Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Has there been any word on when the new thinkpads will roll out? Nothing on Google reveals anything and I'm unsure how far behind things lag for them.

Though, about the Macbook Air, it would be able to handle games to some extent? What would really make the CPU strain as I'm the HD 5000 wouldn't be the first bottleneck on the system (and it'd allow for meh framerates on most modern games turned down low right? Do people release benchmarks for macbooks somewhere?). I'm a bit split on which computer I'd want as I think both types would work for me.

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
So if I can afford it, is the 13" MBA the way to go as I was kind of interested in a Thinkpad, but beyond the Helix, there's no mention of when the refreshes are coming (like the T450). However, the MBA would have a far better screen from what I've read in this thread (and would a non-graphics guy like me notice this? I use this as my primary monitor for reference). My use-case is I want to be able to:
  • Run Sublime Text and other code stuff (Linux on a VM) and run Latex and word and Matlab
  • Browse the web and watch netflix occasionally
  • Be able to play non hyper amazing graphics. This includes indie games, Dota 2, Civilization V (and other games of the "one more move variety"), but never something like Battlefield 3 or Last Light.
  • It would be moved around quite a bit (most likely daily) when I bike/walk to class and work so beyond a sleeve for my bag, should be fine so long as I'm not flinging my bag at a wall or something.

I believe the HD5000 can handle all that? What about the processor (would the cheaper one be fine or is it better to go more expensive). Same with RAM. Secondarily, would 256GB probably be fine for a laptop so long as I don't try and install every game in the world? I'm assuming it is, but I haven't had a real laptop in a long time, and my desktop has a ton of memory, so I've never really thought about it. Now I feel kind of silly asking this stuff. :blush:

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 24, 2013

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Hadlock posted:

Civ5 will run acceptably on Low on the HD4000, that's the only taxing game you listed. The Air has a HD5000 which is supposedly ~50% faster real world.

I would pick up an external hard drive for $100 though. 256 is big for day to day word processing, but Steam games will fill up your drive rather quickly. DOTA and Civ 5 are each 8-12 GB, so that's 24gb (10% of your formatted drive) down the drain, not to mention OS, VMs, I imagine matlab is rather large as well.
For some reason, I didn't even consider an external harddrive (probably because the one I currently have is like 9 years old and has 256 GB back :v: ).

Is the HD5000 not confirmed to be a better GPU as that "supposedly" makes me a bit apprehensive here. Though, I wouldn't get a non-haswell laptop at this point due to the massive other gains, so I guess I'd have to get a HD5000 no matter what.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Vinlaen posted:

Anandtech posted their 2013 Macbook Air review and it looks like the HD 5000 GPU is about 16% faster than the HD 4000 which isn't bad.

My only complaint with the Macbook Airs (and probably other laptops?) is that even when playing "small" games like DOTA or Civilization 5, the fan will gets very, very loud and the laptop gets quite hot on the bottom.

When I'm not playing a game, the fan doesn't even turn on though which is nice.
So basically don't have it sit on my actual lap while playing a game and use headphones? Is there a video or something of this as I'm not sure "very very loud" is.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
So after getting the new MBA 13" and playing around with it for a week on the recommendation of goons, I have to say, you guys did a wonderful job on the recommendation. I've seriously gone to scoffing at the idea of owning a mac ever, to debating if I'd ever want to get a different type of laptop. It's only downside being that I have to use a spare dell keyboard to play FPS games because I'll be damned if I learn key bindings on games I've been playing for years (and play on a windows desktop when at home). Beyond that, it's aces (and the battery is also pretty incredible compared to my friends). Thanks goons!