Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT
It depends entirely on what their bulk orders are. They attach your order to a larger order so they don't spend a fortune retooling; it's almost entirely based on some Fortune 500 company buying a batch for a satellite office and yours gets to go along too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

signalnoise posted:

As someone who has bought multiple gaming laptops in his life and used them extensively, I can tell you that a lot of what's being said here is bullshit. Your computer will not be made obsolete just because it's getting older. It's not going to be dead in 1 year, and the reason is because you know exactly what level of graphical quality you're getting into when you buy the computer. Once you buy your laptop and upgrade the ram/hdd/whatever, what you've got is it.

No poo poo Sherlock, but the laptop in question is the Y410p which comes with a mid-range GPU that was already middle of the road and is going to be pushed into obsolescence by new consoles. Your anecdotes do not constitute actual data, and they're contradicted by benchmarks for the video card.

signalnoise posted:

It can, however, play it at a level that I'm comfortable with. If you're comfortable with what you're going to get, you should be able to turn the settings down on future games and still play them.

Getting a gaming laptop is an awful idea for almost anyone posting in this thread, and this is several times more true with Haswell and HD5X00. Again, the Y410p only gives playable framerates for intensive games on medium/low settings already.

signalnoise posted:

Switchable graphics cards are the poo poo, when they work. The Alienware laptops, for example, can switch their discrete graphics card on and off to save battery. On my m11x (sadly not made anymore) I could pull out 7-8 hours on one battery charge if I didn't have the card on. However, when it was on, even when it wasn't being used for games, it cut that to half or less. Make sure it works.

Optimus is great, Enduro sucks to the point of breaking basic usability. If anyone else ignores every piece of advice in this thread, avoid AMD mobile GPUS like the plague.

signalnoise posted:

Of course if what you want is just good games, and not necessarily graphically intensive games, there's a world of indie games now like Mercenary Kings, Spelunky, Monaco, Faster than Light, and more that you can run just fine on any new laptop. You can save the extra bulk and pack an Xbox 360 controller or a dedicated handheld gaming device.

This is pretty much correct.

go3 posted:

This isn't about Haswell. Its about the same people parroting the same disingenuous bullshit because occasionally people want different laptops than they do.

You bought a large laptop and paid way, way too much for it and are happy with it. That's great. Your usage scenario is not the same as everyone else's, something you seem to have trouble grasping despite claiming the contrary. I and most others advocate that people take an objective look at their needs and seriously consider getting a smaller laptop that suits their needs just as well, or getting a laptop and a desktop for the same amount of money. Most people will regret buying the same laptop you did, since the build quality, weight, size, and poor peripherals are all detrimental and will detract the the actual portability, usability, and reliability of a laptop.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

Gophermaster posted:

Unless you don't give a poo poo about battery life and just need portable computer. You seem to have a hard time grasping that other people have different requirements. Laptops aren't an investment, they're a depreciating asset.

That's absolutely, unequivocally wrong. Many people use their laptops for school, work, friends, and entertainment, which is a hell of a lot of our lives. It's in your best interest to invest in a quality machine that fits your needs, which is an Air or an Ultrabook for most people.

Even if they were solely a "depreciating asset", you'd still be hilariously off-base. Apple computers, and especially Apple laptops, hold their value for a much greater period of time than a comparable PC. An Air from a few years ago still commands $400 or $500, compared to a Thinkpax X61, which might get $150 in excellent condition.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

Gophermaster posted:

Yes, my needs are wrong. Please set me straight o' learned 23 yr old about what I need.

Try again, I never said your needs were wrong. I just called you on your incorrect bullshit.

Giggle Goose posted:

I found a T430 on amazon that would certainly get here on time. The only difference between it and the one that I would have ordered directly from lenovo is that it doesn't have the upgraded display. From what I've seen on here though, the display is pretty lovely anyways so I wonder if it would really even make that big of a difference.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkP...#productDetails

It also only has 4 gigs of RAM, but I don't really plan on doing any strenuous work with the thing, so that might not be a deal breaker. Plus it looks like I could always add more if it was a problem.

Edit: Info

Other than the screen, that looks fine. If they don't change the connectors or the physical size, you could theoretically put the 1080p IPS display that comes with the T440 on there too.

edit:

Infinite Monkeys posted:

What's the difference between the T430 and T430i?

Where are you seeing an i model at? Doesn't show up for me.

InstantInfidel fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 16, 2013

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

Gophermaster posted:

What was wrong? Just because Apple products depreciate less doesn't make them investments.

I was trying to say that laptops are investments, not novelties, because we rely on them so much in day-to-day life. I didn't mean specifically Apple products, I just cited the air because it's being discussed.

Vegetable posted:

Yes, and he's saying "other people have different requirements". I have no problem accepting some dude might not need battery life for playing FIFA at the girlfriend's. Why is this so hard for you?

Neither do I, did you even read what you quoted?