Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I need a new laptop

This laptop will be a work laptop that I will also use to play WoW.

It needs to do basic Office (Word) and browser things. 99% of the time it will be on my desk. I don't plan to lug it around much at all.

I would like to spend $1,000.00 or so. (It's a business expense!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Got a Yoga 2 Pro (13.3") based on this thread. It better good!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Here is my dream: a medium or small convertible laptop with a dedicated graphics card (for WoW), bluetooth and MAYBE the ability to use mobile data.

Does such a thing exist.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just tested wow on my work yoga 2 pro with an integrated card and it was really really bad and the computer was about 200 degrees on 800x600

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Right you need a gpu.

Also I need one to be convertible and small because it's going to on my lap behind my desk while I play at work using Bluetooth k\m and using my phones data. What laptop would be good for this?

I'm a degenerate.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's what I kind of figured

No, my dream is dying.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thanks mate.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

dbcooper posted:

What about some small PC (Intel NUC?) with a USB bluetooth adapter you can fit in a backpack and deploy/plug in behind your desk/cubicle that can "cast" the screen to a tablet you sit on your lap?

PC and tablet are on the tethered WiFi network from your phone, the tablet is using a remote desktop/screencast app to display the video from the PC and most of the heat is dissipated by the NUC which is on the floor/suspended behind your desk. The bluetooth keyboard and mouse are paired to the PC so as long as you can get a good video update rate from the PC to tablet, it should work?

It appears Intel is giving away four new i7 gaming NUCs to people who will tell them how they'll use it. I'm certain they'd be interested in your workplace gaming adventures ;)

Edit: Looks like most (all?) NUCs have Bluetooth built-in

I thought about that but I also want to play in my carpool rides .

I ditched my convertible requirement and went with the one recommended by wirecutter.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Success. I've been playing wow at work on the Wirecutter approved laptop.

Thanks thread.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol at registry mechanic and spy bot search and destroy . That brings back painful memories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mid town hotels in nyc start at around 700.