Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Are there laptops other than the ASUS ROG x16 that have pen support and a decent GPU and large high-ish (90 or more) refresh rate screen?

I'm surprised this form factor isn't that popular as it could basically replace the wacom monitor I have to drag around everywhere with my Macbook Pro. Wacom drivers have also been making GBS threads the bed recently for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Lockback posted:

That form factor + GPU is hard to power and cool.

MSI summit E16, but i think it's quite a bit bigger and I don't know the pen support.

Interesting, I would have thought the main limitation would be battery life, but cooling makes sense.

When do laptops refresh generally? I see more suitable (for me) variants like one with a 4060 instead of an overkill 4070, but it does not seem available anywhere.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
They're definitely exciting for me because I realized that I just don't play many high performance games on laptops.

Looking for a 2-in-1 with battery life that can at least be within ballpark of macs. Trading build quality and reliability for smaller games and not needing to bring a wacom is worth for me.

My question (after trying a couple laptops and returning them), are windows laptops just not very reliable? Even brand new, they seem to crash fairly often. 1 laptop, flow x13, broke twice and another, lenovo yoga, broke 3 times over just a week of use each. They don't wake up from sleep reliably and some things randomly stop working unless you restart like wifi. By comparison, my desktop PC built from parts is extremely reliable and don't need a restart for weeks.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I had the wifi just suddenly stop working while in the house sitting. Tried using the windows "repair" function and it told me to restart which is just a lolwat moment. I couldn't even disable and re-enable the module in the advanced settings.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Quixzlizx posted:

If you're talking W11:

Control Panel --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change Adapter Settings --> right-click the Wi-Fi adapter --> either Diagnose or Disconnect/Connect.

If you search hard enough, sometimes you can find some convoluted workaround to reach the old features MS wants to strip out of their UI.

That's pretty funny. I only saw the wifi slider and it was stuck in "enabled mode" and the repair returned with "can't repair, try restarting".

Regardless, I already returned both, waiting for a 2-in-1 intel meteor lake laptop before trying another.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I've used Macs my entire working career, but I still like how windows has snappier real mouse movement. Track pad, Mac wins by a landslide, but real mouse movements just has a few more ms of latency. I also play games and work with games so I'm always dual-machining these days...

Otoh, Macs have much better productivity software than Windows if you're willing to pay some money. Things like Mimestream and Fantastical are just kind of godly compared to any windows alternative. It doesn't help that the windows 8+ design language has hosed all app UI that adopted it for the last 5 years.

If you're a programmer, there's also a ton of great tools like Medis, the Redis GUI.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Any kind of heavy software will just spin non-mac laptop fans up to max, especially games.

They use too many watts for laptops to reasonably dissipate without being loud.

Since it's an ASUS, I think you can use create a custom fan curve with armory crate or https://github.com/seerge/g-helper. But expect a lot of performance throttling and possibly reduced lifespan.

edit: I didn't read your post carefully enough. If it's louder with BG3, maybe set the FPS limiter to 60.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 11, 2024

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Has anyone used an LG Gram?

I'm looking at this and it seems okay for a pretty specialized (lightweight 2 in 1) laptop.
https://www.lg.com/us/laptops/lg-16t90sp-k.adb9u1-gram-laptop

Intel Ultra 7 155
16" OLED
32gb + 2tb SSD
2-in-1
3.1 lb
"Free" usb monitor

Only issues are small-ish battery, 77 Wh.

It seems like a decent Macbook Air 15 alternative but I already have a mac for work and would rather get something that I can draw or play games on for a personal device.

I always need to bring 2 laptops so they can't be behemoths.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Whats the consensus on pre-installed software on laptops these days? Uninstall everything and let windows handle it? Keep some stuff?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Splicer posted:

Full reformat and rebuild. I'm only half-joking.

When you reformat, is the windows license attached to the machine and automatically register?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
semi-rant, but it's getting absurd

Why, in 2024, do windows laptops suck this hard in so many weird ways?

Ever since giving my macbook pro m1 to my sister, I've been trying to find a decent windows laptop replacement. I was hoping for stylus support so I don't need to drag a wacom around for drafting on the go.

List of laptops and issues
1. Asus flow x16 - microled screen was an absolute POS with bloom everywhere.
2. HP spectre 16 - mediocre haptic trackpad that would start "failing" and go into ultraslow 0.1x speed until you reboot
3. Samsung 360 - never reliably slept. 50% of the time i take it out of the bag with the battery drained
4. LG Gram 16 (currently) - touchscreen stops working randomly until a driver reinstall that may or may not fix it.

Battery life for every one of them seems to be maybe 50% of the macbook (5 hours vs 10), but that's an acceptable tradeoff if they were at least god drat reliable.

should i go for another gamble and try out a lenovo? they seem to be touted as having good reliability. Or do I hope this LG gets enough driver upgrades to be truly reliable? It has some good features such as the magnetic pen and the weight is really nice.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I searched around about the spectre bug, but the new haptic touchpad is relatively new so I didn't see much other than short term reviews. Would go with the surface pro if it had a 15"+ variant. 13" is just too small for me and the keyboard is rough.

Is the sleep issue a perpetual windows issue? I see suggestions to just force hibernate which is what I'm doing now with the LG, starting up is slower but reliable at least. Otherwise I can tell the fans are sometimes still spinning even after sleeping for a while and occasionally force a restart because it won't boot back up.

The worst part is it's not all gloom, the OLED is nice, the numpad is nice, the insane lightness is really nice. But they're kinda icing on a poo poo cake if fundamental things break randomly.