Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Am I being too picky or unreasonable with not wanting a laptop with soldered RAM? I've been trying to find a simple 14-15.6'' laptop to do work on and stream games from my desktop and it seems like almost everything has 4gb or 8gb soldered with maybe a single SODIMM slot.

Or worse the technical specs are so opaque and teardowns on specific SKUs hard to come by so it's impossible to really know for sure whats inside.

99pct of germs fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Did AMD just peace out from the mobile market or something? They had a whole rollout for their mobile 7000 GPU series last January and a pretty limp showing. The 7900m benches pretty well but it's in a lovely, overpriced Alienware, and so far none of the 2024 refreshes even have an AMD GPU.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

B&H has the Legion 7i, 4080 with 32gb RAM for $2100 ($2200 and change after taxes). I'm wondering if that's going to be the price floor for the 2023 models before the likely more expensive 2024 revisions come out.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Magic City Monday posted:

I hosed up the LCD on my T14 G3 and need to replace it.

From what I understand, for ThinkPads, it's a pretty straightforward process right?

1. Figure out the model/part number for the panel I have/want and buy it on AliExpress.
2. Disconnect the battery
3. Pop off the plastic bezel around the panel
4. Pull off the adhesive tabs and remove the panel
5. Disconnect the 30 pin cable, connect it to the new panel
6. Put new adhesive strips on the panel and install it
7. Put the plastic bezel back on (may need additional adhesive for this)

That's pretty much it, right? All I really need is a new panel, some adhesive strips, and a pry tool?

Pretty much as you describe, maybe some more zhuzhing depending on the model with seating the panel. The only thing I can really add is having a set of good spudgers goes a long way to making it an easier process, along with an anti-static wriststrap.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

All it needed was a green serial port shoved somewhere back there.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

After a lot of looking and researching I think I finally settled on the 14'' Legion Slim 5 with Ryzen 7 7840S, RTX 4060, 32GB RAM and an OLED screen. It's checking all of my boxes: lowkey design, portable, nice build quality, beautiful display, great battery life, great gaming performance for what I would play.

The only thing bothering me is the RAM is soldered, and you can only get the 32GB configuration directly from Lenovo. It totals around $1400 USD.

First am I wrong for being bothered by the soldered memory? I typically get 3-5 years out of my laptops, I just want to know if onboard has legs compared to SODIMM. And while $1400 seems pretty good is it worth waiting for a sale or do I risk it being memory-holed for the 2024 version?

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Lockback posted:

Write up a review when you get it. I'm still a ways from my next one but I'm between another G14 or going with the 14" legion

Gonna be a little bit, earliest was March 8th. But I pulled the trigger, got it for just under $1500 after taxes. I'll definitely report back though!

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Where did you find a Legion Slim 5 with 32GB ram and a 4060 for $1400?

There's a month+ long lead time though. I picked expedited shipping to get it by March 8th only to have them update my order to March 18th now. Whoops!

edit: Specifically for the 32GB model.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I'm wondering why the Ryzen 9 variant doesn't have a 32GB option for memory.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

drat, could have saved a couple hundred bucks. Oh well

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Well my Legion Slim 5 14'' showed up much earlier than I had anticipated. I haven't had a ton of time with it, but here are some initial impressions:

- The build quality feels "premium". The design is clean, and doesn't scream GAMER. It's incredibly light and doesn't have a bunch of gaudy accoutrements.
- Port selection is good, the lack of an ethernet port is a shame but not a big deal for me.
- The OLED screen is very nice, and incredibly sharp. The 16:10 aspect ratio is welcome too.
- The keyboard feels nice and tacky, and for me personally is basically the perfect size.
- I haven't had a ton of time to play games, but the few games I opened and mucked around in ran nicely at decent settings and resolution.

I'll post a more comprehensive write up after I get some more time with it. But I will say for $1400 I definitely don't feel like I got less than what I paid for so far.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Lenovo Legion Slim 5 Gen 8 – 14’’ with OLED Display (14APH8)
CPU: Ryzen 7 7840HS
GPU: RTX 4060
RAM: 32GB DDR5 @ 6400MHz

Disclaimer: Not even remotely a professional review just some shmuck giving his impressions.

Summary: An understated gem with excellent day-to-day performance, above expectation gaming capabilities and surprisingly long legs off AC power. All for around $1400.

Normal Use:
It’s good, very good! I don’t do any intensive rendering, or compiling so YMMV.

Graphical/Gaming:
Everything I typically play runs great, getting above 60FPS at 1800p (Native OLED res) at medium/high settings. Lowering the resolution to 1080p easily pushes FPS past 100 with 1% lows around 85-100. Obviously, performance is also dependent on how well each game is optimized and specific settings in each game. The 8GB of VRAM is definitely the Achilles heel of this GPU and you will see it hitting that VRAM limit at resolutions above 1080/1200p. Although as an aside it really puts into perspective how awful a value the 4070 is.

Games I played: Age of Empires 4, Age of Wonders 4, Baldur’s Gate 3, Last Epoch, Balatro (lol), Conan Exiles

Display:
The OLED is sharp and incredibly bright, Lenovo’s documentation says its 400 nits max but it seems much brighter than that. Whatever fidelity you might lose lowering settings in some games feels lessened by the OLED panel. The native resolution is 2880 x 1800 which feels good to me personally, the physical screen is 14.5’’ diagonally and is just so crisp and easy on the eyes.

Battery Life:
It is billed as a gaming laptop and the 4060 at max usage will be pulling 105W TGP when set on performance mode. You’ll be lucky to get more than 2 hours if you’re playing a graphically intense game. But this is essentially true for all gaming laptops. However for non-gaming workloads the battery life surprisingly good. Using my daily drivers such as Firefox, Affinity Photo and Word/Excel I was easily getting 6-6.5 hours on a 75% charge with brightness at around 60%.

Odds and Ends:
The keyboard is a nice size and has a satisfying tacky-ness to it, no num pad but it’s a 14’’ device so it kind of goes with the territory.
Good selection of ports including a USB-PD port that can accept up to 140w and multiple USB 3.2 Gen2 ports.
Audio is fine, definitely ok for what it is. It’s your standard Realtek chip which sadly no longer comes with that handy little EQ control panel.
Lenovo unlike ASUS doesn’t rat gently caress you if you decide to format the drive. Drivers get pulled via Windows update and the tuning software Lenovo Vantage is compact and lightweight.
Rear ports are lit.

99pct of germs fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 2, 2024

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

According to HWInfo the idle (CPU/GPU) average is 34.2C / 30.1C. Under regular non-gaming use it gets up around 37C-40C on the CPU, the built in iGPU carries that load so the dGPU is usually only pulling 2-3 watts. I truthfully keep forgetting to check when I'm playing something, but using the built in Nvidia monitor the GPU was reporting 63C. I'll report back later when I get some better numbers.

It does a pretty good job keeping itself cool, and I haven't even explored under-volting.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Oh yeah definitely, even after an hour in a GPU intensive application the bottom felt surprisingly cool with only the keys directly above the CPU/GPU feeling noticeably warmer. But at no point is it ever uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I would like to buy a second 170w AC charger for my Legion Slim to use for travel but Lenovo is asking for $100 which seems a bit steep. Any recommendations on third party chargers or should I steer clear and see if I can find an actual Lenovo charger instead?

edit: Actually found some good deals on ebay for genuine Lenovo chargers. The model number is a single letter different from mine (ADL170SDC3A) while the one listed is (ADL170SCC3A). It looks to be virtually identical, so I think I'll just snag one of these.

99pct of germs fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 13, 2024