Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That's weird, why would they put glass on the back of the screen like that? That seems counter-intuitive to making it seem like a sturdy ultrabook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

syntaxfunction posted:

So I'm looking for an ultrabook since my netbook(s) decided to die. I bought them for the weight mainly. I don't game much any more but being able to run, say, Civ 5 would be good. Even though I'm looking at ultrabooks price is still important to me. And time. I need it basically within a month or so. From what I'm reading the main ones I like the look of (The new Acer S7 and ASUS Zenbook Infinity) aren't being released any time soon.

If my requirements are weight, nice enough screen and faster than a netbook while having not-horrific battery life, is it a terrible idea to get a Zenbook Prime (UX31A probably)? It seems to fit all my needs including battery life (I'm living with about 3 hours right now). It was basically between the UX31A (Non touch), Acer S7 and Macbook Air 13". I can't seem to easily get any others for a reasonable price or ease here in Australia. The 1920x1080 IPS panel is more than nice for me. Any reasons apart from "wait for Haswell"? I don't really want to wait too long as I need it more now than shiny and new. Hell, when I bought my netbooks they were a fair bit behind but they did the job well.

This is from way back but I got an Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A non-touch because it's so light, very durable, has a great screen with great viewing angles, great battery life, doesn't get hot, and it runs everything I need it to run very very very well. I put a 128gb SSD in it too because, as a student, I'm gonna throw all my docs and poo poo onto cloud storage so I don't need much storage. Seriously, the case and the keyboard, and the trackpad are all very very well done and it is a Very Very Great Laptop as long as you don't do video games. Note: I reinstalled windows on it because it comes with a 20gb recovery partition on a loving 128gb SSD, you might want to do the same if you get a lil' baby SSD on it. When I first unboxed it, I had 70gb of usable space.

Under normal usage (I wrote a big ol' essay on Word with like 70% screen brightness on the whole time) I got 4.5 hours until it hit 10%.

Honestly, the only reasons I can find to wait for Haswell is if you intend to play video games on it or something which is dumb to do on an ultrabook. I haven't run a single video game on it, so I don't know how that will work.

Also that loving Zenbook Infinity has gorilla glass on the back which is just gonna make it look awful after lugging it around all day and I've broken the poo poo out of the backs of iphones from dropping it, a bigger piece of gorilla glass attached to a 3 pound computer doesn't seem that appealing.

jokes fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 6, 2013

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Design choices for laptops and touchscreen convertibles make no sense to me. What is this: what the gently caress is this!?!?!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

With laptops, aren't you supposed to use the battery until it goes all the way down to 10% then fully charge it to keep the battery healthy?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Okay cool, and how long do modern Li-ion batteries last? Some people say 2-4 years others say 1000 charges, or something?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I haven't found a Sony screen I liked because they all seem like flimsy LCD screens, even on their business-class models.

You should really really wait for Haswell and avoid getting a dedicated graphics card unless you wanna play Battlefield 3 or something. Instead of getting a graphics card, why not get a bigger badder processor?

Plus, what do you need the Blu-Ray drive for? Unless you wanna watch a bunch of movies on the go, you could just buy a USB drive or something. That's what I do for DVDs.

e: So, what do you really want out of this thing? Do you want to be able to play video games on it? If so, which ones? Looking around, with those specs, you could get a really good ultrabook at 13 inches for less than $1200 without the graphics card. DO you want portability or performance?

jokes fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 8, 2013

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What are the problems ya'll have with touchpads? I ask because I don't have any problems with my touchpad and don't remember my old MacBook being that much better than this one.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Carecat posted:

Right, I wouldn't ever try to play an FPS on it. I use my current one for watching movies when I'm at home, when I'm away it's a replacement PC but any i5 has enough juice to do that. Phones and tablets are crap for that with the small screen and touch keyboards. The bluray drive could be a waste, I just have quite a few of them. Performance isn't a priority, I'm more concerned with a good screen and quietness.

I swear I'm not a shill, but have you looked at the Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A? I have it, it's quiet as all hell, it's only 13 inches, great battery. It doesn't have that many ports and it doesn't have an optical drive at all but the last time I used a disk on my laptop was probably 2007. The hinge feels tight and great, screen has great viewing angles, IPS, and is 1920x1080. Really the screen is just perfect. Design is great, sleek, sturdy (not flimsy like most, if not all, Sony laptops). I play Prison Architect and TF2 on it with no problems, poo poo's a good no-frills laptop. All below 3 pounds.

http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX31A/#overview
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-Zenbook-Prime-UX31A-Touch-Ultrabook.87921.0.html

Seriously, this thing is the bomb dot com and if you care for a touch screen you can get one on this thing.

http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX31A/#overview

If you want to wait for their newer thing you can get their new Zenbook Infinity whenever that's coming out. Very similar specs but it has Haswell in it, and has a gorilla glass back to the lid which, frankly, I don't give a poo poo about. That's just begging to get smudged about. But it seems like a really really great laptop even with a touchscreen.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7035/asus-zenbook-infinity-hands-on-with-the-most-beautiful-notebook-at-computex

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

evilweasel posted:

Who? I've never seen much of a use case for touch on a standard laptop.

It's the weirdest restriction on the term 'ultrabook' I could think of but hey there it is.

I suppose that, after years of lovely trackpads, nipples, and the like they decided to just say 'gently caress it' and make you shove your dirty fingers right onto the screen whenever you want to click something.

Sometimes I want a touchscreen, but never more than once a week maybe. And it's only when using Windows 8 stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if OEMs just pass over touchscreen poo poo in the future. It's just a fad to me, personally.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pvt Dancer posted:

I always wanted to know what kind of email the VIPs read

It's the ghacks.net newsletter, he's got like 6 of them in his inbox and nothing else. Ghacks.net is apparantly a real thing so I signed up for the newsletter, I'm bound to be a rich dude soon.

Do you call phone numbers that you see/hear in movies?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Isn't each generation's xx70 roughly equivalent to a xx80ti?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is there any after-market cooling device I can use on an MBA? Like, would just a desk fan be sufficient to combat throttling?

I haven't ever experienced throttling yet on my MBA and don't intend to for my use case I was just curious if there's any option to keep it cool-- even if it's ugly?

I remember there were these docks or whatever for the old Xbox 360 that was just a fan because of the heat-- there must be something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yikes lol