Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
I'm looking for a new laptop soonish, and I may just end up going with a Thinkpad T440 whenever that drops, but what are some alternatives to Thinkpads when it comes to very durable and reasonably priced laptops?

I'd prefer something with a metal or very good composite body, and indestructable hinges. Spill-proof keyboards are a plus, as is a good warranty. I'm hoping to get some kind of a new Haswell model from a reputable brand and keep it for the foreseeable future, at least 4 years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
How is the build quality on the Toshiba Satellites? I am looking at the P50, but if the reviews are to be believed the build is not all that sturdy.

Are there other dumb things I should know about them too? Like do the have horrendous heat problems or whatever? Basically I need a laptop soonish and don't want to wait for a Thinkpad Has well refresh, so I was hoping to find some decent but still cheap alternative.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Oh, wait, this was posted like 10 pages ago.

Never mind.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 1, 2013

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

bomblol posted:

Has there been any real info on what the new release in the Lenovo T line (ie the T440) will hold in store? I'm trying to determine whether to get the T430 now, or deal with a couple more months of classes without a laptop, like I have for the past year.

The specs are known for some of the first T440s models. You can look them up on the lenovo support site. It's more or less what you'd expect, 1920x1080 standard, between 6 and 9 cell batteries. The release date is unknown.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
So what's the breakdown with Dell's naming of Latitudes? The 3000 series seems kind of suspiciously cheap to be a genuinely durable series of laptops so I assume to get actual quality machines I need to be looking at the 5000 series and up?

And what's up with the Es or no Es in front of the model number?

Also, are Latitudes as friendly to user upgrades as Thinkpads with respect to RAM and HDs?

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 28, 2014

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Breakdown videos seem to indicate that the E7440 is actually considerably easier to upgrade than the T440s for both ram and HD (you get access to both from the same 2 screw panel). But drat it's a really really plain laptop... :( I mean, I get it, all business all the time, but the T440s is just prettier.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
So I know there are a lot of anecdotes in this thread about Lenovo shipping poo poo to you for three months, so I just wanted to provide a success story.

Ordered a T440s from the outlet for $730 out the door, i5 4300, 12 gb ram, 180 GB Opal SSD, 1600x900 TN screen (okay, but not great angles, because you know.) This is basically highway robbery, though this was technically a "scratch and dent" unit, there is only extremely minor scuffing on the back. Keyboard not as nice as fanboys claim, but still very respectable. (slight clatter on mine, might be defective or something, but even aside from that honestly not as good as the oldschool ones from my old T400, too stiff.) Touchpad confirmed weird as gently caress, I can't even figure out how to right-click on it, other than two-finger tap. This same bullshit is on my chromebook and it's a hell of a lot less excusable on an ostensibly 1300 machine.

Anyway, I ordered this thing on the 28th, and they claimed that they would ship it by the 4th, and I'd have it by the 11th. Actually it shipped by the 31st and I have it in hand now, 11 days ahead of schedule. Now, this was from outlet so it never went to factory, and it only had to travel two states over, so take that with a grain of salt, but you can get stuff from them pretty drat fast sometimes.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 2, 2014

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
I know the OP says it's been updated for november 2019, but are the current gen thinkpads still good? It lists 570ies, and it looks like we're up to 590 now, and I imagine there is design decay going on as lenovo lenovos the old IBM design.

Do any brands build something similar to the old thinkpads, all utility all the time? Loved my old thinkpad (410), then got a macbook through work, macbook worked great until something broke, at which point it was like a monocoque car. Totalled. No repairability at all.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Hello laptop megathread, I am graduating and it turns out my lab does want my work laptop back. Time to get my own machine once again I guess.

I do light and medium-duty bioinformatics (heavy jobs go to clusters)

I need something 6 physical cores or more, 32 gb ram, and as durable as possible. standalone graphics a plus, if they can CUDA.
Ideally price shouldn't be astronomical. (<1400? if possible?)
Durability really kind of of the essence here, I am not careful with anything I own, and I can't unlearn the bad habits.

Are P15 thinkpads the way to go at the moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask in but here goes anyway:

I ended up getting an XPS 17 as a personal computer because I found a decent deal and Lenovo dicked me around for just a little too long for my liking.

So far seems like a pretty good machine (trackpad is so-so but I guess that's just compared to macbooks) , mostly no complaints, but I have a question:

The CPU default settings seem to keep the whole package pretty toasty if you ask it to operate under load. Multithreading to all available cores with Rust/Rayon will push the temps to ~85C. This is cool to have for burst loads, but if I'm number crunching a sustained load, I would rather just keep it a little cooler and go a little slower because I'm worried about longevity; I sometimes need this thing to run at a steady rate for hours on end.

Is there a way to turn the thermal throttling settings DOWN? Like I would prefer that the CPU clock down if it reaches 70-75 C.