Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The thing is, if you are going to buy a Windows 8 notebook as primarily a media consumption device, you DO want the highest screen resolution possible. Yes, the only thing that scales properly are metro apps, but you are going to be much more inclined to use metro apps on a single display small screened notebook than you are a desktop.

I hardly spend any time in "metro" on my desktop, but I do see myself using it much more on a 11" or 13" notebook. So, a high DPI display would be a huge asset there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cream_Filling posted:

But then you're entering the "why not just buy an iPad for a half to a quarter of the price?" zone.

You can't run steam games on an iPad.

I already have both a Nexus 10 and a Nexus 7 for the roles of a tablet. I want to replace my aging E1505 Core 2 duo 15" notebook that has a 1680x1050 screen. 1080p screens are hardly much of an upgrade at this point.

Give me a 13" chassis with a screen on par with my Nexus 10 and we'll be talking. Integrated Haswell graphics will be plenty to run all of the indy steam games I've gotten through humble bundle as well as some more demanding games at lower resolutions. Meanwhile, if I want to do a bit of web-browsing or watch an HDX vudu movie on the same device, I won't be let down by the display.

To put it another way, notebooks are 6-8 year purchases for me and I really don't want to lock myself into last gen DPIs when better ones are finally coming out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That Zenbook is exactly what I want. Now I only hope I don't have to wait half the year for it to come out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You absolutely want to use Windows 8 with Haswell. You are going to lose some battery benefits if you even use Windows 7.

Windows 8 aligns CPU activity such that the processor can stay in a sleep state longer.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6355/intels-haswell-architecture/3

Interface aside, Win 8 is a really good thing behind the scenes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, these things are a pretty low margin business and the subsidies that Intel gives are probably pretty drat attractive to pad the bottom line.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The real question is HD4400 or HD5000? If I can get an HD5000 GPU in there, I will be all over that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not sure how 50%+ battery life increase could disappoint anyone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The current theory from Anandtech is all the high end (and therefore higher resolution) ultrabooks are waiting for Win 8.1 due to its better handling of higher DPIs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DrDork posted:

As much as I'd like to believe it, I simply don't see a lot of manufacturers picking super-high resolution displays for anything but niche products.

That's the thing though. The ones we are waiting on (Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus, Asus Zenbook Infinity) are high DPI models.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Microsoft announced today that it will be shipping RTM of 8.1 to OEMs at the end of August. So, I would expect many of the higher end devices some people have been waiting for to hit around the late September timeframe. That fits since Asus has said Q3 for the Zenbook Infinity.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I'm also going to make a subjective blanket statement and say it's not possible to make one that's good.

Really, it's "not possible to make one that's good and affordable.

There are ways to deal with the thermal issues that could probably make the thing not suck, it would just likely make the thing too expensive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One leg up the Zenbook infinity has is the HD5100 graphics as opposed to the HD4400 in the Sony.

I think at even 1600x900, this will have issues with semi-modern games.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bob Morales posted:

A lot of older machines can't play web video for poo poo. Examples are the lower clocked ULV Core Solo and Core Duo chips. The codecs and everything have to be perfect. Another example is my girlfriends white MacBook. I can hear that thing spin the fans up from the other side of the house when she's watching a video on the latest Spirulina supplements while dropping frames.

My brother is about to retire his Acer Timeline from 2008 because it can't play 720p skat3r vids. The integrated graphics in a lot of the Core 2 machines are garbage. They'll play low-res YouTube but when you get into other sides and HD stuff they're going to choke and sputter.

Choke and sputter yes, but not buffering. Buffering is going to be almost completely down to the internet connection.

Not that it matters how fast your internet connection is though. I have 35/35 FiOS and I can't play Youtube half the time on an Ivy Bridge i5 desktop due to Google and Verizon finger pointing at each other as to who is the blame for videos stopping.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I know I've been re-evaluating what it is I want in a notebook.

Right now I have an old e1505 Core 2 Duo with an X1400 in it. It spent most of its life as a couch browser, but since I've gotten a tablet, it sits idle. Both my Nexus 10 and Nexus 7 (2013) are better web consuming devices than it.

All along I've been saying "I want something light and portable and super high DPI" which meant I was waiting with bated breath for the Zenbook Infinity. But, I've been trying to think what role that notebook would fill? The big thing I was looking for is light gaming on the couch/go which, even with the 5100, is a tall order on anything but indie games. To be sure, there are a ton of indie games I plan to play on it, but I also would want to be able to join in group games of Borderlands 2 that sometimes break out when my friends get together. While the 5100 could do that on lower settings, I find myself questioning if I'm really just putting form over function at this point.

If I'm going to use the notebook most for some form of mobile gaming, why do I need a super DPI screen? I already have my high DPI browsing devices in the form of my tablets. As far as portability goes, nearly anything is going to be better than my E1505 which is close to 7lbs and a thick slab.

So, long story short, I'm giving the Y410P a serious look right now. The 1600x900 screen is a step back from the 1680x1050 screen I currently have on the E1505, but not horribly so since the size is smaller. But the GT 750M in it should give me far more gaming flexibility.

It's a lot bulkier than an ultrabook, but 9 times out of 10 I'm going to be leaving the notebook at home and bringing a tablet instead unless I'm specifically bringing it to play games.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hadlock posted:

They're all Core 2 Duo which are fast enough for Youtube and basic steam games (think anything less intensive than Kerbal Space Program). Probably good enough for university for four years so long as your favorite game is Plants vs Zombies. They're all 2008-2009 era machines though.

It's funny you mention this because I decided earlier in the week "Well, if most of what I want to play on a notebook is indie steam games, maybe my C2D 1.6ghz Inspiron E1505 would be just fine."

I fire up one of the Telltale adventure games. Holy hell, it crawls and is unplayable. I fire up Bastion, well if I keep the resolution at minimum it's kinda playable but a bit jerky. I spot checked a few more with varying levels of success before giving up installing them.

It kind of blows my mind that these indie games are more resource intensive than early Source games (I was able to play HL2 on this notebook no problem), but I guess that's what 9 years of progress brings.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would start by cracking it open and removing the CMOS battery for 60 seconds to clear the bios.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dell announced their new latitude line yesterday.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/26/dell-latitude-7000-5000-3000/

The Latitude 5000 sounds like it might be a close competitor to the y510p and y410p as it offers similar features and discrete graphics (though they don't mention which discrete chip it's using yet) and you can get it with a four, six, or nine-cell battery.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DoesNotCompute posted:

I've got the current 5430 and want to snap it in half it's such a miserable pig of a laptop, the changes here look pretty nice. I feel like my experiences with Latitude laptops is entirely skewed by hulking encyrption software that my company puts on all of them though. It'd be interesting to run one with just a clean Win 7 install.

It looks like they really improved the bezel and general aesthetic of the 5000 range this time too. The last two generations since they stopped being thinkpad ripoffs have been really ugly.

I currently use a Latitude E5530 at work and it's been bulletproof for me. Not the lightest thing in the world, but great battery life and performance on the 9 cell battery.

Actually the only real issue I have with it is I sprung for the upgraded wireless (Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN) and our WAP hates it and drops constantly. People who have notebooks with the default option don't have issues.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I have a almost 7 year old e1505 and it's still in more or less mint condition. I'm on my second, going on 3rd battery, but everything about it functions just fine. Still absolutely fine for web, email, and YouTube.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mu Zeta posted:

Why can't they just copy Apple?

As with most things, patents and exclusivity agreements.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lenovo finally outs the T440 (along with a few others).

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/03/lenovo-thinkpad-t440s-t440-x240-s440-s540/

quote:

Diving right in, the 14-inch T440s represents a fairly modest upgrade, as the T431s already ushered in some fairly big design changes (buttonless trackpad, latchless lid, 180-degree hinge, et cetera). The T440s has all that too, except it makes the natural shift to Intel's fourth-generation Haswell processors, along with an optional NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M GPU (which won't be offered here in North America). The T440 is closely related, as you'd expect, with similar configuration options (optional touchscreens, up to 12GB of RAM and up to either a 1TB HDD or a 512GB SSD). The main difference is that the resolution on the T440 is also capped at 1,600 x 900, whereas the T440s goes up to 1080p. Also, the T440s is a good lighter than the T440 (read: half a pound less).

The T440s will go from $1,149, the T440 will start at $899 and the X240 will be priced from $1,099. All will be available in October.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Zenbook Infinity rebranded as the Zenbook UX301.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/04/asus-zenbook-ux301-hands-on/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedly

Still no word on price or release date, but it looks like you will be able to get it with a GT730M in some configurations.

quote:

Also revealed in that spoiler of a YouTube video: the UX301 comes standard with a 13.3-inch, 2,560 x 1,440 IPS touchscreen. On the inside, it combines a Haswell dual-core Core i7-4558U processor with 802.11ac WiFi, up to 512GB of solid-state storage and Intel Iris graphics -- basically, the best Intel has to offer short of a discrete GPU. If you do need more power, though, ASUS will also offer an NVIDIA GT 730M GPU on some models. Additionally, ASUS will sell a lower-end spinoff called the UX3012 (not pictured here), which will have generally the same design, but a lower-res, 1080p screen. Both will be available in white, along with a dark, navy blue

Anyone know how a 730M stacks up to a 750M? I just ordered a y410p on Monday. Though, i'm betting that the decked out version of this will be over $2k where I only spent $789 on the y410p.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My 5530 also has a nub style mouse. You just had to choose the upgraded keyboard when you configure it. Dual pointing keyboard is available with the 5430, 6430, and 6530 as well.

You have to go the fully customized route and don't pick any of the quick ship options. Only one of the latitude line that doesn't seem to have it is the 3330, but that's like because you can't do a customized build.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hadlock posted:

There's a very crude chart with the 730M and 750M on it (near the bottom) about 4 posts down from the OP

730 gets ~41fps and 750 gets ~46fps in BF3 @ med. 1366x768 medium 4xAF

The 730 is about 6 months old and the 750 is about 3 months on the market now.

Looks like it averages about 20fps higher on Bioshock Infinite across the board which is my personal benchmark, ok my faith in buying a y410p is not shaken.

Boner Slam posted:

What? Of course they do.

Edit: Please tell me they do Im gonna kill myself

See above, they do, just have to do a custom build.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

dissss posted:

I doubt the card is the issue, its more likely to be the antenna

Actually, most of the reading I've done on it indicates it's a driver issue. Apparently if you uninstall Intel Proset and roll back to the built in windows version of the driver (14.x), the wifi is fine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mutation posted:

So on the order status of my y410p, the estimated shipping date went from 9/25/2013 to 01/08/2014. :stare:

Mine has been bouncing all over the place. First it was 9/11, then it was 9/16, then 9/13, now it's 9/19.

So, I really don't know what the hell is going on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hcenvirons posted:

Does anyone know where to find the windows product key for lenovo's y410p? I ran into a pretty serious issue after migrating my data over to the SSD I ordered so I'm looking to download a new windows 8 install with my key. Except it doesn't appear to be on the body or in any of the provided documentation.

It's embedded in the bios. Windows install should detect it.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithcombs/archive/2012/11/16/windows-8-bios-keys-embedded-goodness.aspx

You have to be sure to install the exact same edition that was on there before though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Speaking of which, today I got an e-mail from Lenovo telling me that my shipment's been delayed but that I should expect it within 30 days from this notice (I ordered 12 days ago).

Thanks a million, Lenovo.

Yeah, I got that email too.

Then my y410p shipped the next day and should arrive Thursday. I think that email automatically fires out if they miss their original ship date estimate.

What's really amusing is Lenovo sent me a survey asking about my buying experience yesterday. I would think they would at LEAST wait until I got the thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

QuarkJets posted:

My Y410p has taken the following route according to UPS:

China
Japan
Alaska
Kentucky
California
Washington

Its destination is Hawaii. What the gently caress is wrong with you, UPS?

It must be plane buddies with mine. Only in my case it left for OH this afternoon from KY and I'm supposed to get it tomorrow in Pittsburgh.

What I thought was really odd is it didn't go through customs until it got to KY, I though that would have happened in AK.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I got my y410p last night and I'm overall pleased with it. Performance is great. After I updated the nvidia drivers, I had no problem at all running Borderlands 2 or Bioshock infinite at fairly maxed out settings at 1600x900. The exhaust gets quite hot while doing that (seriously, I think I could cook on it), but the chassis itself seems to be well insulated from that heat and it doesn't really warm up much on the top or bottom.

The screen is a bit tragic though. I was expecting TN, but I've seen better TN panels. You get too far above it, it washes out really quickly, too far below, the colors invert quickly. There's just a narrow band where things are just right. In games, I don't notice it as much, but I would probably be distracted watching movies or something on it. That's not what I bought it for though so I'm fine with that. I have two good quality IPS panels for mobile movie watching (Nexus 7 and Nexus 10).

Otherwise, the build quality seems fine for the price.

If i were to make two design changes, they would be this:

1) Put a 3200x1800 IPS screen in it. Gaming performance would be unaffected since you could run at 1600x900 pixel doubled, but it would be a whole nicer experience otherwise.

2) Have at least one rear USB port for mouse nano-receiver. I don't like it sticking out the side.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

arisu posted:

Is Optimus the ability to switch between video cards depending on what's being used? If so the y410p definitely has it. I'm on integrated graphics most of the time, and only switch to the nvidia while gaming.

I think what the y410p lacks is the ability to completely shutdown the 750m while it's not in use. It has switchable graphics, but the 750m is idling while on the integrated graphics rather than completely switched off.

I do find the ability to switch graphics useful as you noted though as it does help battery life a bit and also the IGP doesn't throttle while on battery power whereas the 750m does throttle pretty severely.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 23, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hadlock posted:

The big factory upgrade is the Advanced or Ultimate-N wifi. It's a huge step up in range/speed and worth the price.

You know, when I was specing out my work notebook, I opted into the Ultimate-N and it's been nothing but a nightmare with our access points. People with the base dell wireless have no issues connecting and staying connected, but mine will drop and refuse to reconnect without a reboot after a few hours (and sometimes a reboot doesn't solve it.)

I know it has to be the AP's fault, but I just find it amusing that this is always the default recommendation that may not always work out in the real world.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

QuarkJets posted:

But this shouldn't really effect battery life much, right? A GPU with no tasks should only be sipping a tiny bit of power

Every little bit counts. Optimus completely shuts down the GPU, no power to it at all. On these notebooks, the GPU is still getting power, it's just in an idle state. Keep in mind that also means that 2gb of discrete memory is also getting power.

It's also not a very big battery either.

I will say that the notebook as a whole idles pretty well. I was easily getting 6 hours or so if idle time with the thing in high performance mode.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

arisu posted:

drat man that's good. My y410p averages around 3 and a half hours on battery at 70% brightness, just for internet browsing. This is plenty enough for me as I never need more than about 2 hours of battery life, but for some people it's not good enough.

To be clear, when I mean idle I mean screen pretty much dimmed/timed out. It was sitting there doing nothing, just not gone to complete sleep.

I had just set it aside to install a steam game and got distracted with other things and came back to it after while.

I did, however, find that even with the integrated GPU, it burns through battery QUICKLY.

I was at like 45% battery and fired up one of the Telltale point and click games on steam after forcing it to the integrated GPU. I got maybe 25 minutes of play in before steam was telling me I had better quit due to battery left.

I can understand why the 750m throttles on battery though due to the heat coming out that side vent while playing Borderlands 2. I've had hairdryers that put out less heat. I'm guessing the 750m running full tilt on battery would drain it in like 10 minutes flat.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Windows 8 is pretty much required for Haswell to work the best it can from a power perspective.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6355/intels-haswell-architecture/3

Take a look at the platform activity alignment graph. Windows 8 is optimized to allow the processor to stay in sleep state longer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

dissss posted:

One last thing can we please get a definitive answer on whether the Y410p supports Optimus. It's easy to check by looking in the Nvidia control panel and checking what the options are there.

In reversal of my earlier ramblings, I can definitively say "yes, it does."

I downloaded Optimus State Viewer and loaded it up. While browsing and sitting at the desktop, it showed the Nvidia GPU as off. I fired up borderlands 2, and it switched to On. I shut that down and it went back to Off. I went to the nvidia control panel and forced "Back to the Future: Episode 1" to integrated GPU and fired it up and it stayed off.

So yes, it does have Optimus. The battery life can probably solely be attributed to two things:

1) Cooling profile (power drain from the fan)
2) Small rear end battery

With a 9 cell battery, this thing would probably hit 8 hours easily.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The only real issue I have with my y410p is the display is pretty terrible. My 7 year old E1505 has a better display. When I'm actually playing a game, I tend not to notice since I'm in the action and the thing plays beautifully, but I really wouldn't want to use it as a primary computer otherwise without hooking it to an external monitor.

I will say though I'm biased because I'm surrounded by good displays. My home desktop uses an UltraSharp U2211H, I use two Dell S2240M at work, even my work E5530 has a 1080p IPS display. My main TV is a Panasonic ST50 plasma.

So, against all of those, the display on the y410p stands out as particularly bad. Panel uniformity is really bad as there's not an angle you can view it at where you don't either start to see it wash out or start to invert. There's no perfect viewing angle. There really isn't anything else out there in the same price/performance category though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I understand it's a cheap laptop compared to it's specs, but the newer generation of IPS stuff is also really cheap. I mean, you can pick up an S2240M for around $150 or less now depending on sales and it's a beautiful IPS panel. It's just a puzzling decision, I would rather the upgraded display option cost 50% more and gave better quality.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Socrates16 posted:

This. You've got me scared about my y510p. Lenovo has a good return policy, so I'll wait and see.

Yeah, it's not so bad that I would think about returning it because I really like it otherwise. But, like I said, I bought it to play games while sitting on the couch and it's great for that.

If it was my primary daily machine that I did a lot of reading web content on, I would find it sub par. Fortunately, I do most of that on my Nexus 7 2013.

The y510p uses a different display though so it's hard to say how that one looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

buildmorefarms posted:

I'm in the market for a laptop that fits the following requirements:

- Small footprint/portable (but probably no smaller than a 13" display)
- Able to run two external displays (with the lid closed, just in case that makes a difference!) at resolutions of no bigger than 1920x1200
- Windows OS

This would be used by members of our executive board who are looking for a model they can plug into a dock while in the office, and rely solely on the two external monitors (my cursory understanding is that the Macbook Air can do this currently, but we need a Windows solution for most of them). They can then just take it off the dock when they're looking to work off-site, and go from there.

From what I can tell, not a whole lot of laptops support two external monitors - but if I'm completely off the mark in that regard then that'll certainly make things easier - thanks!

What about Dell's Latitude 14 7000 series.
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-e7440-ultrabook/pd

14" ultrabook, optional touch screen, docking connector and haswell.