Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I've been researching a lot of laptops and have pretty much decided that for what I want the Xiaomi Air 13.3 (new one with mx150, i5) is probably what I should buy.

Reasons I want it: Looks very handsome, charges via USB-C, solid specs, can add a second HD if i want (i think?) has a DGPU, is not heavy or large.

The chinese windows 10 isn't ideal but I was thinking that craigslist has a bunch of computers that have windows 7 licenses for like, $40. I've just the other day upgraded two computers from 8.1 to w10 for free and I heard w7 can do the same thing? So I could grab a license cheaply that way, right? I googled a bit to see how to transfer a license and it seems like it's not rocket science.

Right now my only portable PC device is a asus x205t or whatever. I don't think its even 2 lbs. Just want something with more oomph but is still really light. Considered XPS13 and if it came with an MX150 i'd probably pull the trigger but the DGPU would give me some pretty great flexibility.

So I guess tl;dr for web browsing, playing some stuff like Insurgency/CS:GO/Diablo3/WoW/Chivalry occasionally (i have a desktop at home, so this would be if I went to a friends to LAN around or whtever) this seems like a good bet.

My question is, is the i7 version an absolute waste of money for me (it seems so) and is there another computer I should be looking at? I don't really care about price. The whole USB-C (i have galaxy s8) is a huge thing for me so I don't have to bring a bunch of cords. Also it seems like I should be able to use my mobile power bank thing to greatly extend the battery life if necessary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

Can't you just re-install and pick a different language? Or is the license ONLY for the Chinese version?

From what I've understood it's a chinese specific license. I can change the language pack but certain characteristics remain chinese. Some of the sites I've seen actually show some screenshots of it and I think I just want regular ol' w10.

I'd love to be wrong, but they kind of address that head on, which is great.

Also, does anybody have any input on where the best place to buy one of these is and what their experience with getting it shipped to USA (north east) has been?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

So,

1. According to Techtablets and Mobile Tech Review, It has a Windows 10 Home license in the BIOS, just reinstall the OS from any Windows 10 ISO and it should activate fine in English.
2. You can't upgrade to windows 10 for free anymore, but it doesn't matter, see 1

You absolutely can do windows 10 from those keys, I did it twice in the last week, but thank you for the rest of your research- good to know about the bios/english thing.

The 8th gen refresh thing crossed my mind too. I googled around for a bit on a timeframe on that but the most recent announcement I saw re: any of their products was the 14 incher they're doing.

Theres no pressing need for me to buy it this very second but some form of mobile gaming would be nice within the next few weeks. I'm moving back closer to my social group so I'll be finally able to nerd out in person again. Another option kicking around in my skull was Helios 300 + an XP3 13 or something similar but this idea kinda covered all the bases for less money.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

With the new intel series coming out, is now kind of a bad time to buy a laptop similar to how buying one with a 900 series DGPU would be right before pascal came out?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Twerk from Home posted:

If you want multithreaded CPU performance and are buying in the 15W TDP slot (-U chips), then now is a bad time to buy. The XPS 13 doubling its core count overnight is a big deal. Changes on fatter laptops don't look as big.

Alright that kinda looks how I was figuring. Starting to look like I might kinda do what that other guy suggested and grab a Helios 300 and then something thats a bit more portable and supported than the Xiaomi Air 13.3, even though I love the looks and USB-C of the Xiaomi.

For something like the XPS 13 that charges via USB-C as well as a circular plug (as far as I understand the product) does it charge slower through USB C than the plug or whats the deal there? Is there terminology that I should look for wrt charging a device via USB-C to make sure its supported? As I mentioned before that was actually one of the biggest draws for me with the Xiaomi Air.

I'm starting to also consider the Samsung Pro as well since I mainly just need something that uses chrome, IRC, and can torrent small files occasionally, which it seems like a chromebook can do all of, and it looks like its easy enough to throw Ubuntu on there anyway which sounds fun. Good battery/light weight/snappy response/USB-C. The HP Spectre 13 looks like it fits the bill too but the fact that its HP just annoys me, which is probably unjustified.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Atomizer posted:

I played around with the Samsung CB Plus;

Awesome. I'm trying to figure out if I would really want to use any android apps at all. I have 2 android phones in front of me and I can't think of any app I use on them that can't be replicated in chrome to either the same effect or better.

If that is the case, the Pro would probably be a better move since its speedier in Chrome//has better linux compatibility right? The price difference is like $100 I think so its not a huge hurdle to get over

E: Also I was just googling around the other day and reading some stuff about getting Linux (Ubuntu in this case iirc) installed on these machines and it seemed like it was a little janky switching back and forth between ChromeOS and whatever linux distro. Was that just me misinterpreting what I was reading//one of those things where when you actually use it it is clear, or is it actually kinda janky?

Worf fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 16, 2017

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone tried charging a small Core M laptop/tablet from a regular powerbank through usb 3.1 type-c? There are several power profiles (p. 5) in the standard and it seems like it should work with the 5V/2A power bank, but it might also require 12V/1.5-3A. I don't have all the hardware to test it yet myself at the moment, which would've been pretty easy.

I've had some luck googling this question with regards to specific power bank-laptop combos, specifically the Xiaomi Air 13.3 and various powerbanks.

E: Also a lot of people will test that stuff on specific laptop models too so the info you want might be out there if you had a specific model in mind

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Amara posted:

Is there a particular set of laptops I should be looking at if I want a well-built light laptop that runs windows and photoshop/hearthstone is pretty much the extent of the strain I'd put on it? I'd like an SSD, a decent non-touch screen, and some sort of hdmi out. Like, how cheap can I conceivably get such a laptop? Refurbished or used would be fine as long as the battery was decent.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I had like the exact use requirements and they suggested the Acer Aspire e-15 and it's basically perfect

Atomizer posted:

You don't need anywhere near that price range for that functionality. Get this Acer, add a $50 128 GB m.2 SATA SSD from eBay, add 4 GB of DDR4 for ~$25 from eBay, and you're done. It meets all your requirements, has all of those components, and is about as lightweight as any 15" laptop. ~$425 for the 3 components and <10 minutes of opening the bottom panel and installing the hardware, and then either use Macrium Reflect to clone the boot drive or just make a free Windows 10 USB installation medium and do a fresh install (which is probably the better option to clear any bloatware.) You can Paypal me my half (we're going 50:50 of course ;) ) of the money I "saved" her. ;)

As an aside, Atomizer, while I was looking back to quote that rec for the guy I noticed you say that you like https://www.amazon.com/Acer-i5-8250U-NVIDIA-GeForce-SF314-52G-55WQ/dp/B0746P25QX more than the Xiaomi Air 13.3 w/ mx150, whats that based on? just so similar in spec/price but not totally hosed if something goes wrong?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Empress Brosephine posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L...XyeL&ref=plSrch

This is the one I. Went with. Should I add any extras to it

Nope, it was a solid rec imo. Has a decent size SSD and 8g of ram already.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Invisible Ted posted:

Hey folks, my current laptop is starting to die via a bad connection with the screen, so I'm beginning to shop around for a new laptop, since I can't afford to be without a computer as I am in school. I'm looking for something capable of light to moderate gaming (most intense game may be a ~1 year old game on all low settings), relatively durable, and my upper price limit is about $1.1k. I currently have a refurbished Dell Inspiron 15 5558, which has been fine for most things besides gaming. Keyboard with a number pad is preferable.

From reading a couple pages, the XPS 15 and Inspiron 7000 seem viable, but I'm pretty unimpressed with how little time the Inspiron 15 5558 has lasted me. Any suggestions? Laptop shopping nowadays seems pretty incomprehensible to me, so sorry if this seems kinda jumbled.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-E5-575G...ywords=acer+e15

numpad+decently built+will run anything you throw at it if you fiddle with settings

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't understand those things. Why would you buy a 13" laptop that weighs more than most 15" models?

uhm, the logo obviously

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Look at those giant-rear end bezels

at $1200 they didnt wanna skimp out on the bezels

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

NewFatMike posted:

I think it's because these are iPad Pro competitors, but for folks who need a real keyboard/laptop form factor. The pen is kind of a dead giveaway.

It'll have Google Play access, and things like Play Video/Music/Netflix local storage, space can probably get eaten up with a relative quickness. Keeps your SD card slot open for actually getting photos off your camera, too, instead of a local storage option.

man somebody should consider designing an operating system that supports those general features already, but in that form factor, they'd make millions

E: they could call it DOOS. The can-do operating system

Worf fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 21, 2017

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Will the new chip improve the igpu performance in the xps13 at all?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Mu Zeta posted:

When I was on the Thinkpad subreddit I suggested that Lenovo even offering 1366x768 as an option on any of the Thinkpads devalues the brand and a bunch of people downvoted me.

yea x768 sucks poo poo but you're still wrong so :shrug:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It totally, one hundred percent devalues the brand and there's no good reason for it either. The only reason that configuration even exists is so some beancounter piece of poo poo can save a couple hundred bucks on a big order by giving everybody in the company a loving migraine. If people hate using their work computers they don't think "i'm going to murder harold in accounting" they think "wow thinkpads give me a loving migraine I'm never buying a lenovo computer as long as I live."

and yet

quote:

some beancounter piece of poo poo
is the guy that lenovo is courting

not

quote:

wow thinkpads give me a loving migraine

:shrug:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

And that's shortsighted as hell and devalues the brand. Lenovo has such a gigantic legacy install base they can do basically whatever they want as long as they don't change the docking or charging ports on their fleet models. I don't mind having a 768 option for legacy apps that don't scale for poo poo but at this point the IPS panel costs nearly the same as the TN. There's no business application that requires TN, so there's no reason to continue putting displays that looked like poo poo in 2004 when they were made in a 2017 computer.

it devalues the brand that has significantly increased marketshare every year for at least 5+ years? by offering the most common option in their market?

consider this a downvote i guess

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

what % of the market share of the OP do lenovo models take up

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't get your argument. You seem to be saying that as long as Lenovo's market share is increasing, they should do absolutely nothing to change any of their computers. But I must be misunderstanding your point because that's breathtakingly dumb.

if i am gaining market share hand over fist it would be difficult to say that my product is losing value, if the primary purchasers of my product purchase it because i'm offering that option at that price point

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Wow. Well, I gave you the benefit of the doubt, I guess.

Let me ask another way. Should computer manufacturers wait until they are actively losing market share to upgrade or innovate their computers?

are you asking me if they should remove the most popular option from their lineup

no, they shouldn't

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's more than likely the reason why 768 panels are used are because most users of business laptops will be using a docking station where it doesn't really matter. From the Dell Latitudes and IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads I've serviced at my first IT job it was pretty much the case.

docking stations, projectors, im sure the list goes on

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yes, I saw that graph the first time you posted it. I agree that the majority of computers that people own have lovely displays. It has nothing to do with sales figures so I'm not sure why you keep using it.

quote:

According to analyst firm NPD, in 2015, 78 percent of all laptops sold had displays with 1366 x 768 resolution or lower.

via laptopmag.com

so idk how the fact that its extremely popular and purchased an extreme majority of the time has nothing to do with sales figures

frankly you just sound mad over screen resolutions :shrug:

i mean i think its a lovely resolution too for anything bigger than 11-12 inch displays but im not going to ignore reality over it

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Soylent Pudding posted:

I have a friend who just started his doctoral program. He's looking for an inexpensive windows laptop for taking notes, accessing online journals, and using microsoft word. The OP seems out of date for sub $400 laptops. According to amazon the more recent editions of the recommended laptops are the E200HA for ASUS and the Stream 11-y010nr for HP. Are these just as good as the discontinued (Asus X205 / HP Stream 11-??) recommended options?

As I was looking through the OP last night I was thinking that exact option needs to be updated. I actually Have the X205 right next to me here. The updated version, IIRC, is identical except with 4gb of RAM. If he truly needs something for the exact usage and absolutely requires/desires Windows, the E200HA would be good. It has amazing battery life and is extremely light weight. I can easily forget I even have it with me in my bag. Keyboard is surprisingly easy to type on for something so small.

At the ~250-275 price point your most viable options would be that model, a refurbed lenovo (x220, x230, basically things in the OP), or a chromebook. If I had a 'do-over' on that purchase I might go for the chromebook. 90% of the stuff I had wanted that computer for, ChromeOS can actually do, including torrent some tv shows or whatever. I also use that machine to play Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and X-Com UFO Defense sometimes so I have no regrets tho :colbert:

tl;dr the asus you mentioned is a good fit for the guy

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

if its on 24/7 couldnt you get a cheap cooling pad to assist it?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd like a smaller laptop in the used $500-600 range. 1920x1080 IPS screen with decent brightness and colors.
It'll be used for .NET development so I'd like the ability to cheaply stuff 16GB of memory into it.

Is there really an alternative to something like the X250? The downside to it is that you need a single 16GB stick, which is another $130.

That size/price range + 16 gig of ram you're probably looking at something like a dell inspiron 13. A lot of options that size do not have upgradeable RAM nor 16g by default

I would also strongly consider a used older lenovo (x220, x230, x240), but theres a lot of talk about how the trackpads are bad on some of the models etc, and I do not have any personal experience with them.

But if I was in your situation I would probably just suck it up and try a refurbed lenovo off of ebay and toss the RAM into it, for me personally, a lot of the trackpads people consider bad I've not really had a problem with so YMMV :shrug:

The biggest thing to be aware of when browsing these particular models on ebay (something i DO have experience with) is that the majority of models are 1366x768 screen resolution, so fishing for one thats x1080 can sometimes take patience.

I feel like if you're willing to go something 14" it would open up your options tremendously (t460, etc)

Worf fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 26, 2017

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

MrLamo2k1 posted:

Are there generally good deals on laptops on Black Friday? My current Chromebook is dying slowly and I'd like to switch to a relatively cheap 13-14" Windows 10 laptop for some light ssh/xwin work, YouTube and like Sega Genesis emulation. I'd also like to hit something that's sub $400, which might be possible on BF?

i think you're going to be making compromises at that price point/screen size whether you wait til black friday or not

$399 black friday laptop probably has a spinny HD and low res screen and possibly get boned on RAM too.

if a 15.6 inch laptop is doable theres an acer you can get brand new for ~$450 (after buying SSD/Ram) https://goo.gl/WzsSi6

otherwise you're probably looking at refurbs to get something with a 1080p screen. if you don't care about the screen res that opens it up but even on my 11something inch screen I wish it was 1080p at this point

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

MrLamo2k1 posted:

Are there generally good deals on laptops on Black Friday? My current Chromebook is dying slowly and I'd like to switch to a relatively cheap 13-14" Windows 10 laptop for some light ssh/xwin work, YouTube and like Sega Genesis emulation. I'd also like to hit something that's sub $400, which might be possible on BF?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-X240-Laptop-i7-4600U-2-7Ghz-8GB-RAM-256-GB-SSD-/172880008018?hash=item2840739352:g:vNcAAOSwtmRZxWKQ

only 15 pieces of feedback (100% feedback rating) but i would buy that for myself with no hesitation

Worf fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 27, 2017

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Does paying for the expedited shipping from places like gearbest actually expedite shipping?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

grimcreaper posted:

In my experience yes. Expedited tends to take 1 to 2 weeks instead of 3 to 5.

Cool, thats actually pretty significant. Their fast shipping option was something like 7 business days for $12

Thanks guys

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

My laptop is almost dead and I need help finding a new one. The OP looks a bit out of date and looking through the last few pages I don't have any clarity on what to do, so I was hoping to get some help here. This is what I can think of so far:

1) Relocates a few times a month but is only used plugged in and in secure places. Battery life is unimportant and likelihood of being dropped is minimal.
2) Games are nice but it's mostly indie stuff on Steam - I won't be running pvp fps at full specs or anything. Being able to run newer blockbuster games at low-mid specs is nice but not mandatory.
3) I don't want it to look or feel like poo poo, if possible.
4) Refurbished or similar is great but I'd rather go through the manufacturer or a well known name instead of some guy on ebay.
5) Anything under $700 is fantastic, but I'd be willing to go up to $800 or even $850 if necessary.

The last few pages where this has been answered aren't out of date

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074...GuYL&ref=plSrch

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

So I Was taking a gander at mx150 equipped laptops to see if anything new cane out and saw an hp envy 360 15t convertible. I have no interest in buying nor recommending it but i noticed it said the mx150 was 4gb dedicated. I thought that was a 2gb card? Or is this some sort of 2+2 thing?

Having trouble grabbing a link for it, on my phone on a bicycle atm and it wont paste properly

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

the list of laptops that comes up when you search 'mx150' at newegg is mind blowingly dumb

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Jose posted:

my asus n56v appears to be hosed and though it works with a power cord in it won't charge. I don't do a huge amount of stuff with it and basically I just want a 17 inch screen with not completely poo poo speakers and ideally an SSD. Every 17 inch laptop i see though is fairly expensive since they're all pretty high powered. Are there any cheap ones or am I out of luck?

A lot of people ITT will tell you the subjective reasons that they think 17 inch laptops are bad (size, weight, portability as a result, so on) but what other people think about those things is irrelevant.

17 inch laptops basically fall into two categories now for the most part I think: utter garbage (think: shoddy build quality and extremely lovely options like 1600x900 resolution @ 17.3 inches) and really expensive gaming type machines

Could you tell us more about your budget? (preferred/max) and what you're going to be using it for? And also your comfort level with doing a hard drive/ram installation yourself

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Otoh a small Bluetooth speaker is like $20 so that issue is easily solved

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

compare it to other new $350 computers

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I prefer the turbocoup

What is the difference between the regular and s model?

Worf fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 10, 2017

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

a brand new chromebook

or a refurbished chromebook

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Can you show me where I can find such a thing? $1K Canadian. Also the actual budget is like $500 Canadian.

Thanks -- this actually seems like it might be a good option, and it does seem like they come in ~14inch screen size (13.3 and other weirdness).

I think the Acer Chromebook 14 is one of the recommendations usually thrown around in here for that screen size- with the caveat that theres one that has a shittier resolution IIRC. I checked amazon canada and I think this is probably one that would work. https://www.amazon.ca/Acer-Chromebo...r+chromebook+14

I can't speak to it though I'm not really a chromebook expert, I just absorbed some random info from reading this thread a lot

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i feel like long term reliability + laptop is not the best direction to go in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Thought: you should think about a chromebook
Suggestion: you should listen to my thoughts