Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So, if someone too young to know better left a laptop out and opened on the front porch where it got rained on for a few minutes, is it likely to be salvageable if left upside down in a dry room with a desk fan pointed at it for a week? Is there anything better than that a person with nowhere near expertise to dismantle it can do?

The good news is it was powered down at the time.

It's old and I actually just ordered its replacement a couple days ago, so not a huge deal if it's dead. Not worth paying a professional to rescue really. Would be nice to still have it though and be able to get some data off it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Thanks for the help. On the 3 to 18 scale my mechanical aptitude is about a -5, I struggle to change the oil on my car without destroying it, so opening up a laptop is 100% not an option for me. If it were new and valuable I'd pay a professional but it is not. I'll keep it in a warm room with a dehumidifier and a fan for a week or two and then roll the dice.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 15, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you're willing to deal with the headache, reformat and install some flavor of linux on a separate partition just to test your theory?

I'd bet my money the timing was coincidental and the battery's just kaput, though. Same thing happened to my 9 year old Asus a couple years ago, it was fine when plugged in but would not recharge.

disclaimer: I'm not in any way a hardware expert, if anyone who knows what they're talking about posts listen to them

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i should have been more specific in my earlier post. i thought your post was constructive. i did not think it was as constructive for the other person to just say "build a desktop duh" preemptively

Yeah but in his case "no laptop exists for the purposes you want that will last as long as you want, you should consider a desktop" is the right answer

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Stuff like that not infrequently appears in SA-Mart, I got one a couple months ago that's working great for that exact use case. Obviously not going to be able to customize for color that way though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

roomforthetuna posted:

Now thinking maybe what I should get is a steam deck for games, and an old refurb thinkpad for development, and say goodbye to Windows.

I am never gonna be able to figure out how to get and keep Linux running so I am thinking of doing exactly this also.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Windows pcs can't do this, when they "sleep" it's actually a low power mode. So they got rid of that and introduced a medium power mode where the screen goes off but it still slurps power. So your laptop can check email while it's off. Yay.

And phone home constantly with usage information. And install updates whether you want it to or not.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

True enough I suppose.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Or just buy a wireless standalone numpad to use with it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

My experience is also that a riser to make sure there's airflow is very important, but above and beyond that a cooler doesn't make any difference. It's an extra layer of protection in case the fans in your laptop suddenly die I guess. But short of that, the laptop's own fans are sufficient to cool it as long as there's airflow.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm not super experienced myself but I recall reading a bunch of test results that suggested your standard cooling stand didn't generally make much difference on when the thermal throttling kicked in. But as you say, $20-30 is a pretty cheap price to give it a try if you're having problems with that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

About every three or four years since the Clinton Administration I've had a go at Linux, but it's never stuck for long because I am not in any way shape or form a programmer and Linux has always functioned as an OS by programmers for programmers. But now that pretty much everything runs through browsers anyway, when I installed Mint on a laptop a few months ago I was delighted to discover that it actually just works and does the poo poo I want it to do. So now the Windows machine is pretty much strictly for gaming and Excel. Which is a great relief since I'll soon be forced to 11 and want nothing to do with it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

roomforthetuna posted:

On my previous laptop, with Windows, I *also* had nvidia driver related crashes, so even this may not be a ding against Linux laptop gaming. The one real ding is that getting the GPU drivers set up correctly in the first place is a bit of a chore.

Yes, this is exactly the part that makes the whole thing a complete no-go for a filthy casual like myself.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Really the tl;dr is if you want to do gaming or video editing then only go Linux if you're able and willing to invest some hours in light but fiddly programming to get/keep the drivers working. And if you need Excel, LibreOffice etc. or Google Sheets won't do the job and you need Windows. Other than that, if all you do on a given laptop is web/browser stuff and office suite stuff, Linux will work for you out of the box.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You need a reasonable graphics card to run stock Minecraft above 30fps with a render distance of anything more than about 4 chunks. Like even a couple generations old is fine (unless you want to use high res texture packs and such) but you're probably in for a bad time if you try to run it on a laptop's integrated graphics.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mantle posted:

Electrical tape leaves a gross residue that is hard to clean though.

And by 'hard' you mean fuckin' impossible.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If everything you'll be doing on the machine can be done in a browser, Linux is great. If however you'll be gaming on it, or if you'll even occasionally need to use Excel or Powerpoint, forget it unless you're already comfortable with command line fiddling.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’ve got this rascal: https://www.newegg.com/eclipse-gray-asus-rog-strix-g16-g614ji-xs96-gaming/p/N82E16834236376

When I play BG3 the fan goes hyper drive like the laptop is getting ready for takeoff.

The armoury crate software shows the fan going to 3500 rpm’s and the internal temp going to mid 70s.

Is that normal?

I don’t think my laptop has made that much noise or needed that much fan for any other game… the software of BG3 runs smooth At ultra graphics but the fan noise and temp seems a bit much. But when I turn the graphics down, the fam intensity nor internal temp have any change…

Fan's doing great if mid-70s is as high as it goes. The ROG I had would run in the low 90s pretty routinely.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

MeruFM posted:

When you reformat, is the windows license attached to the machine and automatically register?

Hahahahano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yes. Laptops from major manufacturers that came with a Windows license will have a key embedded in their firmware that the installer should pick up automatically.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but doesn't that involve the software OP is trying to get rid of also being so embedded?