Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I'm going back to school this fall and needed something lighter than my old Latitude to take to class. We scored an Inspiron 13 7000 at Micro Center over the weekend for $350 by stacking a ton of discounts and coupons.

It seems awesome but my only concern is the ULV processor. Should the i3-4010u be quick enough to handle basic tasks/office type stuff for the next few years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Should the Iris G4/G7 graphics chips on the new 10th gen core processors be able to handle modern games at low settings?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

https://www.costco.com/hp-14%22-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i3---1080p.product.100511171.html

Got this today, pretty good deal I think? The ad indicates that it has an i3-1005G1 but apparently Intel is having supply chain issues with the new i3’s so they actually threw in an i5-1035G4.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I just ordered this refurbished from Dell Outlet, seems like a good budget gaming laptop for $450?
G5-5587
Core i5 8300H
GTX 1060 Max Q 6gb
8 gb DDR4
128gb SSD + 1tb hdd

Should the 1060 Max Q still be able to handle modern games at 1080p on medium?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Thanks guys, I do plan to switch out the HDD with a 500gb SSD down the line.

I do probably need another 8gb for gaming right?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

lol you can negotiate open box prices at best buy?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

1650 is the name of the graphics card, not the price...

Laptops with the GTX 1650 are well under $1k these days (possibly as low as $600)

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

How dumb would it be to throw $150 at an early 2015 MacBook Pro/Air?

Just need something lightweight and cheap for basic productivity stuff/browsing/3d printer slicing. From what I can tell the i5 5xxx processors that come with these still outperform the Celeron/Pentium processors that come with cheap Chromebooks these days, no?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Quote is still not edit even in 2024 it seems

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Nine years is pushing it.....even if the previous owners took good care of the thing and didn't use it extensively. But with a clean wipe and reinstall.....I'd think something like that would still be capable of more basic tasks. I would personally put the $150 towards a new, lower end laptop however.

Yeah, the main challenge is finding one in decent shape. There are a ton on eBay (many with 1-2 year warranties) but a lot of them are clearly beat to poo poo.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

My wife replaced her 2011 MacBook Air in 2020 so that was about 9 years on the original battery

In spring 2024 that same laptop is also probably 9 years old

I think the actual compute power for a MacBook Air from that era is fine (I think it might even be the grossly outdated thread title Haswell?) but I'd worry about battery life being more than an hour

How long do you need the laptop to serve you? 6 months? A year? It might be fine. I'd invest in at least a 6 year old laptop or newer since they tend to hang around a lot longer than most people expect

$150 MacBook Air is more "my term paper is due Tuesday and I need a laptop NOW" not "general productivity for the next two years" type purchase

Update on this, I gave up on trying to get a MacBook and went with an old i7 Lenovo T460S for $45 on eBay. It’s missing an SSD (pretty sure I have a 128gb m.2 around here somewhere) but looks to be in good shape and is otherwise complete and reported to be fully functional. I think it should be fine running Windows 11 even though it’s not technically supported, and even if it doesn’t I’ll Just put ChromeOS Flex on it.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Yeah unless you have a very specific windows need I would just install Debian 12 on there and put chrome on it

Microsoft changed the rules about reusing valid Windows keys over and over too

I’ve never really hosed with a linux; is it pretty easy to use for basic productivity poo poo at this point? Can you do pretty much everything without going into console?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I've used Thinkpads for work for years and I'd rather die than have to use one as my personal laptop due to the strong association I have with Thinpad = work.

Is the Core Ultra 7 enough of a step up from the i7-1360p to consider going that route instead?

I’ve always been issued lovely Dells and HP’s for work and recently bought a $45 T460S on eBay for personal use. Quickly realized that the slightly beat up six year old Thinkpad is way more pleasant to use on a day to day basis than my 1 year old Elitebook lol