Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I won't be in the market for one for a number of months, but what's the best bet for a low-power, high-battery typing device at absolute bargain value? So, a laptop or a bluetooth-keyboard tablet that will see many thousands of words typed onto it (and not used for anything else, barely even email) for bare minimum price. Is the Samsung chromebook the best bet still, or a Nexus 7 with a full-sized bluetooth keyboard..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Unfortunately the market is very restricted as I'm moving to Rome on Tuesday and everything I buy will have to be available there. You Americans don't know how good you have it in terms of cheap computer parts and general availability, I've been comparing EU prices to stuff even here (AU) and it's remarkable how bad the computer world has it there. Not a single Thinkpad x120e in sight on any website, 1st or 2nd hand. Brand new laptops from several generations ago are still running at like 300-500 euro.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I won't be in the market for one for a number of months, but what's the best bet for a low-power, high-battery typing device at absolute bargain value? So, a laptop or a bluetooth-keyboard tablet that will see many thousands of words typed onto it (and not used for anything else, barely even email) for bare minimum price. Is the Samsung chromebook the best bet still, or a Nexus 7 with a full-sized bluetooth keyboard..?

Disregard this post, I mentioned my dilemma to my colleague and he whips out an old lenovo ideapad s10e netbook with 6-8h battery life and starts registering me new Win 7 and Office keys. It's my very last day today, too. What a guy!

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 7, 2013

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I can see the OP was updated only a month ago but the girlfriend's dad wants to buy her a new laptop to replace her current broken one. It seems like the Dell XPS 13 with a slight upgrade to bigger SSD and faster cpu etc seems like the best bet, at 1099 euros.

The basic desire is:

~13" screen
~1kg weight (1.18kg is acceptable for the Dell)
Budget roughly 1000 euros (1099 fine for the Dell)

And it can't be less powerful than her current machine which is a Toshiba Satellite Z930 - 6gb ram and I think a i5-3317U. The screen isn't fantastic in the Toshiba so everything else in the dell seems pretty equal except for that upgrade.

Can we do better? Buying it in Italy, found it for 1099 euros on the Dell website.