Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Well.....here's a stupid question. Am I cool holding down an SSD in my laptop with electrical tape? The cheap POS screw that came with it almost immediately snapped off the head leaving the hold down unusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

buffbus posted:

Probably but personally I would sooner use a small blob of hot glue.

Might have to do that if the tape proves unreliable.

Hadlock posted:

At least go ahead and use 3m electrical tape. The adhesive is probably loads better and more heat resistant

I've got some good electrical tape. Just has to do alright. Fortunately this is just a secondary save drive....so if it comes loose....shouldn't cause any issues other than having to take off the back cover.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Mantle posted:

Electrical tape leaves a gross residue that is hard to clean though.

It's a small/cheap 256GB SSD. I'm not terribly concerned about any residue left over. Just don't think it's worth trying to drill out the snapped off screw. Some residue left over on the drive is fine. Messing up my laptop trying to get a completely optional SSD screwed in would be tough to accept.

slidebite posted:

Is this an m.2?
Electrical tape is a reasonably good insulator, so if you use make it as small as possible and don't cover up any chips or they're going to get warm(er).

I mean....it should be idling most of the time.....being used almost strictly for storage. Figure that should help keep temps down.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Lockback posted:

Vivobook's have some 14" aluminum body options and those are very good laptops for far less than an XPS on average. Razer, but those are super expensive. HP has some good aluminum body too.

Consumer laptops are much better now than when you got that laptop, A Vivobook or HP will be really solid these days.

I've got an aluminum body Zenbook that I bought about four years ago and it's still running strong. Bought my parents a Vivobook a couple years ago that they like. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Asus. Awfully nice/reliable laptops for the price.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Bouillon Rube posted:

How dumb would it be to throw $150 at an early 2015 MacBook Pro/Air?

Just need something lightweight and cheap for basic productivity stuff/browsing/3d printer slicing. From what I can tell the i5 5xxx processors that come with these still outperform the Celeron/Pentium processors that come with cheap Chromebooks these days, no?

Nine years is pushing it.....even if the previous owners took good care of the thing and didn't use it extensively. But with a clean wipe and reinstall.....I'd think something like that would still be capable of more basic tasks. I would personally put the $150 towards a new, lower end laptop however.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Bouillon Rube posted:

Yeah, the main challenge is finding one in decent shape. There are a ton on eBay (many with 1-2 year warranties) but a lot of them are clearly beat to poo poo.

I actually bought a used MacBook around 15 years ago for like $600 off ebay. Can't remember how long I had it before it crapped out.....but I don't think it was more than two or three years. Still got that brick in a box somewhere. Just don't think I'd ever consider buying a used laptop ever again. Especially considering that you don't have to drop a grand any longer for a decent, functional computer.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

Was that... a P-P-P-Powerbook?

No. It was one of the first generations of Macbook. One of the black polycarbonate models. Think it was a 2007 production model....and I probably bought it in late 2008 or early 2009.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

down1nit posted:

Oh, your inverter probably died. They all did that eventually. Reeeeeally bright screen though, compared to everything else out there. Good with the bad. You can find pictures of people's clutch cover melting lol. I may have some.

On those it was always the inverter, the screen cable, or the hinges. Sometimes the magsafe. The idea of this Mac was great but the execution ended up with a lot of annoyed everymen in my shop saying apple should stand for better quality. They were right. Lots of adhesive problems, plastic crumbling, hinge snapping, so many dead power supplies/magsafe, and gobs of heat from the (pretty decent at the time) CPU. That drat dvd drive too. The next version "unibody" plastic design was loving genius and set the stage for a pretty huge upgrade in laptop design worldwide, and persists to this day. It commands a price still I think.

drat the macbook, all hail the macbook!

Still, you have the last black Mac out there. Bring back black Mac.

=====

My professional "keep a device as long as possible" advice is to *only* buy macs used, or if you have the privilege and can do it: buy new with a good credit card (to get the card's extended warranty). Also, ideally, be in education to get a 10% (?) discount that helps offset the pricey full warranty that you will absolutely need as well.

Buying used from a trusted ebay company is cool and good. You are taking money from Tim Apple this way also.

Yeah....I have no idea what died....but it just stopped turning on altogether. I've got an older iBook from the early 00's that was still operable the last time I checked (probably a few years back).

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Well Played Mauer posted:

Apparently certified refurbished stuff on eBay is supposed to come with original or new accessories, but who knows. A charger is an accessory, right? Otherwise I’ll make up the price difference with a replacement.

I would be shocked if they (high volume ebay seller) sent you a refurb laptop without the charger.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

buffbus posted:

A luxury pickup truck is probably the best parallel possible for a 16" 2-in-1 ultralight. It's cool that it exists but I don't know who it's for.

Hadlock posted:

Luxury pickup trucks are just a modern replacement for luxury full size cars, Gen Xers and millennials are trying to be edgy using a 4 door truck as a family sedan, in the same way that millennials covet tiny houses as a rejection of boomer housing values

I don't care what anyone says......the Lincoln Mark LT (and the Blackwood) banged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Arrggghhh. My Zenbook touchpad is getting increasingly erratic. Really didn't want to have to replace it.....but it's getting close to that point.