I'd just prefer not to if I can.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I bought this thing and have been perfectly happy with it, although my goal was an affordable gaming laptop that was less weighty, and less expensive, than those gigantic 17-inch Desktop Replacement ones.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Question:

I'm selling a Windows laptop. With Microsoft's Windows 10 system, how do I wipe the laptop but keep the license valid for the buyer? And can I install LibreOffice for the buyer after wiping without logging into my own MS account?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

sirbeefalot posted:

Windows' built in reset has an option to remove everything, and there's a secure erase check as well. If you do that and set it up with a local account you can install whatever before selling it. If you don't connect to the internet during initial setup it should allow local account creation (and should allow you to delete all the shortcuts for Candy Crush et al before they're downloaded for the first time).

Awesome, thanks!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm thinking about getting a laptop, having not had one for a while.

I'm looking for:

1. Playing games at medium/med-high settings

2. Don't need more than 1080p on a laptop

3. Would like OLED, but not a priority. LCD or whatever is fine

4. Has a full keyboard (ie, includes numpad)

5. Has pretty good battery life

6. Doesn't weigh a million pounds

Of those, ability to play games, screen quality, and weight are most important.

I'm hoping not to break the bank on this, but I'm going to save up for it so I'm not looking for a $500 budget laptop either.

Any suggestions? I'm sure there's not going to be any one device that checks all the boxes, but having an idea of what to look at would be nice.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Kibner posted:

I would think something that has a numpad and good battery life is going to weight a lot because those are competing interests (size vs weight). But, I am not a laptop expert. In any case, the usual recommendation of a gaming laptop that won't break the bank is something on sale from the Lenovo Legion line.

Good point.

Weight could probably bump down a few slots... Actually, having given it some thought, I'd prioritize this way:

1. Performance for price

2. Screen quality

3. Overall price

4. Ability to add/upgrade RAM and Storage

5. Full keyboard

6. Weight

7. Battery life

It'll be plugged in most of the time so battery life is actually not that big a deal.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
After browsing Amazon a bit, I'm beginning to realize that the fact that the last time I owned a laptop was long enough ago that my expectations on price are outdated.

Even completely discarding the keyboard, weight, and battery life, just getting one with a good display, a good gfx card, and halfway decent storage is going to run me closer to $2K than $1K.

By the time I've saved up that much (my budget doesn't allow for much "disposable income" each month) the latest and greatest on the market will have changed :v:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Twerk from Home posted:

You should be looking at budget gaming laptops on sale and ignoring anything else. Something like this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/gigabyte-aorus-15-6-144hz-gaming-laptop-fhd-intel-i5-13500h-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4050-512gb-ssd-black/6534579.p.

If you have flexibility try to get to a 4060 or higher, but that's going to involve a lot of discount hunting. It's also hilarious to me that this is where Best Buy's "performance meter" shows a 4050:

That linked one looks good, except for the 8GB RAM. I'd think nowadays 16GB would be the minimum.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Well, now I have some good ones to use as a point of reference.

I'm getting another certification for work this month that will probably net me a raise, so I'll start socking away some money while I think about things.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Lockback posted:

I think $1,000 to $1,500 is a very reasonable price for your wants, but yes, you will need to comprimise on a couple things.

That gigabyte is ok, but a little overpriced. The 4050 is nice but I like it more at the $700 level.

This is a decent example of a lower priced option, 4060 and 16GB $1000
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...black/6571057.p

This slim gives you OLED, lots of power, super light. No numpad $1,050. probably what I'd get right now. Note the RAM is not upgradable.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...-grey/6559123.p

This meets your criteria for everything but OLED (but it does have a nice screen and 32GB or RAM). $1,179
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1745674-REG/lenovo_82wk0082us_16_legion_pro_5i.html

Oooh... That last one looks perfect, and they even have an option to pay in 4 payments which would basically be what I'd be putting away to save for it anyway.

I don't use any credit cards so I save up for all my big purchases :)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Worf posted:

these arent mutually exclusive concepts fwiw

I made some bad decisions as a stupid kid living on his own for the first time which was very tough to get out of. So I am now very strict with my finances.

You should only be charging something to a credit card if you already have the money to immediately pay it off anyway :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Twerk from Home posted:

Sure but the installment payment thing you motioned is the exact same thing as credit cards, and you've got people digging their own graves in the same way: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/20/business/economy/pay-later-credit-debt.html

This isn't the thread for it and I'll shut up past this post, but buy now pay later is explicitly targeting a lower income, more vulnerable population than credit cards are: https://www.vice.com/en/article/4axxpq/you-can-justify-everything-i-became-addicted-to-buy-now-pay-later

Just for clarification, the poo poo you can get on Amazon by Affirm and other companies like it are indeed exactly like credit cards, or sometimes worse (higher interest). The 4 payment thing is 4 set payments interest free, and isn't offered most places. Its basically reverse layaway.

Anywho, not the place for that.

E: lol I just realized that the last laptop I had was old enough to still have a disc drive

Annath fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 12, 2024