Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
A friend is looking to buy a dad's day gift of a laptop in the 6-700 dollar range. He says it'll be used for photoshop, but there's no real chance of getting a decent screen at that price is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Convinced my boss to buy a Yoga 2 Pro and goddamn that thing will NOT connect to our wifi network. It will connect to any other network around, but it just can't get an IP on our network at all. I spent about 4 hours on it today doing everything I could including a complete recovery and fresh boot, but nada.

Manually entering an IP works, but is not a viable solution for a traveling non tech savvy person. (No other machines have trouble connecting to our wifi routers)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

P.N.T.M. posted:

I'm using the Intel Centrino Advanced card, and it had the same reaction to my college's wifi network. Their ITS guy had to do two things to get my laptop working: He added an encryption standard WP*something, not WPA2, and he removed Intel's wireless drivers. My card reverted to Window's drivers, and that fixed it.

As far as the encryption standard, he explained that Windows stopped including it in 8.1, and it was the specific method used by my school. As far as the drivers, he said that I wouldn't be able to do more "advanced" wireless work with the Windows default drivers. When I pressed him, he said "things like Linux and hacking." Not my cup of tea, but if that means anything to you...

Otherwise, the Win drivers work very nicely with the card, and I am experiencing no problems thus far. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I'll try those tomorrow.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So far nothing has fixed the weird Yoga 2 WiFi issue (which appears to be widespread). Someone suggested downloading the november wifi drivers here. I went to download them and they are 260 megs. Two hundred and sixty loving megs for a wifi driver???

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Did you reply to the wrong person?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Well absolutely nothing will fix this WiFi issue. Just going to return it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

evol262 posted:

Hint: I had a "wifi issue". It doesn't exist in Linux. It also doesn't exist if you wipe Windows and reinstall fresh without the Lenovo poo poo and use whatever drivers/settings are shipped by default in 8.1.

Edit:

The implication here isn't that you should run Linux, it's that it's not some unresolvable hardware defect. Reinstall Windows from a clean ISO and it'll probably resolve, than reinstall whatever Lenovo stuff you want from their website.

I don't have a clean ISO file also neither do I really have time to mess with it anymore. He leaves tomorrow for a week long shoot and needs it so I'm just going to have to recommend that he return it and grab something else.

Also I did a "Clean Boot" where I disabled absolutely everything but native Windows stuff (services, apps, startup apps, etc) and it still had the problem.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mmm11105 posted:

Yoga 2 Pro, if you don't mind 0.61"

And despite my wifi woes I'd still recommend it. That thing is insanely awesome for the short time I used it. Also holy crap a touch screen on a laptop is something I didn't realize I wanted so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FISHMANPET posted:

Hmmm, this looks pretty interesting. I was looking at a Dell Inspiron 17 for my mom, but it still had a dedicated GPU, which she doesn't need. This looks like it should fit the bill perfectly, doesn't seem to be any glaring problems, other than it's not a Thinkpad.

My boss returned that Yoga 2 Pro (:() and I instructed him to get this instead and I'm currently setting it up as we speak. It's a beautiful machine so far! Only drawback is that it's not super light.