Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

What sort of price drops am I looking at if I wait another couple of weeks for haswell to be more generally available? I've found something which is basically exactly what I want for about £200 less than anything else similar to it, and this shitbox is getting more and more dead every day. If it's only gonna be a small drop, I'm considering going for it now since I'll have to wait six weeks if I don't jump within the next seven days or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

People who know how much laptops cost, what sort of prices am I looking at if I upgrade to someone with the new cards when they come out?

I'm kind of sick of my laptop making GBS threads itself every couple of weeks, and none of the solutions offered by windows/google are working for me this time round. I can take it off to someone who knows more than me and hope they can fix it, but that's going to cost money and I'm thinking of upgrading anyway, and this is happening frequently enough that I'm not convinced I haven't just ballsed up my hardware anyway. Thing is, my budget is £6-800, which is about $8-1000. Are the shiny new models going to be way out of my price range, as I suspect.

And if I do end up buying sooner rather than later, any recommendations? I'd like to be able to play games, but I'm happy to play on low settings and mediocre framerates. Probably want the 15.6 inches (or similar) since I'm travelling a bunch with it. I care a lot more about durability than resolution or battery life. I'm mostly using it to write job application cover letters and distract myself with video games right now, so...

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I thought they'd probably be way out of my price range. I've been scrolling through newegg/amazon/pc world for a while while I watch the old one restart itself over and over again as I fiddle with stuff, and it seems like this dell inspiron 15-7559 is way ahead of anything else in the field. 960m, i7, 1080p for £800 looks like way more than ASUS or Lenovo (they seem to be the other two with lots of options ?) have on offer, to the point where either I'm just a terrible searcher and missing everything else that's good, or it's too good to be true. Am I bad at shopping, is there some big catch I haven't noticed, is it just really good?